Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bugeyeblue

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
I listed my Verizon iPhone 5 16gb (new refurb from apple) plus a new nexus 7 to trade for a galaxy note 3 on Craigslist. Got an offer, but not sure if I'm going to go through with it. Would it be worth it to you?

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
100x yes. Moved from a 4s, looked at the 5s, but once I saw a few things the N3 could do over the iPhone I took the plunge and found a ton of benefits to the phone and OS.

Its a bit larger than I would like, but then that's also one of the things I like most about it. I really haven't used my iPad since I've gotten it.

Bugeyeblue

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
Still hesitating, thanks for the responses. He says he'll take the iPhone 5 plus $100 in lieu of the nexus 7.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
i5 and 100 would be a good deal, no way would I trade the phone and n7

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
Id trade a iphone 5 for a gs3 lol

To be real hell yes, I'd trade a i5 and 100 for a note 3.

I just got a s4 and man this thing is pretty sweet the only thing I miss on ios is the universal search.

but everything seems better on android, on the s4 smart stay or whatever it's called tells me to go on wifi to conserve battery and on the public wifi and logs me in automatically as open to having to sign in each time on ios.

I see why ios is popular but it's bare bones compared to android/tw

I see why apple makes sky high profits too, barebones os with a huge following of loyal fans.

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013
The phone and $100 bucks is a good deal. Phone and N7, you'd be getting the short end of the trade when you consider long term resale value.

Going used net prices:

iPhone 5 $375
Note 3 $590
Nexus 7HD $160

Misskitty

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
iphones are garbage, besides im so sick of everyone owning one. I like to be different and not just a sheep so i went android and so glad I did. Would never ever get an iphone again. Cant believe i didnt ditch the iphone a lot sooner.

----------

I see why ios is popular but it's bare bones compared to android/tw

ios is popular cause everyones family member, including their dog and godfather and even the neighbourhood priest has one. So that must mean its the best right? "Everyone i know has one, so i must get one!" Oh please.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
I just got a s4 and man this thing is pretty sweet the only thing I miss on ios is the universal search.

Not sure on the S4 but on the N3 if you press and hold the menu key on the left side of the home button, Universal Search pops up.

kuroe

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2013
I would do the trade, but do make sure that the Note 3's warranty is in tact. Check the Knox flag and make sure it hasn't been triggered.

The Knox flag is triggered whenever you attempt root, flash firmwares, etc. If it has been tripped, you lose warranty support in the US. Or, at least, it becomes more difficult to make warranty claims.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Absolutely, even if you dont root it and get rid of all of Samsungs garbage the phone is excellent as is.

The biggest downside to changing from iOS to android is since iOS is tightly controlled by its creator its going to be more idiot proof. Android on the other hand has a lot of freedom that entails risks if you arent careful. As owner of both I find google play to have plenty of apps (so far all my iOS apps have android equivs) its just not very well organized like the app store from Apple.

Knox is another issue, Samsung has gone antiroot with the S4 and Note 3. If you root a flag is triggered in the phone and your warranty is void (understandably) . Rooting is a big financial risk with the Note 3 since its 700 @ retail. I havent looked at the options available as far as reversing the flag recently so maybe there are tricks around it now.

The battery life is excellent, the phone is light and stands out because of its unqiue back and large screen and unless you are wearing girl (skinny) jeans this phone fits in front pockets with no problem.

Be warned though the Note may take over your tablet, Ive found myself using it over my iPad 3 and Tab II quite often.

The stylus is crap though, its very flimsy and cheap in the hand. For a device that costs as much as the Note 3 I would have expected at least aluminum.

Henfold

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2010
Am in the process of selling my iPhone 5 on Ebay and buying a Galaxy Note 3.

I hardly make any calls so using such a large device as a phone doesn't bother me.

With my work I often watch films at my desk and this device will be much better for this purpose and will allow me to ditch my 7" tablet device.

If a larger iPhone does come out with a 5"+ screen in a years time I will switch back.

Just need to find a slim case with integrated kick stand.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
iphones are garbage, besides im so sick of everyone owning one. I like to be different and not just a sheep so i went android and so glad I did. Would never ever get an iphone again. Cant believe i didnt ditch the iphone a lot sooner.

----------

ios is popular cause everyones family member, including their dog and godfather and even the neighbourhood priest has one. So that must mean its the best right? "Everyone i know has one, so i must get one!" Oh please.

That's some terrific logic, especially considering how flawed it is. What phone OS has the greatest market share? :rolleyes:

Here's another challenge for you--see if you can write a post without the word 'sheep' in it.

For the OP, I'm personally not a fan of the Note series (previously owned a Note II) but my reasons are solely based on my preference (too large for my taste and I dislike Touchwiz)--it's a helluva phone. That being said, that's a good deal in your favor and even if you decide you don't like it, as someone else mentioned, you should be able to sell it without taking a loss and get another phone.

Last edited:

ab2c4

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2013
My wife has an iPhone 5 and I have a Note 2. The iPhone 5 is a super device but the tiny screen ruins it for me. I would definitely take a Note 3 over the iPhone 5 for the screen size alone.

Bugeyeblue

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
My wife has an iPhone 5 and I have a Note 2. The iPhone 5 is a super device but the tiny screen ruins it for me. I would definitely take a Note 3 over the iPhone 5 for the screen size alone.

Would you take a note 2 over an iPhone 5?

ab2c4

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2013
Would you take a note 2 over an iPhone 5?

Yes. My Note 2 runs flawlessly and the larger screen for me makes it so much more usable for me.

About two weeks ago I had set my Note 2 down on someone's desk that had an iPhone 5s. I turned to talk to someone else and when I turned back he had set his iPhone next to my Note 2. The guy just looked at me and then the two phones side by side, shaking his head and simply said "it's not even fair".

My wife is a die hard iPhone junkie and every time she uses my Note 2 she comments on how amazing it is compared to her iPhone 5.

Bugeyeblue

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
Yes. My Note 2 runs flawlessly and the larger screen for me makes it so much more usable for me.

About two weeks ago I had set my Note 2 down on someone's desk that had an iPhone 5s. I turned to talk to someone else and when I turned back he had set his iPhone next to my Note 2. The guy just looked at me and then the two phones side by side, shaking his head and simply said "it's not even fair".

My wife is a die hard iPhone junkie and every time she uses my Note 2 she comments on how amazing it is compared to her iPhone 5.

What's the current os version for the note 2? What carrier are you on?

ab2c4

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2013
What's the current os version for the note 2? What carrier are you on?

I am on Verizon and it is running 4.1.2 although it is supposedly getting 4.3 any day now. I think the other providers have already updated to 4.3 for the Note 2 but as always Verizon is a little slower.

Edit: I just checked my phone for the update and it is available. I assume it is 4.3 since it 724mb. Downloading it now.

Bugeyeblue

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
I am on Verizon and it is running 4.1.2 although it is supposedly getting 4.3 any day now. I think the other providers have already updated to 4.3 for the Note 2 but as always Verizon is a little slower.

Edit: I just checked my phone for the update and it is available. I assume it is 4.3 since it 724mb. Downloading it now.

Let me know how it feels. Smoothness is what I'm always afraid i'll lose with android updates to older phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.