Would you take a 2012 cMBP over rMBP for $900 less?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AlvinNguyen, Aug 30, 2012.

1. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

Hey guys,

I currently have a rMBP Base BTO with 16gb of RAM. However, today I just picked up a brand new cMBP 2012 - also base unit - seller threw in a OWC Mercury 6G 240GB SSD and 16GB RAM upgrade - all for $1300 :D The price was incredible so I figured why not checked it out. Ended up buying it - it came with a receipt - brand new and sealed - the guy just wanted cash since he used gift cards to buy the laptop.

So with that in mind - I'm not sure if I should keep the cMBP or rMBP - I travel about 10 days every 2-3 months but when I'm not traveling the laptop is hooked up to a 27" Thunderbolt Display. Selling the rMBP and keeping the cMBP would give me an extra $900.

Would you take the cMBP over a rMBP if it's that much less? Thoughts?

2. aluren macrumors 65816

I would sell the cMBP and make a profit, while keeping the rMBP...

3. Silmarien macrumors member

Definitely keep the cMBP and sell the Retina. I see no real reason to keep it since you dont need the retina screen.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

My thoughts? Mmmm…

I have the 15" MacBook Pro from 2011 with the older design. It works great, I love it. I bought the MacBook Pro with Retina display on whim really. Is it good value? It is faster than my former computer. It's got a beautiful display, crisp colors and terrific viewing angles. I usually fly with my MacBook Pro; right now I'm on a trip and it's no different—well except I'm carrying my new Retina MacBook Pro—and it does feel a lot lighter; it might not sound like much, but sometimes every bit counts. Battery life is good. Even some redesign changes like moving the two USB ports onto oppose sides of the computer is a good change; now I can finally use my 3G USB modem without blocking the second USB port!

Sometimes you can't just ask would you do it for this or that—to me I can easily justify the extra because my perception of value is different from yours. I stated how much I enjoy this computer and how it's worthwhile; yes I can justify the $1500 difference between my computer and a similarly configured classic MacBook Pro, let alone $900. If you asked me something else, perhaps something about fashion I'd probably wouldn't be able to justify it.

What I'm trying to say is, if you enjoy using your Retina MacBook Pro, maybe you shouldn't try to quantify it. If you're counting, then obviously keeping the classic MacBook Pro would be a good decision. Again personally I wouldn't give up the Retina MacBook Pro for anything else!

5. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I dunno....what's more important to YOU?

The pros and cons of the rMBP vs. the cMBP have been endlessly debated on this forum. Both machines have strengths as well as weaknesses, with both often being fairly subjective. Honestly, this debate has almost progressed to the point of being 'waffles versus pancakes' or 'pirates versus ninjas'.

How important are the features of the rMBP to you? Do you use a laptop to earn a living, and if so, how much would the retina's features boost your productivity and earnings? How satisfied are you with the screen and performance of the classic? How often do you update your laptops? Finally, how important is the $900 to you?

You scored one hell of a deal on your classic MacBook Pro. My personal, subjective opinion is that unless you really need or can profit by the features of the retina, keep the classic and use the savings to buy a another computer when you really need a new one later down the road.

And for the record, I prefer waffles… unless were talking about really good blueberry pancakes!

6. inlinevolvo macrumors 6502

For that price difference I would. I struggled with this decision but justified the rmbp through points and cash back, I got my base rmbp for 1600.

7. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Personally I would keep the cMBP depending if the graphics is 1GB and not 512MB. If this was the case, I'd save the $900 and put that towards reselling the cMBP for next year when a rMBP 2.0 is released.

8. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

I'd keep the classic and get a second generation retina once prices come down and they iron out the apparent production challenges.

9. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

I second that. $900 can go a long way toward a new mac in a few years. Because you use a display at work much of the time, and have a SSD, the benefits of the rMBP are waisted.

10. robvas macrumors 68020

11. Drask macrumors regular

This should answer 90% of the questions asked in this forum. Seriously.

12. amoda macrumors 6502a

I agree with RockyRoad and everyone else suggesting to sell the rMBP.

Sell it while it's hot, and then next year when the rMBP v2.0 comes out. You will likely be able to sell the cMBP for $1,500-1700 relatively easily and with the $900 you saved you can get the rMBP v2.0 if you reeaally want it.

13. AlvinNguyen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ended up taking the cMBP back to apple and got a $1799 gift card :D still get to keep my rMBP. I tried using it but man we've been spoiled by that retina display!!!

14. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

Well played. That was what I would have done too.

15. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Is the cMBP stolen? :eek: $1300 is an awesome price and I can't help but to think what would cause somebody to sell something used that was only recently acquired (purchased or whatever)...

What apps do you use, and will you want to live with fuzzy and jagged icons (upscaled icons to match rMBP's resolution) until upgraded versions come out?

----------

+1

Retina is nice, but by the time apps and bandwidth catch up, the mid-2013~2015 MBP will have a graphics card that can properly drive the display, with no ghosting or any other goofy issues...

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Good decision :)

17. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Nice job! A buddy of mine sold me a white MB last year for $500 because he got it as a gift. I took a chance and returned it to Apple for $1000 and I still have that gift card, saving it for the Retina probably.