Would you upgrade

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SA16, Oct 27, 2014.

1. SA16 macrumors member

I have a 32gb iPhone 5, and I purchased the 6+, but it was too big for my needs (returned it after 2 weeks). The local apple store has the 6 16gb in store right now. Would you upgrade if you could.... Thanks for the .02

2. faiz23 macrumors 6502

faiz23

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

Nope. Not unless you were wasting more than half your storage in your 32GB 5s.

Order online for delivery and get it in a week or so.

4. SA16 thread starter macrumors member

Well I use iTunes match for all my music, so I have damn near 18gb left on my phone. Not really burning up a lot of storage. I'm just afraid that if I do get a 16gb phone, I will need more.

5. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

I would upgrade but get the 32gb unless you don't use much space. A plus is definitely a much bigger upgrade but a 6 is ok too. A 64gb 6 shouldn't be very hard to find. Use idevicechecker.com

6. sillywabbit macrumors 6502a

The iPhone 6 is not a worthy upgrade from a 5.

You won't notice a real difference in speed or size.

The Plus is a worthy upgrade, but you mentioned it is too big for you.

Wait for the @s" or the 7.

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

That'd put you at using around 9Gb out of 14GB available on a 16GB phone. While you probably would be fine for a while on a 16GB unit I think you're wise to be cautious about possible future needs.

8. SA16 thread starter macrumors member

You're absolutely right. I am not in desperate need of a new phone. I am surviving with my 5 right now. I think I am going to wait a while to see what the refresh on the 6/6+ is going to be.

9. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Several of my friends couldn't update their 5 because of storage. They didn't have a lot of apps, but a lot of photos. If you are planning to take photos and text and stuff, don't by the 16GB. In a few years that thing will fill up quick.

I have the 5s and I'm waiting till APple fixes all the bugs. iOS 8 has a lot of bugs. If the 5s is acting up, I can imagine what the 6 is doing.

10. davedvdy, Oct 27, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2014

davedvdy macrumors regular

This entirely depends on the individual.
    There are plenty of people that have commented even coming off the 5S, they
    are happier with the 6 (except for those who can't except a larger form factor).
    The screen size difference is noticeable to many reviewing them. While the PPI is the same, the display contrast is quite a bit nicer on the 6 as well (1400:1 vs 800:1).
    The camera is a marked improvement on the 6 as well, coming off a 5, as well as Touch ID.

To OP, I echo the others... as for size, I would wait to order the 64 GB model if possible.
    16 GB goes fast unless you aren't storing much of anything on it.

11. Alex225 macrumors regular

Would you upgrade

I went from a 5 to a 6 after having the 5 for two years.

The 6 feels, to me like a massive upgrade. It is definitely quicker but the thinness and screen size for day to day use is a huge difference for me so I can see the value in going from a 5 to 6.

12. moldy lunchbox macrumors 6502a

moldy lunchbox

You couldn't pay me to use a 16gb anymore. Even 32gb was starting to push it for me, taking videos and downloading apps take up more space then ever.

13. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

I Disagree. I went from the five to the 4.7 iPhone six with 64 gigs I couldn't be happier. The difference in speed is the difference between night and day. And mainly the difference and battery life is the difference between night and day. My five lasted half a day my six has approximately 50% left when I plug it in every night. I no longer need the charger at work.

14. veedubshafer macrumors 6502

I always had 16gb until the 5s I got a 32gb. What a waste of $100 for me. I don't need all that space. I don't hoard lousy cell phone pics and old text messages on my phone. I listen to whatever is on the radio so no music is stored either. Some people have pictures and texts from 5 years ago on their phones!

15. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

I disagree. The 6 is a massive upgrade over my five. Larger screen, TouchID, Apple Pay, M8 coprocessor are the big ones for me. I'm sure it's faster but for daily use I don't notice a huge difference. The others though are big differences to me.

OP: I wouldn't get the 16GB, order a 64GB. Apps and OS upgrades are only going to get larger as time goes on. Apple. should feel ashamed by selling 16GB phones at this point.

16. moldy lunchbox macrumors 6502a

moldy lunchbox

I guess you don't play games either, there's tons of games that take up over 1gb in storage.

17. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Really?
    I have noticed a big difference after coming from a 5. The phone and screen is significantly bigger, to which it has taken quite a bit of getting used to. I know plenty of people who upgraded to the 6 from a 5 too and I don't think anybody has expressed the view there is not much difference. Obviously this is a subjective viewpoint but I think better advice to the OP would be to try the device out before they commit, because there is clearly a big difference of opinion on this matter and in experience your view is unusual.

Larger form factor, touch ID, faster processor, better screen contrast, improved camera, and a better deal on storage are all reasons I can see to upgrade. I would not consider the 16GB option though as it quickly fills up even if you think it won't. :)

18. roberthodgson macrumors regular

I went from a 5S to the 6 and I am very happy with the upgrade. The screen is sharper and larger and the phone is faster
    Has a better camera
    And has NFC for Apple Pay

19. SA16 thread starter macrumors member

Checked the local apple store this morning, and low and behold, they have a 64gb i6. I'm gonna give it a shot. I'm sure I won't be disappointed with the upgrade. I liked the 6+, but it was just a bit too large for what I use it for. Can't wait to open my new toy in a few hours.