All iPads Would you want a ceramic iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by RudySnow, Sep 11, 2016.

?

Would you want a ceramic iPad?

1. Yes

12 vote(s)
    48.0%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    52.0%
  1. RudySnow macrumors regular

RudySnow

If Apple could get the price down for ceramic (relative to the new Apple Watch), would a ceramic iPad appeal to you?

I would think visually it would be stellar. I also understand that ceramic is more beneficial to wireless charging, so perhaps wireless charging could be an option in a future ceramic iPad. I would be concerned about scratchs and weight. Just wonder what you guys and gals think.

2. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

It's an interesting idea, but while ceramic won't scratch easily, it's nature is to shatter instead, and I'm not sure I want an iPad that can shatter.

I'm no chemistry expert, but if some kind of composite can be made to use shatter resistant ceramic, I think it would be great, assuming that the composite retains the lightness of ceramics versus metals.

3. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

I doubt such a material can be made. Though we already have something called Plastic which is very shatter resistant, light weight, and also doesn't block wireless charging or cell service.

I think shattering would be a huge issue with a ceramic iPad because of the greater weight of the device. And repairing that large and shattered back would be expensive.

4. colodane macrumors 6502a

colodane

I would prefer high quality plastic over ceramic.

5. RudySnow thread starter macrumors regular

RudySnow

Well, the point was more related to wireless charging capabilities. Aesthetically, with a wired iPad, plastic of course could work.

6. CEmajr macrumors 601

Yes ceramic would be beautiful but shattering would be catastrophic for a device like an iPad made of it. I have a few ceramic watches and make sure I'm careful with banging them against things but I can see a lot of shattered iPads if Apple made one out of it.

7. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

I'm more interested in screen quality and weight than what the iPad is made from.

8. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

ceramic?! If Apple produced a melamine iPad I'd be like, "Shut up and take my money!"

9. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

No. Expensive, fragile (chip and crack), and glossy cover equals fingerprints.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 13, 2016 ---
    iPad C?

I actually loved the iPhone 5C. I thought the blue was beautiful and it had one of the beast in-hand feels. I never owned one, but would have loved an iPhone C with iPhone SE specs.