Would you upgrade to Snow Leopard again?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by majordude, Sep 6, 2009.

1. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

I have the latest and greatest 10.5.whatever and while I bought and own the new 10.6 DVD I have yet to upgrade. The primary reason is that I use PGP to encrypt my disks and it is not compatible with 10.6 so I'd have to unencrypt and uninstall PGP Full Disk Encryption. (And that takes DAYS!).

Plus, I use Adobe CS3 and I understand that has hiccups with Snow Leopard as well.

If you upgraded, would you do it again? To be honest, I bought the upgrade because it was cheap and I like to have the latest and greatest but while this is the latest I'm not sure this is the greatest.

(I don't even know what the upgrade offers me!)

Your thoughts?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yup. It's not this new feature rich upgrade but it's nice. And PS CS3 works.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I would. There are a lot of little things that make it much better, but I didn't have anything that was incompatible, so ...

4. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Yes. All things considered this has been an easy OS X update.

5. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

You guys who are unhappy can post as many polls as you like, you are going to find in ALL of them that the overwhelming majority of SL users are happy and do not regret upgrading to the latest OS.

6. cw75 macrumors newbie

cw75

Negative Snow Leopard Experience

My experience on my 7 month old MacBook Pro and 2 year old Intel iMac was not good with this upgrade. It disable iTunes on both (lock ups every time) and some applications were noticeably slower as well as boot times were a bit longer. I used my back up drives to do a clean re-install back to 10.5 on both. A headache reinstalling some app's. and providing passwords again for others, but worth it to get back to 10.5 for now. Hopefully, Apple will get 10.6 cleaned up later as I do want to eventually move back to 10.6 in the future. Just not now after this fiasco.

7. bryantm3 macrumors regular

no. it was a waste of $10. there is hardly any difference on my computer.

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I pre-ordered it (there was a $10 pre-order discount here) and installed it on my secondary computer. Once I'm happy with it and have updates for all my apps, I'll revert the secondary computer back to 10.5 and move 10.6 onto my good machine.

So yes, I'll do it again, but not yet :)

9. Exegesis48 macrumors regular

I've been a staunch apple supporter (not a fanboy though), since i bought my first macbook pro in January 2006. But Snow Leopard has really disappointed me. Since installing it i've had several stability issues (mainly with Safari). And Warhammer Online constantly freezes and Force Quit doesn't even work, so i have to manually power off my computer to get it working again.

To top it all off, my main complaint, is that Coupons.com no longer works. It can't install the printer plugin and I have to resort to bootcamp just to be able to print out the coupons.

All this wouldn't be a big deal if it were windows. We've come to expect this kind of lackluster initial performance from Microsoft. But Apple brags CONSTANTLY about how they "Just Work". Honestly, this is just a slap in the face... If they want to get it right the first time, they really should consider opening up the beta to a much wider audience, as Microsoft as done with Windows 7.

10. messedkid macrumors 6502

messedkid

On the first day, I had a few bugs.

But since then my macbook has been working flawlessly. Very fast, very snappy.

Would do it all over again. :rolleyes:

11. Mugwumper macrumors regular

Hard to say . . .

I've had absolutely no problems with the SL upgrade, but I guess I was
    expecting to see a little performance bump. Maybe it is faster on shutdown
    or startup, but I've only done one of each since I installed, and I really didn't
    see much change.

I have had to upgrade maybe 10 apps, but nothing serious. TimeMachine
    does seem to be faster, and so far, none of the problems of trying to eject a
    disk when it was done only to have MacOS say the drive was "busy".

But to have the conflict between Office 2008 and Spaces resolved is
    probably worth the $25 . . . ;^)

So - what should I expect in 10.6.1? ;^)

12. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I guess I expected too much with Snow Leopard because I am totally disappointed. SL doesn't seem faster, in fact it's slower. 64-bit isn't all it's cracked up to be either. Seems Apple held back and most of us aren't fit for 64-bit kernel even if our CPU, EFI, and drivers are there. And those who do get 64-bit kernel capabilities have even slower performance.

