Would you want iPhone5 to be thinner than the iPad2?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jett0516, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Jett0516 macrumors 6502a

Jett0516

From the pic below the iPad2 is .05mm thinner than the iPhone4. :eek:

Would you want the iPhone5 to be thinner than the iPad2?

[​IMG]

2. Jett0516 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jett0516

3. JulianL macrumors 65816

As long as they don't compromise battery life then yes. My shirt pocket is a fairly regular home for my phone and the thinner and lighter it is, the better it sits in that particular pocket.

- Julian

4. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

I would prefer they keep the same size and put in a bigger battery or more memory than make it thinner. I really like the size of the current iPhone, maybe just round out the edges.

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

We're getting close to the limit.

I think an iPhone that got down to 6 or 7 mm would be a nice improvement, but not much more than that.

Once they get to the point where they COULD make a 4 mm iPhone I hope they give up and just make them thicker for no reason other than that's a good size for the human hand.

6. Stein357 macrumors 6502

Make it as thin as they can without making it feel like it's going to snap into two pieces.

7. ghayenga macrumors regular

It's already thin, and the battery life is great. Thinner would be good, but even greater battery life would be even better.

8. EvilEvil macrumors 6502a

EvilEvil

I want the iPhone 5 or 6 to be as thin as the 4th gen iPod Touch.

9. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I think its a good thickness right now. You have to remember the iPad has a ton more internal real estate so they just toss things in there. The iPhone has to be much more carefully planned so all the parts fit properly and work right together. I'd hate to see Apple sacrifice battery life or computing power to get a millimeter or two out of it. I'd rather keep the size and have a stronger, faster, longer lasting phone.

10. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

I bet its 8.7mm, just to say its thinner than the iPad 2.

11. JulianL macrumors 65816

Yeah. In fantasy land I want it 25% thinner with ten times the battery life, but back in the real world it's a trade off and I value battery life more than thinness so I'll change my mind about wanting it thinner. Certainly don't make it any thicker, but keep it as it is and integrate the existing components more and more tightly so that the battery can get bigger and boost battery life.

- Julian

12. los318 macrumors 6502

los318

I agree here. so long as it still feels solid i'm good.

13. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I wouldn't mind the same thickness. It feels really sturdy and solid the way it is now. I'm expecting them to up the battery life at least.

14. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

Agreed. I like the feeling that the phone is a solid piece. I don't like that you can pick up older phones or ones designed without that in mind. You can feel the air space in there and that airspace ultimately can lead to the components moving more when you drop the phone. I like that solid feeling. It reminds me of that line from Jurassic Park where they ask. Is it heavy? Then its expensive.

15. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

No please. Using an ipod touch is nightmares without a case. Maybe it's just the bigger hands but handling the touch with its thin profile while playing games or just using it is much much harder than the iPhone. Just not right ergonomically.

Thinness is not everything :rolleyes:

16. iPhonedHome macrumors 6502

NO! The phone is small enough. I agree with the poster above in that the iPod Touch is too thin. Not easy to hold unless you have a case on it.

Yay! We all get that Apple is great at making thin products. But geesh enough is enough.

Give me a bigger screen and keep the current thickness of the iPhone 4 and I'll be happy. Couldn't care less if everything else remainded the same.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think the iPhone is fine the way it is. Any thinner may make it more flimsy.

18. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

I actually find the thickness of the iPhone 4 to be perfect right now. I'm not sure if you've ever held an iPod Touch up to your ear, but it feels super awkward. I don't want the iPhone to feel like that.

19. ste1164 macrumors 6502a

ste1164

Same size as it is now or was with the 3GS to increase battery life. I would also like it to be more curved so its nicer to hold.

20. Lava Lamp Freak macrumors 65816

This is what I want too. Thickness is ok, but I would like it to be curved. I find the iPhone 4 uncomfortable to hold without a case. Making it rounded again would fix that. I never used a case on my 3G but I've had one on my 4 from day one.

21. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

22. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

I'd like it to be the same thickness as the new iPad actually.

23. Mr. Incredible macrumors 6502a

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the iPhone 5/4S is going to have the exact same body, just hardware specs upgrade.

2012 is the year for the new iPhone redesign. I wouldn't want it to be thinner than the iPad 2, it's already thin as it is.

I would say the most they should do is match the same size.

24. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Or they could just keep increasing the size of the battery relative the rest of the components. More battery for the win.