Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSingandiDance

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
I know there were a number of people hurt and upset that Apple's nomenclature for the most recent iPhone was 4S and not 5 as many had alluded to prior to the announcement.

Would such a bait-and-switch lead any of you to recoil and reconsider your position on purchasing?

Are those people who are still waiting for the "iPhone 5" eagerly awaiting "iPad 3"?

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
Not going to happen with a tablet. There's no two year contract to hold people down and require different product cycle, and this isn't a "S" upgrade due to the new high resolution display.

I don't think most will care about the name if it gets a Retina which is pretty much a sure thing at this point.

Dubthedankest

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2010
What?

It wasn't the name people were bummed about - it was the design elements associated with each name. People wanted the "iPhone 5" revamp. Who cares about the name itself.

Nor was it a bait and switch.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I know some people who wanted an iPhone 5 last year and did not buy, since the year before they purchased the iPhone 4 (their first iPhone). This year they are awaiting the iPhone 6, not the iPhone 5. and will only buy if it is an iPhone 6 this year.

:p

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Forget the naming and the form factor, its all about the features. I passed on both the ipad 1 and ipad2 for the hopes of a retina display. If for whatever reason we don't see this this time around, I will just go and get an ipad 2 from someone.

Doombringer

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2012
It's more about the features than design. Really, we may start seeing less design changes now that Apple is finding what "works." iPhone 3 to 4 was a noteworthy change... but can the 4's design really be improved that much? iPad 1 to 2 was a big change in thickness, but as we're seeing with the next device there really isn't much being changed -- the Home button may or may not be there, but the bezel's still there, the back is virtually unchanged...

So, I'm looking more for features than design at this point. The designs are killer and only need iterative improvements. If they call it an iPad 2S, then fine. Bring on that Retina display and more power, more battery. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.