Other Would you switch to a watch only? (No iPhone)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spacebro, Mar 5, 2018.

?

would you switch to a watch only?

Poll closed Mar 12, 2018.
  1. Would switch to Apple Watch, no iphone

13.9%
  2. iPhone and Apple watch

61.1%
  3. iPhone only forever

25.0%
  1. spacebro Suspended

I am excited for my phone (and wallet and keys) to someday be replaced by a watch. It’s annoying to always be checking my pockets to make sure I still got my phone. And you have to never drop it, forget living a carefree life you are carrying this fragile thing you can never drop. The iPad should be used for 80% of what people use iPhones for and the other 20% can be in watch apps. Once the watch can stand alone, the iPhone is 100% redundant. It doesn’t bring much on the go because anywhere it is inappropriate to pull out an iPad is equally inappropriate to browse an iphone. Nobody anywhere is talking about going watch-only what are you folks’ thoughts on this?

2. raqball macrumors 68000

Screen on a watch is not big enough to accomplish much other than reading notifications or short and simple tasks.

3. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

Nope. Too small. I'd have one for runs or when I want to go out without a phone but never exclusively.

4. spacebro thread starter Suspended

But you could pull out your iPad and have a nicer time reading that thing.

5. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

sitting on a beach watching a DC simulation ...
    Recommend you add a choice or two for non-Apple options....
    Watch is good for notifications however I don't always wear one. Especially if going to an event or special occasion.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

7. EM2013 macrumors 68000

EM2013

So you want the watch to replace your phone so you don’t have to carry it around? But you rather carry around an iPad? o_O

8. FatMax macrumors 6502

FatMax

9. SRLMJ23, Mar 5, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2018

SRLMJ23 Contributor

SRLMJ23

You cannot use an Apple Watch without pairing to an iPhone, so this scenario could not even happen the way things are right now.

:apple:

10. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

No.

In general I hate things strapped to my wrist, especially if it gets tight or too loose.

Much rather be carrying around my phone in my pocket. I can leave it on my desk at work or on the arm of the couch at home and move about freely without anything strapped to me.

11. spacebro thread starter Suspended

If you’re going to be out places and spend a lot of time looking at iOS, may as well be serious about it and bring the iPad. It’s easier to bring than a magazine.

12. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

But more difficult to bring than an iPhone.

13. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

My thoughts differ from yours. I don’t have an issue or a problem losing my iPhone or dropping it enough to be concerned where I feel I need to rely on an Apple Watch soley without my iPhone. Even having a minimal display like that alone would not be sufficient for my needs. And the technology is not even close to being ready for something like that Apple Watch being a replacement for an iPhone in the sense of battery requirements, and even with the privacy of making or receiving phone calls.

14. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

No it’s an amazing accessory but could never replace my phone.

15. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Even though I really like my AW s3 with all that it does for me, there is no way in the world I would use only my watch.

16. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I tried using my AW for a phone call and I was out in public and there was not enough volume to even hear the caller. At the minimum you would need earpods or some type of BT headphones. The speaker is cr^p.

17. BasicGreatGuy, Mar 5, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2018

BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I have taken calls on the watch and it was quiet enough I could easily hear. Try that at the mall, on the street downtown etc. and there is no way to hear unless like you said, you have headphones.

18. Adam.Kb2Jpd macrumors member

New Apple Watch 3 use LTE so you could pair to any ios device.

19. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

Some day, absolutely.

Flexible display + flexible PCB + flexible li-ion battery = Future Watch

It makes sense to have a 6" or 8" flexible display wrapped around a person's forearm rather than carrying a rigid smartphone. Not only can you carry a much larger display, you don't need to pull out your phone every time to look at notifications.

20. SRLMJ23 Contributor

SRLMJ23

I own a Series 3 LTE. You can only pair to an iPhone, there is no Watch app for the iPad.

:apple:

21. EM2013 macrumors 68000

EM2013

A phone is way easier to bring than carrying around an iPad.

And a watch alone is such an inconvenience to text or call.

22. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

Don’t think it’s going to happen anytime soon unless we started developing watches that can have bigger screen on demand.

23. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Even with a larger display, that’s not compelling enough for me (And likely others) to abandon the iPhone. The technology and battery life wouldn’t be sufficient enough with LTE being more than an Apple Watch Battery capacity could hold, especially given how often we check our smart phones every day, the Battery life would drop quickly.

24. saltd macrumors 6502a

saltd

I believe the AW is an excellent satellite device to the iPhone, but only that. Any screen big enough to be useful would look ridiculous on the arm anyhow, and be quite unwieldy.

25. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I have the black stainless LTE model and the speaker is crap and at best could only be used in a quiet area. I do not wish to wear headphones all day. I need the ability to answer texts and emails so leaving my phone behind is not an option.