I was expecting true 64-bit, and I don't care what people say to defend Apple, this is BS. In addition there have been so many app and hardware compatibility problems. And Apple cannot even write drivers for all of its Intel Macs. For all the supposed gains we get immediate losses too; OpenGL only half as capable as Leopard with updates coming (sure we all know about Apple's promises - usually broken)

I think maybe six to twelve months down the road, Snow Leopard will truly be ready. About that time there might be an app or two capitalizing on OpenCL and Grand Central.

I upgraded to SL day one, but if the .1 update doesn't improve most things and speed up the Mac I plan to downgrade and wait.

I am extremely disappointed with everything about Snow Leopard. It's not just Apple to blame as third party app vendors seemingly weren't testing or don't care about app compatibility with SL.

Disappointed in the short term. In the long run, I am sure it will all pan out.

I don't want to read any replies defending Apple on 32-bit kernel. If 32-bit runs better/faster, then SL isn't ready. This really disappoints me.

13. Medium Skil macrumors newbie

As long as the OS is streamlines to make it leaner, faster and more stable under the hood, then yeah.

What good is it to have over 9000 features or new gimmicks if they don't work right and just bloat the OS?

14. djellison macrumors 68020

My battery life has dropped
    Handbrake causes a black screen of death (yup - I know - I've never seen one either, but it happens)
    It took an afternoon to do a nice clean install and restore my stuff
    No noticeable improvement in performance in any way.

To be honest, I wish I hadn't bothered. To date, zero benefit.

15. gorjan macrumors 6502

I think I also expected too much. I see/feel no difference what so ever. I run SL with the 64bit kernel (I tried 32 bit too, and the speed's the same in my experience) but I have yet to experience any differences from Leopard. Maybe my MBP early 2008 was perfectly tuned with very few 3rd party apps. I won't say that I wasted 250 DKK (~50 USD), but I wouldn't do it again.

I also definitely don't see the speed upgrades all the reviewers were talking about.

16. Skweeky macrumors member

Sure, I'll upgrade again, but ONLY after they've fixed the problem that causes my iMacs fans to go into afterburner mode. :eek: :mad:

The noise from those babies was unbearable, hence my (reluctant) return to Leopard.

17. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I'm on the fence about it right now. I don't like the new Exposé and I've had quite a few times where my computer has slowed to a crawl with a lot of beach balls. Although in general it seems a bit faster, Quicktime X is pretty interesting and there are a few other nice touches. But the bugs do weigh it down, I've noticed a lot more bugs with Snow Leopard than when I first upgraded to Leopard at launch.

18. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I think I'd rather have waited until 10.6.1 or .2

Quite a few too many annoying glitches.

19. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

i already did, again.

my Mac mini :)

and yeah.. there are quite a few annoying glitches. but there are so many small nice things i see all the time that weren't in leopard.

for instance in iChat in direct IM there is a little circle loading bar. it's nice, but then again i like it when my computer wakes up from sleep.

20. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Interesting. My 2009 iMac makes zero noise under SL. I can't even hear the damn hard drive running.

21. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

$25 on Amazon (free ship and no tax) for a system optimized for Intel. It's more an update than a new system.

Faster boot and shutdown, seems more stable, faster program loading, freed up 8 Gigs Hard Drive space. I love it...

22. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i bought SL the day it came out, and its been sitting in the apple bag on my dresser...i'm waiting for an update before i take the leap of faith.
    PS does anyone know if office 2004 works w/ SL?

23. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

In a heart beat. Have had zero issues with it! So far. :)

24. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I would without hesitation. Upgraded four Macs at home. No problems with any of them. The only compatibility issue I ran into was with the MacBooks at a Sierra wireless modem driver and there was an easy workaround.

25. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

So far so good, Minor upgrade stuff, Getting mail back, remembering configs, & Passes.
    Snappy mostly, odd it's taking forever to load mu tunes into ITunes 09