Would you want a projector in (or for) your iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MayonGlaise, Jun 23, 2008.

1. MayonGlaise macrumors newbie

MayonGlaise

I saw these "pico projectors" featured in the latest Maxim. They are supposed to be out this year. It would make the iPhone a pretty awesome gaming device. I'd get one even as a stand alone. Whatdaya think?

Check out the vid to see it in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UfarRM0BoM

2. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

thts stupid and the worst invention i have heard all day.. how pathetic.

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Do some of you not realize that that non-contract cost of an iPhone is already back to $600 with the addition of 3G and GPS? Throw in one of these and you'll add a few hundred more.

I have no idea what such a thing would do for playing a game. You're still talking about a device with no buttons.

I must also remind everybody that Apple still sells MacBooks. About every pipe dream someone has for the iPhone is something easily doable by a $1000 computer that weighs about 3-5 pounds. Pleeeeeease lay off the Bond movies!

4. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

I've seen articles on micro projects now and then, I can see them becoming norm. I mean, remember the time when camera's were $50 bulky attachments to cell phones and probably pointless compared to a real camera, now they're common place.

Though, it sounds like fun at first, but I wonder after the small gimmick, when and where you would use it. For a movie, you wouldn't want to hold it the whole time, and it might look odd placed on a stand projected at a lower angle to a wall. Could work for quick presentations. Sharing photos I guess.

Though, by the time that happens, maybe unexpected other tech will be common place. Like when everyone has Microsoft's Surface type device, where you have a large screen on a table that acts like the iPhone screen. And you place the camera or cell on the surface and it auto connects, dropping the photos into the screen under the device, and dragging them around to show as if real paper on the table.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NsREy3A8RbI&feature=related

These micro projectors might have more popularity as stand alone devices at least. Sort of like how there's LCD docking stations for ipods and such. But imagine that display having the laser projector too.

5. cupjoe11 macrumors newbie

What's pathetic is your shortsightedness

Why would you say this is the worst invention you've heard today and it's pathetic zainjetha?? How many inventions did you hear so far today?

Open your mind a little...have you ever gotten double booked for a conference room for a presentation to a few people and had to find another space? How about an impromptu slide show to family members or friends after returning from a trip?

What if you could work it to be a heads up display for the GPS functionality? Don't just automatically assume it has to be for 2 hour long movies. Be creative in what it can do for you.

Think different and quit being pathetic.

6. slicecom macrumors 68020

7. nick9191 macrumors 68040

In total agreement.

8. Deadman64 macrumors 6502a

I think thats a dam interesting little device. I dont know about it being built into the iPhone but as a stand alone accessory I don't see why not...

9. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

That's what they said about the Telephone.... :eek:

Cool. They should make them so it could be set close to the wall on a table and make a big enough picture, keystone corrected.

Goodbye TV set!

(coming from a guy with a projector in my home theater...)

Already featured in the movie "The Island" (remake of "Parts, The Clonus Horror" :D)

10. slicecom macrumors 68020

And the iPod, and...

11. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Agreed. There are lots of standalone accessories we don't see that puzzle me.

Phazer

12. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Several microprojector companies have gone into or near production this year, after showing off prototypes for years.

Motorola has said they intend to build a projector equipped cell phone, and Texas Instruments hints that their projector will be in a phone or phones later this year.

Battery life is the main worry, I think. Of course, if the phone has a swappable battery, that helps.

It would be slick for sales demos. Or some games.

13. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Cool idea!

But I don't see it making it into the iPhone/Touch for several years...if ever.

14. DreamPod macrumors 65816

I'd be happy just with something that would let me view my iPhone on the TV. Not just movies, but anything, especially YouTube and games.

15. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Completely agree.

I can imagine many uses of a device like this.

16. MayonGlaise thread starter macrumors newbie

MayonGlaise

Well, at the very least one could use it as a flashlight. Surfing the web would be more enjoyable with a larger view for sure.

17. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

You can just imagine all the school kids who will beam "Kick Me" onto the back of their schoolmates. Or secretly shine test answers above a teacher's head.

The (evil) possibilities are endless.

OTOH, what a great way to share a movie with your college buds. Just sit somewhere with a white wall nearby (library, pub, snack shop), turn up the volume and beam away.

18. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Now I can see why some people have been saying this is a bad idea… :eek:

Personally I like the idea of the device… just not having someone's home movies played out next to me while sat in the pub. ;)

19. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

This doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I wouldn't buy one.