Would you use an app based on anonymous sharing?

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by gjrevans, May 22, 2012.

1. gjrevans macrumors member

gjrevans

Hey Everyone,

I'm trying to gauge the level of interest in a new application that I am currently working on. My friends and I are completely fed up with Twitter, G+, Facebook (etc.) and while stuff like Reddit is fun, I don't really enjoy it on my mobile device, nor do I feel like I'm part of the Reddit community.

In the research I've done thus far, it has become clear that even though most wont admit it, people simply desire feedback and collaboration on the content and ideas that they are posting and sharing with one other. At the same time however, the current social tools we have available to us do a really awful job of filling this need/desire, especially in a mobile context.

So here is what I am thinking, I want to build an app that helps users connect and share with one another without requiring tons of personal information, while also focusing on providing users with true relevant content, that is easily accessible in the palm of their hand.

For instance, I don't see my girlfriend posting pictures of awesome cupcakes she has made on Reddit; she'd probably get made fun of or her post would simply disappear into cyber space. She might however, post them on her facebook or twitter account. However, these days, she would be lucky if even 1 or 2 people simply liked the post; forget about receiving any "real" feedback. Thus, the community we are trying to attract is instead one that enjoys the idea of creative banter and chatter; one that wants to interact with content that is relevant and interesting to them.

I don't think it makes sense to differentiate this product so much as to make it, it a sole functioning entity, but instead to embrace the existence of the other amazing technologies and networks at our disposal. We would likely connect with their the API's for Pinterest, facebook, twitter etc and in turn focus on connecting users with content that has already or is already being created, but make these connections anonymously (or not - up to the users) in a more effective manor.

What do you guys think? - I'll try to post some initial mock ups later if we get some attention on this post!

2. gjrevans, May 23, 2012
    Last edited: May 23, 2012

gjrevans thread starter macrumors member

gjrevans