Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you use Windows...

• Yes

Votes: 27 35.1%
  • No

Votes: 32 41.6%
  • Maybe

Votes: 18 23.4%

• Total voters

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
The vulnerability and random problems with (in)compatibility of additional hardware make me really hate my windows computer. With the vulnerability gone i may be swayed in to staying with Windows because they can just get such better prices on hardware. But because of Apple's beauty in their machines and still much more attractive and easy-to-use interface it makes it much more of a toss up.

:rolleyes:

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
My company uses Windows. So, I do for my work. If I am buying computer with my own money, I will go with Mac. I had to buy Windows Tablet PC as an exception as Apples does not have a tablet Mac (yet). So, I go both ways.

wozzlewoozle

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2005
sarkoland
whatever gets the job done

For my personal machines definately mac. However, for work (i.e., scientific research) I'll use whatever gets the job done. In a single day it is not uncommon for me to use mac/windows/linux and other unix (solaris and/or irix) to get my work done.

freeny

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2005
Raised on a Mac since 1987. Never "switched". In my lifetime to this day I have probably spent maybe 3 hours total on a windows machine. I will most likely stay with Mac till my last dying day. I feel very lost when using a PC.

hana

macrumors regular
May 23, 2003
Los Angeles
Count me in as one of those people who has to use Windows for work. It works fine as long as
(1) our network administration office is maintaining it properly.
(2) the power doesn't go out due to high winds.
(3) my officemate doesn't try to run her personal area heater and toast a bagel at the same time.
(4) some idiot doesn't give me a floppy disk (okay, this is sort of an old story, just replace "floppy disk" with "e-mail" ) that contains a word document (distributed this way to hundreds in the company) that contains a virus.

Since, at home I am my own network administrator and I want to keep things simple..... I have the Macbook! :D

savanahrose

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2006
greer SC
I don't dislike windows, i grew up using it. I always liked it, but I haven't cared for it since switching.

same here. But I do have to say that I was on my gateway a couple of times mainly to fix problems...It felt so so creepy.

I wouldn't go back to windows again. I just didn't like it. I do however have to use them at work. But as for pleasure at work, I only go to macrumors and i play games when I can.

Mammoth

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Canada
I wouldn't use it because the majority of freeware is so hard to use it's not even funny. And the UI is just too.. one-thing-at-a-time-ish.

iShane

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2006
New York -> SF
I would use Mac more for sure but yeah, I would use windows. I do now with all the problems. Of course I use the Mac more but sometimes Windows displays stuff better.

Irish Dave

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2006
The Emerald Isle
I was in Windows "hell" for many, many years, then about a year and a half ago I saw the light.

Would I go back to Windows? ......... Just because I'm Irish, don't think I'm daft !!!

Mac's rule ..... OK :) :) :)

Dave :)

brad.c

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2004
50.813669°, -2.474796°
Luckily, I've been able to work in the graphics/design field, and have avoided Windows as a necessity. I don't actually have anything against Windows anymore (I was a steadfast Mac supporter in the face of IT departments who wanted to "standardize" on a PC platform). But I can't see myself paying for a MS product while a workable Mac solution can be found.

It is a little scary when you consider that at my age, I have no "Windows" experience to tout on my resume. I hope design continues to pay the bills!

Crashmaster007

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2006
PA
I still use windows right now, I have a desktop and a MacBook. I think that if windows was virus and crash free and whatnot I would use everything just the same, just with less antivirus installed.

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
I've never had a Windows PC and I don't have any reason or need to use Windows... why would I even consider it? :eek:

I would have no problem using any other platform to be productive even if all Macs simultaneously disappeared from the face of the earth... which is just about the only way I would be forced to use something other than a Mac as my main platform. Even if Apple stopped making hardware and software today, the fact that I am still productive with Apple equipment that is more than 9 years old means that I'd still be doing stuff productively on todays Macs at least 9 years from now.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
If it wasn't so vulnerable to viruses, and didn't crash?

Some people I have seen only switched to Mac because of this, not because they didn't like the interface.

What about you? Would you use it if it didn't crash? Or would the interface trun you away?

Odd, as my Pro and 17" MBP have to date crashed inexplicably(i.e. not after a driver or software install) more often than the rest of my home Windows PC's combined (That's an 8:2 ratio in terms of machines) despite re-installation of the OS. The average seems to be one curtain of death a fortnight for the Macs (even if you discount the 'sleep of death' on the Macbook Pro), and once a week under heavy use which is not really acceptable.

My Dell Precision 490, XPS 700 and 710 have actually yet to crash since purchase due to other than an easily troubleshooted driver mismatch on installation of some additional hardware. I've also never seen a BSOD on my Precision 690's ever, although I had a few display adapter related problems and some fan issues as well on the machines at first.

Having my fair share of common sense, I've never caught a virus or spyware in all my time using Windows or Mac. I run tools to prevent infection, but honestly I've never needed them.

These days I actually browse MR on a PC more than a Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.