would you still buy ipad1

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by livingsimply, Apr 23, 2011.

1. livingsimply macrumors newbie

I have a macbook air that I use for my work. I'd like to buy an ipad for my wife to use at home, for emaiing, facebook and checking the web etc. We would be upgrading from a mac G4 laptop.
    Would the original ipad work for us for a few years and apps still be available? The camera isn't important to us and I don't know if there's enough difference for me to save up more to buy the newer version.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

My dad bought the iPad 1 right after the iPad 2 was released. He got a nice 200€ discount which made it a no-brainer. Camera is totally useless for him and the other things were more or less useless for him too. While the latest OS and app support may be dropped sooner for iPad 1, it will still be fine for a few years.

3. Nightarchaon macrumors 65816

Nightarchaon

bought my iPad 1 just as they released the 2, got the wifi 3g model for nothing with a 2 year contract, discounted to £15 a month for 18GB a month

i now don't use my Pay as you Go iPhone 3gs for anything other than texts and calls, and occasional ipod usage, mostly using the iPad for web browsing, email, apps and everything else (i usually get to watch a TV show on the way to work on the train, and a show on the way home , or a movie split between the two)

suddenly im finding my iPhones battery is now lasting a full day without having to charge it at work, it used to be almost empty by lunchtime before i got my iPad.

Dont see the need for a camera on it, i don't use facetime, and see no need for it, i have my iphone as a camera if i need it, and its a more manageable size.

Also don't like the stupid magnetic case, it might protect the screen , but offers no protection anywhere else.. My iPad one is happy in its apple iPad 1 case, protected from scratches and the elements when i walk to and from work.

4. nathanneuroticx macrumors newbie

Only things added are a longer battery life, new design, camera, better graphics performance and the new A5 chip.

All the apps work for both versions, except for apps that use the camera (obviously).

If you don't need any of the new features, go for it.
    It's well worth the discount Apple are currently offering.

5. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...well, since :apple: doesn't support the US military and won't ship directly to us without using crazy expensive services like APO box to re-ship...

Since the base PX doesn't have any iPad2's in stock and they only received 16Gb wifi models twice now so far...

Since the trifecta in Japan and the short supply of batteries...

And since I got my 32Gb 3G iPad for $449 NIB leaving me plenty of $$ for accessories, yes, I'd still buy an original iPad:D

6. Young Spade macrumors 68020

For those things, you should definitely get the iPad 1. If you aren't going to be using the camera (which isn't THAT great) and you aren't going to be playing extreme games, the iPad 1 should be great.

The iPad 3 will be a major upgrade from both the iPad 1 and 2, I think anyway. Depending on what type of content you're going to put on it of course.