Would you want flat UI design out and ornate UI in?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by deluxeshredder, Feb 15, 2015.

?

Would you want flat UI design out and ornate UI in?

1. Yes

26.5%
  2. No

44.1%
  3. Indifferent

29.4%
  1. deluxeshredder macrumors 6502a

The flat UI trend has been rampant, much like the functional achitecture trend many decades ago. Would you like it to continue?

2. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

By no means. Flat "design" was/is a mistake, like naïve art.
    My opinion.

3. snorkelman macrumors 6502a

snorkelman

Flat UI is about as appealing as bell bottom flared trousers (and hopefully with as much staying power)

That said its nowhere near as bad as the overblown transparency that's hitched along for the ride

4. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I like the flat look when it's done well. Google's Material Design look is flat done particularly well, and is easily the best of the big three in my opinion.

5. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I make my judgements on UIs based on actual implementation and usability.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Same here, I think there was some good skeuomorphic design elements in the pre-iOS7, but I also think they took skeuomorphism too far. Likewise on iOS 7/iOS 8 the flat design has some good things but I also think its missing some polish that iOS 6 enjoyed.

On the OS X side of things, I'm liking the flat design less, even though for windows 8, its been implemented better imo.

My point, if its a well designed, well thought out design it will work regardless of what design philosophy is being embraced

7. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I like KDE 5's implementation of flat UI not enough to use it though. I hope the flat fad is exactly that and we can go back to "normal" UI's soonish.

8. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

What is normal?

9. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Quite.

Not that long ago, this was normal:

Attached Files:

10. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I just hate that they made it more difficult if not impossible to modify the UI yourself or with third party tools. That was one of my favorite activities on the Mac.

11. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I couldn't give a bloody toss on whether the UI is flat or skeuomorphic. As long as it works without much bugs, I'm happy.

12. jayducharme macrumors 68030

jayducharme

To me, it's not so much the "flatness" as the consistency of the UI. Currently in iOS, buttons change location and look depending on the app and the device. I'm not a big fan of plain text as a button, but the least they could do is put the delete button (for example) in the same spot from app to app. Sometimes it's on top, sometimes the bottom. Sometimes it's text and sometimes it's a little trash can icon. It all seems haphazard.

And for the love of God, fix the nauseating color choices! Will someone please tell Jony Ive that yellow text on a white background is nearly illegible!

13. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

The color choices are getting really strange, like the glaring new color of iTunes.

14. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

I just want the UI to not take up a lot of resources and for the OS to run programs well. Flat or skeuomorphic is irrelevant, really, as long as it's done well.

15. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

I find the iOS design to be a tiny bit too minimalist. There used to be fat buttons for navigation and function, now they use there wiry little squiggles that can be difficult to spot. If they added some outlining or shading to make the touch objects easier to pick out of the background, the flat UI would be a whole lot easier to use.

But, of course, themification would be better. When I had ShapeShifter on 10.4, it worked really nicely – I was using "Menu Enhancer", which, ironically, made everything look flat and heavily sketched, but with a nice parchmenty underlay. I want that option for iOS/, but without the extra CPU overhead that Unsanity had to hack in to make it work.

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'm not a fan of the flat UI design. I liked skeuomorphic design of iOS 6 and earlier OSX.

17. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

Same here. Flat design is too minimalist, too primitive for my taste. I prefer skeuomorphic design. It is sophisticated and more realistic.

18. hotpotato123 macrumors member

Some 3D effect helps usability

My ideal would be to add a slight touch of 3D effect to Yosemite, just enough to help the user distinguish the items on the screen. Maybe not as much as Mavericks and earlier generations, but enough to help usability.

19. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

I really don't care if it's "flat" or "ornate". I just don't want to see Apple do away with some of the nifty little touches in their operating systems. For instance the movable fullscreen playback controls, which iTunes has sadly ditched in its latest version.