Would you take your 3g back due to light leak?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by loskickking23, Aug 12, 2008.

1. loskickking23 macrumors 6502a

I have a light leak between the bezal and the glass and I mean alot of light.I had the phone sense day one.I want to take it back but I have a perfect white 16gb except for the light leak.I have perfect battery life,no small cracks,no other problems.I almost dont want to take it back because I dont know what will be wrong with the next one I get.My only problem is I work outside and im thinking maybe dirt or water can get in the crack where the light is leaking from.What would you guys do?

2. deluxe498 macrumors newbie

i dont have the 3g but i would highly suggest waiting to get it replaced. even now they still have replacements at the apple store and you may even get a phone thats worse than the one you have now.,

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I would take it back immediately. If it bothers you, then it should go back without a fuss by Apple Genius' and a replacement in about 2 minutes would suffice...:cool:

4. Tosser macrumors 68030

At once.

Just like I would take any other electronics back which weren't up to more than a substandard quality.

5. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

If your not happy you can take it back, but you might have more problems with the new one...

Got any pics so we can see how bad the light leak is?

6. michael31986 macrumors 68030

its not that serious, its not ruining your way of using the phone and unless its a huge light leak i wouldn't take it back since its rare u find a perfect 3g and white too boot.

7. nottooshabby macrumors 6502

Wait till the plastic cracks, then take it back :D....I just noticed light leak on mine last night....Kind of pissed about it, but I'm afraid to get a phone with something worse like stuck pixels or something.

8. Tosser macrumors 68030

Two very scary posts which says something really important about the (lack of) quality of recent Apple products.

9. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I disagree. I posted something a few posts back that I have purchased 5 phones, 3 1st generation and now 2 white 3G phones along with four Macs. Not one issue with any of them. I refuse to believe the quality is going down hill. Possible that a few have been skipped in inspection or simply didn't get noticed as bad.

10. Tosser macrumors 68030

Haha, you ”disagree” and ”refuse to believe the quality is going down hill”? You realise that means that a refusal means you will not even believe it if it stared you in the face?

Just because you posted about NOT having problems with Apple hardware, you seem to think that noone else has, or that you can take your experience and extrapolate it to everyone.

Many more than ”a few” ones skipped on inspection have been reported. And had it been solely a bad batch, then that bad batch would have already been tracked down on forums on the intarweb.

Well, guess what: It’s scary because so many people are reporting problems. So many people have problems that even the ones with said problems are hesitant to have a faulty product exchanged for a new one, because they fear the next one might be even worse.

If that doesn’t say something really important about the QC at Apple, nothing will.

Need I mention I also have had a _slew_ of problems with faulty MBPs and hdd-iPods?

Add: Btw, I knew you had written the "sunshine story" (in another thread, btw). But if you read that thread, you'll notice that I already had responded to you _before_ you wrote "I already wrote how a good experience I have had, so noone else can have any problems" (or something just like that).

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=6026361&postcount=20

11. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

I wouldn't yet...
    The night before i realized i had the leak i had just took 2 hours to put on an invisible shield. I would probably return it, but its not that big of a deal since i have a case over it so i don't even notice it at night. However, once that shield comes off i will probably bring it to them, anyways over time if you get any scratches you can bring it to them with your light leak problem and will replace it so its good as new!

12. bryonbrock macrumors member

Your damn right I would take that thing back!

13. 08mxkfx macrumors regular

08mxkfx

I had a light leak so took mine back and got a brand new one.

14. loskickking23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah my wife has a black 8gb and no light leak what so ever and thats not helping at all.But shes having issues with hers not responding when she's taking the phone away from her ear screen doesnt light up for her to hit end call.

15. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

does she have a screen cover on it?

Also, mine has MINOR light leak, and im sure it's a manufacturing defect, I would wait a little bit, give apple time to address the issue so you'll get a newer revision.

You have a year of apple care anyways, dont worry about it, you can take care of it whenever.

16. loskickking23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That makes sense and also she does have a screen cover on her phone.

17. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Says something more about the age and mentality of MacRumors forum users....

18. Tosser macrumors 68030

I'd like to see you make that claim into a valid argument.

19. bluelondon macrumors regular