Would you trade year-old MBP for new MB?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EdmondDantes, Nov 24, 2008.

1. EdmondDantes macrumors newbie

I have the opportunity to make the following trade, and I can't make up my mind.

Trading: MacBook Pro (July 2007) 2.2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, 15.4" (plus 2 years Apple Care)

For: New MacBook Aluminum 2.4GHz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HDD

Factors:
    • My main work machine is an iMac, and I only use the laptop for drifting around the house (a need which is more often taken up by my iPhone these days) as well as when I travel, roughly 30 days a year
    • Travelling would obviously be easier with a smaller, lighter MacBook
    • I don't really need the MBP's "Pro" features like FireWire on my laptop since I principally use the desktop
    • I think I still prefer the MBP's matte screen, but I am coming around the idea of glossy, so I don't think it's a deciding factor

If it sounds like I am tending towards making the trade, I probably am, but am I crazy to do so?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

2. belvdr macrumors 603

No, don't buy it. Yes, you're nuts. ;) If you're using the iPhone more and more, why waste money on a laptop?

3. EdmondDantes thread starter macrumors newbie

Clarification

Just to clarify, this would effectively be a trade (ie no cost) and while I can use the iPhone for a lot of things, I do still need a laptop for travelling. The question is simply, which of the two laptops should I choose?

4. Trivial rock macrumors regular

Trivial rock

I think you missed the part where he said trade, ie no money involved so it would hardly be a waste of money.

To the OP its really your call, the viewing angles on the new MB's is suprisingly small and the screen needs to be tilted 'just right'. Apart from that they are really nice looking machines and I know what you mean about the size and weight there is a difference (not huge though)between the MB and the Pro. If performance isn't an issue then maybe go into your local apple store and have a look at the machine. If you like it go for it. You can always pick up the apple care before the 1 year runs out.

Keep us posted on your choice.

5. belvdr macrumors 603

I think that's a personal preference at this point. Based on what I'm hearing you say, I don't think you'll see vast productivity improvements by doing so. I'd recommend hitting a brick-and-mortar store and trying one out before you buy. It may turn out you can't stand the new models.

6. belvdr macrumors 603

No I didn't. Trade does not always mean no money is involved. For example, trading in a 1987 Nissan on a new Mercedes.

Since the OP came back and said it was an even trade, I modified my response.

7. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

The biggest differences that I see are the screen and the discrete graphics card in the MBP. Aside from being matte, the viewing angles/brightness/color will be much better on your older pro. Plus, graphics will be much better, especially if you ever play a game. That aside, it might not be bad trade if you now want portability, bigger HD, a (barely) faster processor, etc. But, best to try it out in the store... the keyboard and screen might be deal breakers for you. Also, might want to check craigslist and see what your MBP is worth... you might (MIGHT) be able to sell it and buy a macbook and have cash left over. I would also be cautious of someone trading a new macbook so soon. Best to make sure it has applecare and that you trust the person.

8. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

I'd keep the MBP to be honest.
    Might be bigger but....nicer screen, better quality screen, decent graphics card and if I'm honest a nicer keyboard.

9. notatrumpetpro macrumors member

I'd def. keep the MBP. The weight difference is very nominal and the MBP screen is so much better along with having a much better GPU.

10. MoeOz macrumors member

Im almost in the same shoe but with another intentions;), i have the same MBP and i just had the logic board replaced regarding the Nvidia cards problem it was for free as i catch'd the last day of warranty, anyway to get to the bottom of this i have the same offer MBP 2.2 with the new MB 2.4, actually i love my machine but now i have no guarantee that it wont have another GPU failure soon, and this time with no warranty what so ever (no apple care) so its like a ticking bomb, its like i have no other option and this will a trade with one of official apple reseller shop .. what do u guys think ?

11. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I'd definitely keep the MBP. The MB is nice but you'd be trading down quite a bit.

12. Gordy macrumors 6502a

I've just replaced my mbp which is less than a year old with a new 2.4ghz macbook. I've not regretted the decision for a second. The new macbook is just as fast and has some great design features.

I mainly use it with a 20in acd and travelling around to clients so screen size is not an issue for me. Weight and size is though.

13. kousuke18 macrumors regular

Do the trade if you absolutely need the new unibody design and extra portability. Otherwise, keep it because your current mbp has many advantages over the mb such as better and bigger screen, higher resolution, much better graphics card, firewire, dvi out, matte display (although this may not be a advantage for you) and of course for the sake of having a "pro" machine :cool:

14. nospleen macrumors 68020

nospleen

Do it! The mb is worth more than your mbp. (excluding apple care). If you don't like it, sell it and buy a refurb mbp, and pocket a lil bit of money. I don't see the risk.

15. Ropie macrumors regular

Ropie

I have a MBP but wouldn't trade it for a new MB, not even with the unibody design and extra MHz. The MBP screen is too good and it has so many small advantages over the MB.

16. tozfeekum macrumors member

dont do it!

I did the exact same thing, and lemme tell you the screen on the MB is awful compared to the MBP. Returned it and had to pay the restocking fee...

17. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

its a subjective thing

It depends on what's important to you. I ditto what was said about the laying on of hands and of eyeballs. Bring your old MBP to the best buy or applestore, lay it next to the new MB, and compare the two screen and otherwise. My advice is to also bring over a DVD of film noir or any Tim Burton movie to check out the darks and contrast levels of the screens. The uni MB probably has the best screen ever for an entry level, but it still does not compare to its big brother.

Look them over and make your own decision on what is important to you. If the screen is acceptable for your uses, and you place a premium on portability, then get the macbook. Otherwise, keep your pro and use the crap out of it.

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Just traded my Penryn for the NVIDIA MBP. Good deal.