Would you take dating advice from a TV show?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by espiritujo, May 24, 2012.

?

Do you take advice from TV and movies?

1. Thats how I live my life

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Sometimes

16.7%
  3. That is ridiculous!

83.3%
  1. espiritujo macrumors member

espiritujo

The other day I got a phone call from one of my best friends who had been in dire need of advice of a girl. Being the friend that I am, I tried helping him out, but I didn't really know what to tell him. Long story short, he had to pick between these two ladies and he had a hard time picking who. Honestly, I wasn't much of a help from him, so I told him why don't you just watch some of those TV shows on Netflix that you love, and take the advice from there. When I told him this, I was referring to shows like How I Met Your Mother or Friday Night Lights. I meant it as a joke, and it made me wonder, "Could these shows help me with my own personal love life?"

I've never really taken to heart what the media portrays for relationships. While I find it nice and cute, I've always wanted to do my own thing, removing the whole cliche of it all. My question to you is do you guys ever take to heart some of the advice that sitcoms or movies have to offer? Advice such as dating, marriage, growing up, moving on, etc.

2. Hastings101 macrumors 68010

Hastings101

I get all of my advice from Seinfeld. That's probably why I break up with my girlfriends over things like an annoying laugh or weird habits.

3. Fazzy macrumors 6502

This is the only advice ive taken from a TV show:

"Looking at cleavage is like looking at the sun. You don't stare at it. It's too risky. You get a sense of it and then you look away."-- Jerry Seinfeld

:D

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

More words:
    Jer-eee, Jer-eee, Jer-eee, Jer-eee.

6. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

Hello? Love Connection. Chuck Woolery was the man!

7. rei101 macrumors 6502a

Information is information, it doesn't matter the source. Dating, as many other things, is a learning process that never ends.

I have been reading books about ego, I saw this movie The Love Guru and it was good actually.

The more information you can get, the better. There are many pdf about dating around.

Just start to create your "techniques" based on who you are, what works for you does not work for others. Basically si about your integrity.

A guy with divorce parents wont do or look for the same things as a guy family oriented for example. Many variables, learn about yourself and what you like.

Just remember, if you are a teen or early 20's you wont find the love of your life, too young and to many variables, so take it easy. Usually you fall in love, she leaves (or you) but if everything went fine you will meet again a few years later. Do not loose your head, if you do, probably you are too needed because of something that happened to you as a teen or as a kid and you are too codependant, or probably something you just learned.