Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

If the iPad had a front facing camera would you ever use it for video conferencing?

• No, Never, Why would anyone even think of that

Votes: 47 18.7%
  • Once, just to try it

Votes: 66 26.3%
  • Once a year

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Once a Month

Votes: 39 15.5%
  • Once a week

Votes: 38 15.1%
  • Almost Daily

Votes: 34 13.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

freddy425

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2010
Southeast USA
I originally thought I would want one, then realized I would never have a need for it when I would still either have a MBP or iMac if I needed to VideoChat. I dont think the iPad would have as clean as a look as it does now..I dont think it would be very comfortable to hold for extended video chats...just my opinion:D

icanhasiphone?

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2008
San Diego, CA
I would of much rather had a rear facing camera on the iPad. Just think about how awesome augmented reality apps would of been on the giant iPad screen. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they put a camera somewhere on iPad 2.0.

ipoddin

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Los Angeles
I would of much rather had a rear facing camera on the iPad. Just think about how awesome augmented reality apps would of been on the giant iPad screen. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they put a camera somewhere on iPad 2.0.

And imagine how stupid you would look holding it up in public, turning around in a circle.

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
I've used the camera on my Acer Netbook exactly once. That was the first day I got it when I forced my wife to conference with me from the basement to the living-room. 40+ international trips later, I've never used it again.

So no... I don't think I'd use it more than once. People forget that the front facing camera is only useful if your Luddite friends/acquaintances also have cameras and are willing to use them.

Anyway, I'm sure somebody will come up with a small Dock-adapter accessory camera. Should be fairly cheap/easy to do.

caubeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
Like anyone else, I'd hang one in the bathroom as a shaving mirror and watch TV on it while on the toilet.

CalebA

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2010
I would put tape over it, so I'm glad it's not there because that would be ugly.

You don't think it would be nearly invisible under the black tinted glass bezel unless it were seen by just the right light? If a front-facing camera appears in an iPhone, it will probably look like that.

edit:

If these pictures are accurate, then it's a pin-size countersunk hole:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/900333/

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
I use the iSight in my MBP every day, so barring the issue of the angle of view, I would think I would use it on my iPad also. Then again, without some type of "windowed view" of the remote cam, I wouldn't be able to do anything else with it during the chat, so maybe not.

Having one on the iPhone though, might address that for me.

jsbaugh

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
At the end of June the iPad is getting the front facing camera it wanted. Its called tethering the new iphone to the ipad.

icanhasiphone?

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2008
San Diego, CA
And imagine how stupid you would look holding it up in public, turning around in a circle.

And I, unlike you, wouldn't give a ratsas* how I would look to people while holding up an iPad in public. If they think I look funny thats their problem. Im not a self conscious 6th grader anymore. :)

tdream

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
It's almost completely useless for me, though I can see how other people might use it a lot. It's nice to have but definitely not a priority for me.

pooryou

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2007
NorCal
You don't think it would be nearly invisible under the black tinted glass bezel unless it were seen by just the right light? If a front-facing camera appears in an iPhone, it will probably look like that.

edit:

If these pictures are accurate, then it's a pin-size countersunk hole:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/900333/

WTF are you talking about? I don't think you even read the post you were replying to.

Soura2112

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2008
Not really

It would feel so odd using the ipad as a camera and like mentioned before using a front face camera would be good and bad. Good for those who love video chat and use a dock. The bad is needing to dock, though I can see some ways it could have been used for people, say those selling houses, or others that would like to walk with it showing people things via Ichat (or whatever chat system you use). It would just feel weird holding the ipad for chat, again unless you use a dock. To me I don't see a need for it, but I also think they should have put one in just to make everyone happy. It would not bother me either way, unless it was more money.

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island
Yes and Very Very Yes...
I am using Nexus One and out of all those iPhone OS 4.0 features, nothing comes close to pry me back from Android.

However, looking at Engadget and Gizmodo coverage of the "found" prototype for iPhone Generation 4, and the fact that it has front facing camera just convert me back to iPhone if they indeed have front facing camera and able to do video chat of some sort.... With my loved one in +12 hours time difference, really need this on the go....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.