Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacDonaldTrump

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 28, 2018
Brisbane Australia
I’ve managed to find a good priced IMAC PRO base in perfect condition with Apple Care till 2021 aud$4400

Vs education top spec IMac 27” 2019 aud$5100 plus apple care aud$200

both great options for my needs. Max budget $5500

Other options - wait/save macpro
Wait/see MBP 16”

I need to get back to used IMAC PRO guy tomorrow.

Thanks

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Personally, I’d probably wait for the 16” MBP, then decide, but your situation might be different. I’d be interested in an external monitor with USB-C charging as a companion device for desk use.

Reactions: MacDonaldTrump

MacDonaldTrump

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 28, 2018
Brisbane Australia
Personally, I’d probably wait for the 16” MBP, then decide, but your situation might be different. I’d be interested in an external monitor with USB-C charging as a companion device for desk use.
Yes I am thinking the same thing.

it would be nice to save one $ buying the iMac Pro but always worried about buying used.
I do already have good monitor, USBc hubs, peripherals etc

SecuritySteve

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2017
California
Yes I am thinking the same thing.

it would be nice to save one $ buying the iMac Pro but always worried about buying used.
I do already have good monitor, USBc hubs, peripherals etc
I'd wait for the MBP. If the rumors are to be believed, it might be Apple's true first workstation class laptop. Xeon processors, probably a beefy Radeon VII or Vega II GPU, and a very pretty display. This undoubtedly will hit all of your performance needs and be portable.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
A macbook pro in no way compares to an iMac Pro, top spec iMac, or a Mac Pro. No matter what Apple comes out with, it will not compare to a desktop class computer which is what OP seems to be looking for. Strange advice.

OP, if the iMac Pro is the base model, skip it. Go for the top spec iMac with education discount. Despite the better cooling on the iMac Pro, I wouldn't drop 4K cash on a 2 year old machine with limited upgrade paths. The 2019 iMac outperforms the iMac Pro in single core and multi core. You would at least need the 10 core iMac Pro to see some performance gains over the 2019 iMac. And with the recent storage upgrade price drops, the cost of a 1 TB SSD has been halved. Good time to bye if you need a computer now.

And unless portability is a factor, skip the weird MacBook pro suggestions upthread. MacBooks have been unreliable for the past few years and until a product materializes and has been tested to not have the same issues as the others, I wouldn't waste your time waiting.

Last edited:
Reactions: BluefinTuna

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
You haven't said what you're doing and no one's asked.

With no other info to go on, the iMP, hands down, because that's the best one for me.
One can infer with a 5K budget and wanting a top spec machine, they're doing some kind of graphic/processor intensive work. They very obviously aren't buying an iMac for surfing the web and saving word docs.

SecuritySteve

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2017
California
You haven't said what you're doing and no one's asked.

With no other info to go on, the iMP, hands down, because that's the best one for me.

One can infer with a 5K budget and wanting a top spec machine, they're doing some kind of graphic/processor intensive work. They very obviously aren't buying an iMac for surfing the web and saving word docs.

I would typically agree with Mike about how we should ascertain use cases before recommending a product, but in this case I think bpeeps is right. It's obvious he's looking for a workstation grade computer.

I'm just concerned that Apple might be busting out a new higher end machine meant to bridge the gap between the iMac and the iMac Pro (not that there really is one, based on the threads here in this forum debating the high end iMac vs base spec iMac Pro). Apple has not produced a Xeon-equipped laptop ever, and it would certainly broaden their viable product portfolio by adding that product to target that specific enterprise market.

If that product does not materialize as expected, and Apple basically does a minor processor refresh with an expensive OLED monitor, I would recommend the Mac Pro or iMac Pro, depending on exactly what deals he can get either way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.