Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Would you want a touchscreen on your laptop?

• Yes

Votes: 58 26.4%
  • No

Votes: 162 73.6%

• Total voters

supertiffany

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2019
no because it just ruins the ergonomics, both hands are already resting on the keyboard and trackpad, having to lift your hand and touch the screen and back to the keyboard and trackpad is just tiring and inefficient.

unlike with the ipads which are tablets and are touch-based devices, while macbooks are computers specifically laptops that focuses on the use of mousepad because of it's precision and accuracy particularly in office work like spreadsheets or even video editing.

mousepad allows you to go to each and every corner and spaces of the screen without touching the whole area of the screen instead just scrolling in the comfortable small area of the trackpad.

circatee

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2020
Not for me. At work, I used to have a Dell XPS laptop. As soon as I received it, the first thing I did was go into the BIOS and disable the touch screen.

Even with my iPad Pro, and Smart Keyboard, I hate having to touch the screen. I try to use as many keyboard shortcuts as possible...

Reactions: planteater

The Game 161

macrumors Penryn
Dec 15, 2010
UK
there's been a few times I've touched the screen by mistake lol as so used to the iPads pro but no I think it should be seperate to be honest and why I don't think apple ever do it.

Mr.Blacky

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2016
Austria
No touchscreen on a laptop, no trackpad/mouse on a tablet. 🤷‍♂️

EDIT: Okay, if I have to use one of those crappy, little trackpads from the PC-laptop world, I maybe would want a touchscreen. 🤔

ikir

macrumors 68000
Sep 26, 2007
Nope multitouch Trackpad and Touch Bar are very handy and I don't want to touch my screen.

scsjason

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2009
UK
Having just been given a surface pro from work, I can say the experience as awful and I wouldn‘t choose it for any laptop I bought.

Tekguy0

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2020
I don't using one, and I wouldn't pay extra for it, but if it was already there I wouldn't disable it either. I have an iPad for all touchscreen needs. I don't think it would even work well on macOS. Windows is slightly less bad but a mouse is still easier.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
I don't like computers with touch screens. I am always cleaning my screen, and they are a pain when I have to clean them with a touch screen.

Also, I don't like fingermarks on the screen either.

LeeW

macrumors 68030
Feb 5, 2017
Over the hill and far away
Personally, I just think what I would use a touchscreen for, none of what I do would benefit from a finger over a way more precise mouse.

For your average web browser who watches things more than does things then yes it is probably a good idea.

glindon

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2014
Phoenix
Not for me. At work, I used to have a Dell XPS laptop. As soon as I received it, the first thing I did was go into the BIOS and disable the touch screen.

Even with my iPad Pro, and Smart Keyboard, I hate having to touch the screen. I try to use as many keyboard shortcuts as possible...
Same with my iPad Pro and Smart Keyboard. I almost never use the touch screen. Pinch zoom is most common since the trackpad is so tiny.

tacomahunter

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2007
Idaho
No thank you! I had a Dell for the last 5 years, when I got the new Air M1 it reminded me how much I didn't need a touch screen on my laptop and I never used it as a massive tablet.

G5isAlive

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2003
I wonder how many people that answer 'no' routinely use an iPad? I would never want to HAVE to use a touch screen, agreeing with everyone about precision etc... BUT I use an iPad a LOT and I find when I sit down at my Mac and want to do something simple like dismiss an alert box that muscle memory takes over and I poke at the screen with my finger and wonder why it's not going away. For some tasks, maybe not a lot, but for some a touch screen would be nice is what I am saying.

ghanwani

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
I wonder how many people that answer 'no' routinely use an iPad? I would never want to HAVE to use a touch screen, agreeing with everyone about precision etc... BUT I use an iPad a LOT and I find when I sit down at my Mac and want to do something simple like dismiss an alert box that muscle memory takes over and I poke at the screen with my finger and wonder why it's not going away. For some tasks, maybe not a lot, but for some a touch screen would be nice is what I am saying.
If you use an iPad with a keyboard, I can see that problem happening. If one is just using an iPad, it would be no different than using an iPhone, so at least for me, there's no issues and I definitely don't want a touchscreen. If enabled on Windows machines, I find it to be an annoyance and disable it.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
What people who wish for touch screen Macs don’t seem to realize, is that your fingers will always leave marks, smudges and smears on the screen. It’s one thing when you’re talking using an iPhone or any other hand held device that you can easily swipe clean with your shirt sleeve or pants leg, but as the screen gets bigger, the problem gets worse (more real estate to mess up) and it’s just not easy to keep it clean.

I‘ve been using my iPad Pro 12.9” for the past few years as my daily driver, but since iPadOS and its trackpad / mouse capability, I hardly ever have to touch the screen, except when I’m using it as a consumption device (YouTube, AppleTV, etc.). And as others have noted, for those of us who have to actually work on our devices, the efficiency of keeping your hands on the flat plane of the keyboard / trackpad is FAR better and faster than having to reach up to the screen to touch something.

Reactions: kltmom

iOS Geek

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2017
Before buying a MacBook, I had an HP laptop that had a touch screen. I used it...because it was there. Was sort of indifferent on it at the time. Didn’t love it, didn’t hate it. After buying my MacBook and losing that touch screen feature, I would say I haven’t missed it at all. I look back to when Phil Schiller talked about it during the MacBook Air intro and that they didn’t do it because it wouldn’t be comfortable to use. Having used one, I would totally agree. It was almost awkward to use.

richinaus

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2014
Ipad for touch and pen input
laptop for productivity mouse work.

I would like pencil input on a laptop tbh as I do markups and drawings, but also hate marks on the screen, so fine with the ipad + MBP combo [even though it is heavy and expensive.....]

Reactions: dhershberger
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.