Would you upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by puma1552, Jul 12, 2009.

  1. puma1552 macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2008
    #1
    Currently have a 1.6/120 rev. b, but with the new price cuts on the rev. c im tempted to upgrade to a 2.13 SSD rev. c...i could still get an ok price for mine since i have applecare but was wondering if you think it would be worth jumping from a 1.6 hdd to a 2.13 ssd since its a good time to buy with edu discount, ipod rebate and printer rebate...would only be a few hundred dollars' difference i believe...would you do it?
     
  2. ayeying macrumors 601

    ayeying

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2007
    Location:
    Yay Area, CA
  3. Lukeyboy01 macrumors regular

    Lukeyboy01

    Joined:
    May 15, 2009
    Location:
    Birmingham, UK
    #3
    Yes,

    The increased speed is amazing i've heard.
     
  4. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

    GeekGirl*

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2009
    Location:
    Buffalo, NY
  5. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2008
    #5
    Yea I'm really thinking about it...even the jump from 1.6 to 2.13 GHz is in fact a hefty jump in processor speed.

    I do love my rev b as it's a secondary computer but the price and free ipod is almost too much to resist. With edu discount and ipod I'm looking at $1500 for the high end. I paid an embarrassing $2100 for my base Rev. B (Japanese prices...grr).

    Unfortunately though, to the best of my knowledge the Rev C still ships exclusively with the bad 9C90 (mine has this screen as it is).

    Also I'm really wondering if I should hold out for a massive upgrade/redesign (256 SSD/4GB) due around January or thereabouts...but the pricing wouldn't be pretty at all like it is now...though if I upgraded again then, at least I would've maximized resale value on the Rev C with all the sweet offers/pricing going on now.

    Also I should note running Windows Vista Ultimate (yeah yeah I know, I don't have XP and don't like running outdates operating systems) when needed even through bootcamp basically, well, um...sucks. Runs like a dog and the fans instantly go to full blast just idling. Though I think that's more of a RAM issue than processor related.
     
  6. mhnajjar macrumors 6502a

    mhnajjar

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2008
    #6
    No, because there is no real performance gain even with the SSD unless you conceder gaining few seconds worth paying extra money!

    Save your money for a better revision ;)
     
  7. gman901 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2007
    Location:
    Houston, TX
    #7
    I agree that you should wait. I have the Rev C as my first MBA, but if I had Rev B already, there is really not any difference between them except for the SSD. Save your money and wait for the next upgrade where I am sure Apple will deliver a MBA with significant upgrades in both Ram and speed.
     

Share This Page