Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you upgrade a fully functional XS Max this year?

• Definitely - three years deserves an upgrade

Votes: 25 42.4%
  • Maybe - depends on the 2021 model

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • Nope - an working iPhone is worth holding onto

Votes: 10 16.9%
  • Deez Nuts

Votes: 4 6.8%

• Total voters

iScone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
So I have an XS Max from 2018 that is miraculously undamaged. It’s working just fine, and I have no complaints. I’d love battery life, camera etc. to be better, but nothing I’ve seen since purchasing at launch inspired me to part with $$$$.

Now, it’s coming up to three years later. This is the longest I’ve owned any iPhone. It’s still working great but I’m reaching the point I’m getting tempted. So out of interest, I’m testing the water here…

If you had an XS Max working as well as it ever has, would 2021 tempt you based on current rumors? Or would you hold out for a fourth year?

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
I think it depends on your needs and budget. If you’re looking for specifics features it’s sure worth it. But iPhone upgrades today are way more incremental than before, and Xs Max is still a very powerful and capable phone.

last fall I went from iPhone X to 12 Pro Max. I have no regrets, but I noticed how little the user experience have evolved. Yes I have a bigger screen, better battery, better cameras, UWB, 5G, etc. But at the end of the day, it didn’t change that much how I used my X. I could have waited one more year if it was not the battery life improvement, so for me it was worth it. Look at every feature and ask honestly yourself if these features are worth it. Maybe it is, and that’s very fine, but maybe it’s not

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I think it depends on your needs and budget. If you’re looking for specifics features it’s sure worth it. But iPhone upgrades today are way more incremental than before, and Xs Max is still a very powerful and capable phone.

last fall I went from iPhone X to 12 Pro Max. I have no regrets, but I noticed how little the user experience have evolved. Yes I have a bigger screen, better battery, better cameras, UWB, 5G, etc. But at the end of the day, it didn’t change that much how I used my X. I could have waited one more year if it was not the battery life improvement, so for me it was worth it. Look at every feature and ask honestly yourself if these features are worth it. Maybe it is, and that’s very fine, but maybe it’s not
I think this is correct. Nothing you do fundamentally changes so it’s really up to you if you want to take the plunge. Having a not great battery is something I’d desire if it’s a big phone. I have the mini with ok battery life but I’m ok with that given it’s size. The jump from xs max to 12 pro wasn’t a big difference aside from the 12 max feeling too heavy and big in my pocket.

Reactions: fwmireault

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
So I have an XS Max from 2018 that is miraculously undamaged. It’s working just fine, and I have no complaints. I’d love battery life, camera etc. to be better, but nothing I’ve seen since purchasing at launch inspired me to part with $$$$.

Now, it’s coming up to three years later. This is the longest I’ve owned any iPhone. It’s still working great but I’m reaching the point I’m getting tempted. So out of interest, I’m testing the water here…

If you had an XS Max working as well as it ever has, would 2021 tempt you based on current rumors? Or would you hold out for a fourth year?
If you are happy with your current phone, keep using it. If you watch the new phone presentation and think the price to feature ratio is worth a new purchase, get the new phone and keep your XS as backup.

Saladin12

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2021

This. 100 times this. I've got the XS myself and almost upgraded to the 12 Pro Max but there wasn't anything specific that I was itching for in the 11 or 12 range. However if the 13 Pros do end up having a ProMotion display then that + all the other upgrades I've missed should make for a satisfying experience!

Reactions: fwmireault

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
It’s all up to wether the 2021 iPhones have the features that you want, and also if the price range is within your budget. Just wait until the keynote this fall to make a final decision. If you keep your XS Max for another year, your device will still be fast enough for iOS 15. I upgraded my XS Max to the 12 Pro Max last year and I am still satisfied with my device and will keep it for another year. I kept my XS Max as a backup phone.

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
May 27, 2014
Personally, I’d wait. 5G has not really taken off stateside. Give it another cycle and I think your upgrade willbe significant enough to change how you fundamentally use the product and therefore less questioning if you made the right decision.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa

If my Xs Max was not stolen I would still be rocking it now, solid phone. If you really want to upgrade then yeah I say do it, 3 years definitely deserves an upgrade but if you are happy to keep going with it then keep going, let’s see what the iPhone 13 brings. If Apple put a bigger battery than 11 Pro Max in the 13 Pro Max then I will probably upgrade from my 11 Pro Max to the 13 Pro Max late this year or early next year to.

ecatomb

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2021
France
I have the XS, thinking about changing it this year too. But when the iPhone 13 will be available, no idea of what I will buy... iPhone 12 Pro could be really close to iPhone 13 Pro and way cheaper. Or maybe an iPhone SE 2 if Apple make one this year

Reactions: Tsepz

uhongia

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2008
I have a XS Max that I've had since launch day. Works great, no complaints, still in great condition for everyday use. I feel the same way as the OP too though...awfully tempted to upgrade to the 13 or 12 (Pro or Pro Max) depending on price points. Rational me says to keep waiting as the features in a 13 (or a 12) aren't going to be a huge, significant change from what I have now. Irrational me wants to upgrade just because.

As I write all this though...I'll probably wait until the 14. What's one more year, right?

Ethrem

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2009
XS Max battery life is terrible compared to the 12 Pro Max. Rumors put the 13 series with even bigger batteries. I would say it’s definitely not a bad year to upgrade but just beware that the Qualcomm X65 modem that will be used in the 14 series phones is the first 5G modem with upgradable firmware which means it’s going to be the first one that isn’t quickly EOL as the technology evolves.

Reactions: iScone and LFC2020

Ethrem

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2009
First thing I noticed when I upgraded from my xs max to 12 pro max, battery life difference between the 2 was huge.

Yeah I had to charge my XS Max 2-3 times a day because I averaged 3 1/2 hours. My 12 Pro Max was getting 11-12 doing the same things (with no 5G because my current provider doesn’t have access to it) until I went to iOS 15 dev betas and my screen time fell through the floor (along with my battery health) but it’s still doing better than my XS Max was, about 6-8 hours of screen time between charges.

Reactions: LFC2020

KMoore4318

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2021
Same Boat you are in, I really wanted to Upgrade, Both Watch and Phone.....
But I wanted the Vapor Chamber Cooling, and Glucose monitoring, (Neither made it to this years modles) Given what I have seen, I will wait on the 14 Pro max, But I am hoping it keeps the Lightning Port, or it will NOT work with my Car Play. I really wanted to upgrade too, Already bought the AX wifi router, and paid Cricket for the 5G upgrade. My Xs is like new, In fact Apple Replaced it under warranty (Apple Care), 3 days before it ran out. The 14 is rumored to be quite a Jump.

Reactions: BluefinTuna
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.