Would you use Push To Talk on an iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hankster, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Back in the day when I was a fireman all my friends had Nextel. We used Push To Talk religiously. With so many iPhones out there now would a similar feature be widely used?

I'm actually shocked more phones don't use this feature, I loved it years ago and used it more than talking on the phone.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Nope. I used Nextel with a Motorola i730 PTT. I have no desire to use a feature like that anymore. Too many people would call and scream on the first transmission rather than first beeping it and waiting for me to respond. It gets embarrassing at times when you're in public, like a bank and someone starts hollering something stupid across it for everyone to hear.

Nowadays my PTT is done with a Motorola APX6000 model III.

[​IMG]

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Some people I know use HeyTell to send quick voice messages back and forth. Find it easier on the road than texting.

Not a bad service.

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Nah. The few jobs I can think of where this would have been useful (live, switched, video production) we have all put in our earbuds and do a conference call for the length of the job.

Perhaps there's some other job where push-to-talk on an iPhone would be useful, but it's not mine.

5. gpatrick15 macrumors regular

Not sure if iOS has a Voxer app (I'm sure they do) but it works fine if you have a bunch of friends who use it. Plus they send you a notification when someone tries to communicate with you, rather than just shouting it aloud.

6. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

I loved my old Nextel PTT feature we used it all the time. I would love for Apple to give us PTT, IF it was free. If it worked just between iOS devices I'd be very happy.

7. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

My girlfriend and I use HeyTell... Especially when we are traveling... It allows us to "talk on the phone" when each of us are too busy to actually be on the phone if that makes sense. We basically use it as a more personal form of texting.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hated listening to peoples nonsense conversations all the time in public with their annoying push to talk phones.
    Brrrrrpp
    Hey whatssss Upppppp.

9. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

+1

I rather stick to texting, but HeyTell seems to be the best solution to the OP's problem.

10. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Apple would have to make some design changes to the hardware likely, a new chipset and possibly a button (hard or soft). But the network carrier is where the real changes would need to occur. I think Verizon tried to do their own PTT but it never quite took off, since at the time, Nextel had the stranglehold on PTT.

I don't think we'll ever see PTT on an iPhone or in carriers again.

11. newyorksole macrumors 68030

Yesss! Swear I think of this often.

I had the Nextel i860 and i870 and that was my favorite feature. The iPhone really should have it. Would be so dope.

12. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

What service are you using that on that offers PTT? I know they are shutting down iden.

13. Scrub175 macrumors 6502

Scrub175

I use the app tikl. It has a chime to answer and establish a connection and a do not disturb mode. The app has evolved a great deal based on user feedback. My response may be off topic as this is an app rather than functionality built into the phone.

14. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

15. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

i find people super annoying just talking on their cell phones anyways....couldn't imagine everyone talking on speaker phone 24/7. no thanks

16. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

17. nostresshere macrumors 68030

I can usually deal with people on cellphones.

I can NOT deal with people doing those blasted push to talk. Why do think everybody with 100ft wants to hear their crap?

I hate it.
    I hate it.
    I hate it.

18. takeshi74 macrumors 601

You probably wouldn't be as shocked if you didn't assume that everyone had your preferences (on any topic for that matter).

19. robdam1001 macrumors 6502a

20. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

I prefer heytell, but the majority of iPhone users use Voxer. So I switched to voxer.

21. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

22. dahauss macrumors regular

I use voxer. It does not kill my battery at all.....