Would you want an optical drive in a macbook pro or two HDDs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by peanutismint, Jul 7, 2011.

1. peanutismint macrumors 6502

peanutismint

I'm selling my mid-2009 Macbook Pro which I have 'souped up' over the past few years - I've maxed out the RAM to 8GB, have installed an 128GB SSD and have also removed the optical drive in place of a 500GB HDD in an optibay.

Now that I'm selling it I'm wondering how to 'market' it.... should I sell it as it currently is with the upgrades as mentioned above, or do you think I'd have more interest from potential buyers if I were to re-install the original superdrive? If I were to sell it as-is, would you suggest I offer the superdrive as an added extra? Or even purchase an external drive enclosure to sell it with??

I'm looking for your opinions as potential buyers! :)

2. Young Spade macrumors 68020

You're going to have to sell it as is; the reason I say this is that when you installed that optibay and SSD, you voided the warranty. That's what I thought always happened anyway. I think that people who aren't as hands-on would be more inclined to buy this model anyway because the work was already done for them.

3. redsteven macrumors 6502a

redsteven

I'd try selling it the way that it is. Less work for you to do, and it also sets yours apart a little bit from any others they might be looking at.

4. peanutismint thread starter macrumors 6502

peanutismint

I suppose that makes sense.... It's a shame if it does in fact void warranty as it's still in warranty til August 2012.... I guess if the new owner puts it back to 'stock' then it would still be under warranty...... ;) Not that I'd condone it...

5. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

You might get a few dollars more for the dual hard drive setup, but IMO you're better off putting the 500gb and DVD back in and not saying anything about the optibay mod when you're selling it. Save the ssd for your next laptop.

6. redsteven macrumors 6502a

redsteven

not a bad idea, actually

7. peanutismint thread starter macrumors 6502

peanutismint

Hmmm yeah that's not a bad idea either.... There are a few ways I could go, I guess... I'm not sure what the going rate would be for a 2nd hand MBP from 2009, but obviously I've spent about another £200 on the RAM and the SSD and the optibay caddy altogether so I'd be hoping to factor that in, even with depreciation for usage etc.....

Will have a think!