Would you trade a MacBook Pro for a Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by smallnshort247, Jan 23, 2011.

1. smallnshort247 macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

Hey all,

I have a sickness. I basically have a habit of "leasing" Macs. My first Mac was a 2008 Unibody MacBook that I ended up selling around a year later to upgrade to the 2010 15 inch MacBook Pro. I've upgraded the HDD and RAM 640GB HDD and 8GB RAM but I'm still wanting more. My MBP does everything I need but I've always wanted the Mac Pro. To me, the Mac Pro is like the "one" to own. Considering there are many rumors of 2011 MacBook Pros coming out soon, if I were to sell my MBP and get a decent amount for it, now is the time.

Someone in another thread posted a link to this Mac Pro:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/608729-REG/Apple_MB871LL_A_Mac_Pro_Desktop_Computer.html

That Mac Pro isn't the latest but it seems like the specs are good. All I really wanted was a Quad Core Mac Pro. I also wouldn't mind upgrading other parts of it myself. My question to you is.. do you think this is a decent decision? Is that Mac Pro worth me selling my MBP for it?

It just seems like that is a great price for a 2009 Mac Pro, and I believe they're selling it new, right?

2. smallnshort247 thread starter macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

Also, not having a laptop would be hard for me to give over, but I'd probably save up for either another MBP down the line or just get a 11inch Air in a few years to be my "portable".

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I don't see the point of doing that if MBP is enough for your needs. It's time for you to take over your want and start thinking clearly. You said you really want portability so why would you trade your MBP to Mac Pro when you don't need the things Mac Pro offers but you do need the things MBP offers?

Just keep what you have

4. Danekero macrumors member

What do you plan on using it for? If your MBP can do everything you need or want to do, there's no point in replacing it with a mac pro, especially if you need portability.

5. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

Dude the mac pro is just jo people who want to upgrade their pc every once in a while

6. Danekero macrumors member

AND for power users - people who need the specs the mac pro provides.

7. MacTower macrumors member

Given your "sickness," as you put it, your should probably ask yourself if you will feel that the Mac Pro you're looking at will keep you happy for more than a year. It will no doubt be faster than the MBP, and way more upgradeable. In my experience, the Mac Pro is a machine you spend the money on to get the specs you want, even if you have to stretch your budget a little, and keep it for a while.

That said, my main reason for posting is to vouch for B&H, the shop you're looking at. I recently purchased a new 2009 Mac Pro, 8-core from them for a gret deal. You can't beat a brand new, massively discounted 2009 model, with full 1 year warranty from the day you buy it from them. They shipped it fast and securely, for free, and threw in a copy of parallels 6.

Good luck with your decision!

8. smallnshort247 thread starter macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

I agree! To me, the deal seems so good for a brand new Mac Pro...even if it is a few years out of date.

Before switching to the Mac in 2008, I had a older Dell tower. One of my favorite things about the tower is being able to upgrade a lot of things whenever you want. That's a really big reason why I like the Mac Pro. You simply can't do major hardware upgrades with any other Mac as of now.

Would you guys rather have a 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz 640GB 7200rpm hdd and 8GB of RAM or a 2009 Mac Pro Quad Core?

9. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Honestly, I do not think I would. It depends a lot on the usage of the user (you). Do you do a lot of video editing, photo work, etc?

But honestly, I like having a lot of power in my lap (that's what she said), rather than having to go to my desk to get that power.

10. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Deal wise it comes down to what you use it for. If you are mobile and work 2 different places, it would make the MBP a better deal as you only need 1. If you need to do certain tasks that the Mac Pro will do much faster and are on a time crunch, it may be a better deal.

11. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I've been contemplating the same thing. But for me it's whether to move up to a 15" mbp or get an older mac pro (or a quad iMac). My issue is I need/want mobility, so either way I'm going to want a laptop. So for me it makes more sense to out my money into one computer (a better mbp) then to have two.

If no longer having mobility will impede you in any way from working the way you like to work don't do it. If you work at your desk 100% of the time, go with the desktop. It's pretty simple. But if you work at all way from your desk and enjoy doing it, you're going to miss your MacBook Pro.

12. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

No...I would trade a Mac pro for a maxed out MacBook Pro 17" w/ antiglare, 512 SSD, 8 or 16GB of ram (or as much as possible), and a cinema display though.:D

13. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

no I would not ... I like the mobility too much :cool:

14. polobreaka macrumors 6502a

same here. i personally wouldnt trade my mbp for a desktop.

my mbp does everything and more for me than a desktop can. the trade off for me is not worth it. you cant beat the convenience of a laptop.

15. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

A MacPro of 2009 is not the newest piece of tech but still it is less outdated than you MBP will probably be in a few months. The Desktop Tech has less significant increases in speed.
    I personal would rather put a hackintosh together if I really needed speed than buy a MacPro but that is you choice. I think MBP offer a lot of value for their money (Display, battery, Touchpad ..). MacPros are imo reasonable for professional work in a company but as private person it is not worth the money IMO. It doesn't matter if money is no issue but than you wouldn't ask and simply buy both a MacPro and a MBP.
    For a forth of the money you can put together a faster hackintosh. A 2500k Sandy Bridge with a good cooler overclocks to 4,5Ghz easily that put some old dual socket 8 core MacPro to shame. Well of course I'd know how to build a whole system. Without the knowhow you are only left with cheap desktops or dell workstations that do not really cost any less.