Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you switch from a 13" MBA to a 13" rMBP?

• Yes

Votes: 70 49.3%
  • No

Votes: 72 50.7%

• Total voters

mobidutch

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
Texas
I must confess I'm awfully tempted. I find my eyes strain on my MBA 13", especially when it comes to smaller text. Yes, I can enlarge the fonts but then they become blurrier and cause eye strain that way.

I'm with you. I've been a long time Windows ClearType user and just got my first Mac (2012 MBA 256/8/i5) a week ago. I can handle the Mac OS X font rendering on the TB display with Cmd+, but on the smaller MBA screen that takes up too much space, and I find the font rendering is causing eye strain. ClearType was maybe not as 'pretty', but MUCH easier on the eyes. I run Parallels for occasional W7 stuff I need to do, and it's almost a relief to see that crisp fullscreen W7 desktop...

I stopped in at an Apple store last night to look at the retina screen one more time...and the difference is HUGE. At this point I am pretty sure I will return the MBA and get the 13" rMBP instead, even if it means having to wait a month for availability.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I'm with you. I've been a long time Windows ClearType user and just got my first Mac (2012 MBA 256/8/i5) a week ago. I can handle the Mac OS X font rendering on the TB display with Cmd+, but on the smaller MBA screen that takes up too much space, and I find the font rendering is causing eye strain. ClearType was maybe not as 'pretty', but MUCH easier on the eyes. I run Parallels for occasional W7 stuff I need to do, and it's almost a relief to see that crisp fullscreen W7 desktop...

I stopped in at an Apple store last night to look at the retina screen one more time...and the difference is HUGE. At this point I am pretty sure I will return the MBA and get the 13" rMBP instead, even if it means having to wait a month for availability.

Yeah I was comparing the 15" Retina to the 13" Air at the store and there is a major difference. I will compare with the 13" Retina to give it a more fair comparison, but I predict it'll be a big difference too. It's not just how sharp it is, but it's also the colors. The Retina just makes text "pop" a bit more. Whereas the Air's text is not only grainy, but it feels almost sedated.

I don't mind waiting until 13" Retina Refurbs are in the Apple online store. Could take months...

Just sucks that I'll have to make up the price difference. According to rumors, if the 13" Retina sells at $1699, it'll be quite a big difference to make up...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.