Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arcontia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2017
The standard Xs, not the Max.

Like, I love my Xs but the only thing that I don’t like about it is the battery life because it is actually pretty crappy and that extra 4 hours sounds very enticing (when the Xs was newly announced it could only boast an extra half hour, that’s it, over the X), as does Night Mode... but my gut tells me the right thing to do is hold off until 2020’s new iPhone. Because besides the bad battery life (where I can just purchase a new battery anyway), the Xs is still an amazing phone in its own right.

What about you guys with an Xs? How do you feel about your phone and do you plan to upgrade?

Reactions: eyeseeyou

yoheywut

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2015
The upgrade is a no brainer for me for a few reasons:
- I'm on the iPhone upgrade program, so its easy to trade in a phone and hop to a new one. No reselling required.
- Like you, my XS battery isn't great, and four additional hours will be fantastic
- Smart HDR doesn't work well on the XS, and I'll very much appreciate Night Mode and another lens. I have a wide angle for my DSLR and it gets very interesting shots, perspective wise
- Most importantly, the modem in my XS is crap. Poor service, slow switching between LTE and "4G", people saying they can't hear me. I know the 11 still has intel modems but if they're updated at all, I'll take it.

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
My xS battery health is 97% but my days must be getting longer because the phone just punks out.
Looking forward to the IUP upgrade and an additional 4hr battery life.

Reactions: Wide opeN

supergt

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2019
Nope. The battery on my XS is fine and gets me through the day. Although the camera improvements are nice, it’s not enough to justify an upgrade when performance is still top of the line. Holding out for 2020 or 21 where I hope to see promotion display, reduced or better yet no notch, and secondary biometric option of Touch ID throughout display. Now that’s a worthwhile upgrade!

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
Having spent a good part of the past year traveling and not always having a pocket camera, the justification of ever better camera is enough to push me to upgrade. There are moments in life when having a good camera with you is invaluable and my XS was worth it over the X for each of the ~6,000-7,000 images I shot last year.

I expect that the 11 Pro will be similarly satisfying. And I also have iUp...

RhysoTDI

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2017
Not worth the upgrade IMO. I'm not into my photography and I find the XS camera suits my need perfectly (point and shoot / selfies etc) and the battery life is fine

I updated my XS last night to iOS 13 and it absolutely flies. Face ID is much quicker and the overall operation of apps is smoother and quicker too :)

wi1dstar

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
The standard Xs, not the Max.

Like, I love my Xs but the only thing that I don’t like about it is the battery life because it is actually pretty crappy and that extra 4 hours sounds very enticing (when the Xs was newly announced it could only boast an extra half hour, that’s it, over the X), as does Night Mode... but my gut tells me the right thing to do is hold off until 2020’s new iPhone. Because besides the bad battery life (where I can just purchase a new battery anyway), the Xs is still an amazing phone in its own right.

What about you guys with an Xs? How do you feel about your phone and do you plan to upgrade?
I haven’t actually been too happy with my XS other than liking the design. I don’t get good battery life, have encountered a ton of bugs/glitches, and I feel as though the data/lte speeds are worse than the X (on WiFi or cellular). I also feel like my XS takes forever to connect to WiFi networks even when manually choosing them. Hoping that Apple cleans up these things. If you have been having problems and decide to upgrade, I would suggest doing a clean install vs restoring from a backup.

Magnusson

macrumors member
May 22, 2016
Not going to upgrade a phone that just 1 year old. Been there, done that. Apple does a great job at updating their phones for a long time. I think its time to enjoy that and save the money for something else.

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
Yeah, I've gone back and forth back and forth after saying I absolutely would not be upgrading.

I was thinking about it, but now I think I'm back in the mindset of waiting again. If there were Qualcomm and 6GB, I would've definitely been in.

I do love the overall aesthetic, but it boils down to paying $737.49 for one additional camera. I'm not with that, lol!!!

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
Nope not enough difference. Stick it out a year, next your is your year to upgrade if you have a notch phone already.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Keep your XS, focus on not looking at the back, update to iOS 13 and enable dark mode then pretend you have the Pro. Bam. Free upgrade.

In all seriousness, unless you’re really into photography it makes no sense to upgrade if you have last years model. In day to day usage you’re not going to notice a difference in processor speeds and unless you’re a heavy user and have no access to a charger throughout the day the XS battery should be sufficient.

If, however, you’re on the IUP it makes sense to upgrade unless you plan to pay off your XS and keep it for another year or two.

It should go without saying but I know this place all too well so this is all opinion and is based on my personal usage. YMMV

Reactions: Arcontia and crouch
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.