Other Would you switch to a watch only? (No iPhone)

would you switch to a watch only?


  • Total voters
    36
  • Poll closed .

spacebro

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 1, 2015
552
480
I am excited for my phone (and wallet and keys) to someday be replaced by a watch. It’s annoying to always be checking my pockets to make sure I still got my phone. And you have to never drop it, forget living a carefree life you are carrying this fragile thing you can never drop. The iPad should be used for 80% of what people use iPhones for and the other 20% can be in watch apps. Once the watch can stand alone, the iPhone is 100% redundant. It doesn’t bring much on the go because anywhere it is inappropriate to pull out an iPad is equally inappropriate to browse an iphone. Nobody anywhere is talking about going watch-only what are you folks’ thoughts on this?
 

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
2,119
1,081
Central New York
You cannot use an Apple Watch without pairing to an iPhone, so this scenario could not even happen the way things are right now.

:apple:
 
Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
22,266
14,996
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
I am excited for my phone (and wallet and keys) to someday be replaced by a watch. It’s annoying to always be checking my pockets to make sure I still got my phone. And you have to never drop it, forget living a carefree life you are carrying this fragile thing you can never drop. The iPad should be used for 80% of what people use iPhones for and the other 20% can be in watch apps. Once the watch can stand alone, the iPhone is 100% redundant. It doesn’t bring much on the go because anywhere it is inappropriate to pull out an iPad is equally inappropriate to browse an iphone. Nobody anywhere is talking about going watch-only what are you folks’ thoughts on this?
No.

In general I hate things strapped to my wrist, especially if it gets tight or too loose.

Much rather be carrying around my phone in my pocket. I can leave it on my desk at work or on the arm of the couch at home and move about freely without anything strapped to me.
 

spacebro

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 1, 2015
552
480
So you want the watch to replace your phone so you don’t have to carry it around? But you rather carry around an iPad? o_O
If you’re going to be out places and spend a lot of time looking at iOS, may as well be serious about it and bring the iPad. It’s easier to bring than a magazine.
 

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
33,493
34,583
I am excited for my phone (and wallet and keys) to someday be replaced by a watch. It’s annoying to always be checking my pockets to make sure I still got my phone. And you have to never drop it, forget living a carefree life you are carrying this fragile thing you can never drop. The iPad should be used for 80% of what people use iPhones for and the other 20% can be in watch apps. Once the watch can stand alone, the iPhone is 100% redundant. It doesn’t bring much on the go because anywhere it is inappropriate to pull out an iPad is equally inappropriate to browse an iphone. Nobody anywhere is talking about going watch-only what are you folks’ thoughts on this?

My thoughts differ from yours. I don’t have an issue or a problem losing my iPhone or dropping it enough to be concerned where I feel I need to rely on an Apple Watch soley without my iPhone. Even having a minimal display like that alone would not be sufficient for my needs. And the technology is not even close to being ready for something like that Apple Watch being a replacement for an iPhone in the sense of battery requirements, and even with the privacy of making or receiving phone calls.
 

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
22,757
15,222
Jacksonville, Florida
I tried using my AW for a phone call and I was out in public and there was not enough volume to even hear the caller. At the minimum you would need earpods or some type of BT headphones. The speaker is cr^p.
 

BasicGreatGuy

macrumors G5
Sep 21, 2012
14,366
14,333
In the middle of several books.
I tried using my AW for a phone call and I was out in public and there was not enough volume to even hear the caller. At the minimum you would need earpods or some type of BT headphones. The speaker is cr^p.
I have taken calls on the watch and it was quiet enough I could easily hear. Try that at the mall, on the street downtown etc. and there is no way to hear unless like you said, you have headphones.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: EM2013

JPack

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2017
5,804
9,078
Some day, absolutely.

Flexible display + flexible PCB + flexible li-ion battery = Future Watch

It makes sense to have a 6" or 8" flexible display wrapped around a person's forearm rather than carrying a rigid smartphone. Not only can you carry a much larger display, you don't need to pull out your phone every time to look at notifications.
 

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
2,033
1,711
If you’re going to be out places and spend a lot of time looking at iOS, may as well be serious about it and bring the iPad. It’s easier to bring than a magazine.
A phone is way easier to bring than carrying around an iPad.

And a watch alone is such an inconvenience to text or call.
 
  • Like
Reactions: SRLMJ23

akash.nu

macrumors G3
May 26, 2016
8,870
10,306
Don’t think it’s going to happen anytime soon unless we started developing watches that can have bigger screen on demand.
 

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
33,493
34,583
Don’t think it’s going to happen anytime soon unless we started developing watches that can have bigger screen on demand.
Even with a larger display, that’s not compelling enough for me (And likely others) to abandon the iPhone. The technology and battery life wouldn’t be sufficient enough with LTE being more than an Apple Watch Battery capacity could hold, especially given how often we check our smart phones every day, the Battery life would drop quickly.
 

saltd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
759
369
I believe the AW is an excellent satellite device to the iPhone, but only that. Any screen big enough to be useful would look ridiculous on the arm anyhow, and be quite unwieldy.
 
  • Like
Reactions: SRLMJ23
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.