Would you trust this external hard drive?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JasonDawg18, Oct 23, 2007.

1. JasonDawg18 macrumors regular

JasonDawg18

http://www.egoodz.com/product.asp?pf_id=3506UEPBLKWD500KB

It seems like a good deal, considering is has Firewire 400 and USB 2.0.

What do you think? Is it trustworthy?

If not, I'm looking for good, inexpensive suggestions for something in the 500GB range, with Firewire and USB 2.0.

Thanks!

Jason

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

As a personal preference, I always like to get the hard drive enclosures separate from the hard drive itself as opposed to a "external drive" (e.g. an enclosure that's designed to let you swap things in/out). That way, I can pop in whatever size drive I want/need/afford, and when it gets full or fails, I can just pop in a new one.

What you linked to looks like exactly what I just described: an empty Firewire/USB enclosure plus a WD hard drive that they stick in for you before shipping it. You should be able to easily pop it open and replace the drive afterward if you need to, or even buy a different enclosure and move the drive to it, if needed.

So, I think the risk is pretty low and if you like the features, style, and price, I say go for it.

Edit: after reading the reviews linked from the previous poster: seems like a lot of people are having issues. (See, the nice thing is, if you'd bought it and the enclosure had died, you could still salvage the drive, buy another $30 enclosure, and try again).

Try to find an enclosure with a built-in fan, as that will help prolong the life of the drive kept within.

4. Eric Piercey macrumors 6502

Eric Piercey

Umm.. in 86 reviews 61 were 5 eggs. You had it sorted by lowest. At least that came up on my screen. 3 were 1 egg. Clearly it's a decent enclosure.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I start low and work up. *shrug*