Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/sys/657591059.html

I may be considering this trade as i think that I really do not need all the power of a mac pro. Currently I have the 2006 Mac Pro base model but have added a airport and 500GB HD as well as a two port eSata card. I have two monitors currently and I would be giving him my second one (a 19 in).

However, there is a dent on the side panel that is noticable and When i had first tried to sell the machine and got an estimate on its value I was told that the dent voided my apple care though when I last called apple for something else they went on the assumption that my apple care is still good so I am not clear on that issue. Furthermore, I can't seem to find anything in the terms or conditions that states that accidental damage voids the warranty at all.

I am attaching a picture of the damage so you all can see

So my question to you all is should I try to offer it? I will absolutely tell him about the dent and that if he is still interested I will try my best to look into the status of the warranty

Attachments

• IMG_0254.JPG
    IMG_0254.JPG
    616.5 KB · Views: 70

kmarketing

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2004
Hi,

If you really want the macbook pro, I think you should offer it then.

The thing is, will the mbp owner want to trade his machine for yours?

Personally I think that the mbp is worth more than your mac pro. But it may be what he is looking for.

Good Luck!

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran
Hi,

If you really want the macbook pro, I think you should offer it then.

The thing is, will the mbp owner want to trade his machine for yours?

Personally I think that the mbp is worth more than your mac pro. But it may be what he is looking for.

Good Luck!

out of curiosity why do you feel that the MBP is worth more than my machine?

kmarketing

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2004
Hi,

I would say the mbp is worth more because your model is from 2006 with the warranty probably voided, and with damage.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
It's definitely worth it.....for you.

I'd take a 2.4 GHz MBP over your 2 year old Mac Pro. I mean, the Mac Pro is probably still a bit faster, but he has a very new MBP with 3 GB of RAM and AppleCare. Even disregarding the software he promises to load onto the system for you, it's still a fantastic trade for you if he makes it.

What's your other monitor? I wouldn't take your 19" if you offered it. I'd probably want at least 20" widescreen.

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran
It's definitely worth it.....for you.

I'd take a 2.4 GHz MBP over your 2 year old Mac Pro. I mean, the Mac Pro is probably still a bit faster, but he has a very new MBP with 3 GB of RAM and AppleCare. Even disregarding the software he promises to load onto the system for you, it's still a fantastic trade for you if he makes it.

What's your other monitor? I wouldn't take your 19" if you offered it. I'd probably want at least 20" widescreen.

the other monitor is a 24 gateway that i just bought a few months back- I am not really interested in selling it

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran
here is a small update-i called apple this morning and they told me that the warranty is NOT voided. They said that if a person brings in the machine for repairs and the issue is not traced back to the dent, then they will be able to get support. However, if the issue can be traced then no support will be given but it sounded like at least they would be able to take it in and at least have them look at it

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran
So today I got a call from the guy. Apprently he is interested in trading. My plan is if he agrees to it after seeing the photos I sent him, I will meet him at an Apple Store and have them fully test both machines thoroughly and assuming both machines pass, we will exchange

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.