Would you trade your Mac for another one for free?

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
4,400
3
Curious how many people have their "dream" or favorite computer out there.

If you could, tomorrow, trade the Mac you currently have for 1 (one) of Apple's current computers, would you do it?

No, you can't trade it for a loaded 17" pb, sell the PB and buy something else. I'm talking about trading it for something you would keep and use. Let's also ignore RAM, HD, and Graphics. Duh, who wouldn't trade their computer for an exact one with more memory/hd/etc.

So, would you?

I think about it for a long time. I have the iBook 12" 1.33 (in my signature) and I really really like it. I decided that I would NOT trade it for any of Apple's current line up, not even a 12" PB (for the common reasons).

The only way I could see myself doing that is if Apple added the Superdrive option to the 12" iBook, but it would have to be a 16x dual layer, or else I wouldn't want it.
 

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
5,693
1
LaLaLand, CA
What if there were no hypothetical questions?

I would trade my old Performa 6400 for a new G5 in a heart beat. Same with my now dead Beige G3. If I had gotten a refurb G5, and a new one came out next week with dual cores, yeah I would trade. But it depends. Sometimes the new one isn't as good as the old one if you look at similar specs, but if you're looking at the same price range, newer is usually better.

Just out of curiosity, why do ask?
 

ahunter3

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2003
375
4
ITASOR said:
If you could, tomorrow, trade the Mac you currently have for 1 (one) of Apple's current computers, would you do it?
Nope. If any of the current crop were right for me, I would've upgraded by now. My 6-going-on-7 year old (significantly upgraded*) WallStreet still rocks though.

No way I'm trading it for a new PB that only has ~3x the processor oomph, ~3x the RAM capacity, significantly less speedy and roomy and reliable hard-disk configuration, and won't boot OS 9 (or OS 8) natively. Not even for the gigabit ethernet.

I'm hoping for a dual-core G4 to replace it with, but having waited this long I can wait a little longer. Nothing really wrong with the old rig!


* 500 MHz Sonnet G4, 512 MB RAM, dual hard disks both 7200 RPM Hitachi 60 giggers. Boots MacOS 8.1, 8.6, 9.0.4, 9.2.2, 10.2.8, and 10.3.8 from various dedicated partitions. SCSI, classic mac serial, ADB, 16-bit sound, S-Video out, VGA out, and infrared = native ports. USB, FireWire, extended video over DVI, airport = add-ons via CardBus (2 card capacity). Choice of 24x CDRW or DVD-ROM or Floppy or ZIP or SuperDisk drives, or battery, in remaining expansion bay module (CDRW by default). Machine is old enough to boot MacOS 8.0 (and from a floppy disk, no less!) yet can run the latest versio of Tiger (not currently using 10.4).
 

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
2,586
157
Washington, DC
ITASOR said:
Curious how many people have their "dream" or favorite computer out there.

If you could, tomorrow, trade the Mac you currently have for 1 (one) of Apple's current computers, would you do it?
Lukewarm. If they had a G5 in the iMac G4 form-factor, I wouldn't hesitate though to trade up.
 

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
8,021
1
Well I have a current model (12" PowerBook) and love it. I only have the ComboDrive one though, so i might be tempted to trade it for the SuperDrive, but not really that bothered. I certainly wouldn't swap it for any other mac.
 

JupiterTwo

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2003
276
3
GB
I only bought my iMac in July, so I'm still loving it :) - I thought about a PowerMac then but I know I made the right choice, so no, nothing to make me trade that in.

My iBook - maybe, but I've had a it a good while, and now that I've taken it apart a few times I think I'm quite attached to it :eek: :) :)
 

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
2,756
0
Melbourne, Australia
I have the current 15" PowerBook and no I wouldn't trade it for a 17". I also have a Power Mac G5 of course I'd exchange that for the current top of the range model. My GF has a Rev A iMac G5 of course we would swap that for a Rev B.

BTW What is the point of this thread, seems kind of pointless?
 

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
2,626
0
If anything, I'd probably consider an upgrade from a 15 to a 17" Powerbook. Not using it as much for travel as I was so the portability issue isn't as important and they don't seem to have as many problems as the 15s. Not much need for anything more at home. A PM or G5 iMac would be nice but probably overkill and they don't sit too well on your lap!
 

alexstein

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2004
736
1
it would depend. if it would be a straight up trade yes i would trade my 14" ibook G4 1.2 in a heart beat for a new 15" inch pb (who wouldn't). but if i had to pay the difference no way.

i'm waiting until next year to take the plunge on a new mactel pb. i have to start a pb fund so i will be ready by the time the second generation comes around. can't wait.
 

alexstein

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2004
736
1
AlBDamned said:
In a way, it's a subtle way of demonstrating Apple's pretty stagnant current line up. Most of the current range doesn't differ a great deal compared to the ones they were selling a year or more ago. Most of the upgrades have been pretty dull.

There hasn't been a Nano-type launch event in the Macintosh line-up for too long.

you hit the nail on the head with your post i couldn't agree more!!
 

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
2,626
0
risc said:
BTW What is the point of this thread, seems kind of pointless?
In a way, it's a subtle way of demonstrating Apple's pretty stagnant current line up. Most of the current range doesn't differ a great deal compared to the ones they were selling a year or more ago. Most of the upgrades have been pretty dull.

There hasn't been a Nano-type launch event in the Macintosh line-up for too long.
 

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
4,400
3
risc said:
BTW What is the point of this thread, seems kind of pointless?
Sorry. There isn't a point, really. Just curious to see how much people like their computer over another.

For example, I wanted to see how many would choose an iBook over a PB, etc. It interests me.
 

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
15,532
2
ITASOR said:
For example, I wanted to see how many would choose an iBook over a PB, etc. It interests me.
If I was a bigger/stronger person, than I might, just might choose a 15" PB over my 12" iBook... but I don't wish to go back to a 12"PB. :D
 

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
2,217
0
Virginia Beach, VA
AlBDamned said:
In a way, it's a subtle way of demonstrating Apple's pretty stagnant current line up. Most of the current range doesn't differ a great deal compared to the ones they were selling a year or more ago. Most of the upgrades have been pretty dull.

There hasn't been a Nano-type launch event in the Macintosh line-up for too long.
I agree. I've got a 2-year old 17" PB, and the brand new ones are not much different than this one was when I bought it. Especially considering I've now upgraded to a 5400 RPM drive. I mean, the jump from 1.33 to 1.67 would be nice, but its not a big difference. In fact, my PB gets better benchmark scores than some 1.67 PBs on xBench's website. I guess I'd get BT 2.0 and and better video card, but considering this machine is 2 years, old, thats not much difference.

I think I bought this one at probably the best possible time to buy one.
 

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
4,014
313
.. London ..
Hmm.

My PB 15'' 1.5 GHZ *is* kinda my dream computer :)

I'd like a 12'' PB for even easier portablity, but I would still want to keep my 15'', it't the perfect balance between luggablity and screen size.

A dual G5 loaded Powermac would also be nice for film work, but my PB does my actual film work pretty well. And I'd still want to keep my PB....

So yes, I would swap my PB only for *both* a loaded 12'' PB and a loaded Powermac.

If I had to swap it for a single computer ... nah!!!!

xoxo

RedTomato
 

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
2,557
13
a profane existence
Right now, probably not. If I were to trade my PB for another PB, I would want the 15" but since I cannot upgrade the HD/Graphics then no thank you on the trade. If I were to want a non-portable PM then more than likely yes.