Would you wipe the phone or just delete personal info?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Kadin, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Kadin, Sep 10, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2011

Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

I have a 16GB 3GS w/ 4.2.1 and BB 06.15.00 (iPad baseband) perfectly running but I don't have the unlock setup as I wanted the GPS to work since I'm back with AT&T. I'm not selling it as an unlocked phone, but it will be sold as jailbroken.

It's been a while since I did the original JB but I still have the custom 4.2.1 .ipsw and I'm pretty sure all I have to do is the restore while pressing shift in iTunes to get it wiped and re-jailbroken, right? Don't remember which program I used to do the actual JB though. I have iTunes 10.1.2.17 if it matters.

Just looking for advice on what you all would do and if you'd prefer to buy a phone full wiped, is the method above correct?

Thanks!

[EDIT] Wiped it and did it clean. No need for any more input. :)

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Since you installed the ipad bb the gps will not work any more.
    It doesnt matter if you install the ultrasnow unlock or not.
    Mind as well tell the buyer what they're getting themselves into.
    They will not be able to restore to nothing but custom IPSW's.

3. PaHtSaN macrumors regular

Applejuiced, you know your stuff, any clue how to fix this? http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1226970

4. Kadin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kadin

Uhm... GPS has been working just fine for the past 8 months so... not sure what to tell ya. Ultrasn0w is the issue for many people including myself with regards to GPS working or not. I spent plenty of time figuring it out when I first did this. Do some research and you'll see as well.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Oh good, in most cases like over 80% when you install the ipad BB the GPS feature is done.
    Ultrasnow has nothing to do with it, its the ipad baseband installation that causes the problem but in very few cases it doesnt effect it.
    Yours is in the minority.
    But again, make sure you tell the buyer cause if they decide to ever restore it with itunes it will never go thru with an official restore and will be stuck with an unusable iphone.

6. Kadin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kadin

Yeah I was already planning to let them know, gonna put the custom .ipsw on a mem stick and give it to them as well.

As to my original post, I just went ahead and restored it fresh and did the JB again. Everything is up and running fine.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nice, best way to do it is sell it clean and all done up like you did.

8. svtguy08 macrumors member

I agree. If you sell it to a 3rd party, wipe it clean. You may want to ask the buyer if he/she wants in jailbroken. Use tinyUmbrella and your backed up SHSHs!

9. Xb0xGuru macrumors member

I certainly wouldn't dispute what you're saying, but can I ask how you know it's working still? I'm assuming you've tried the normal test of removing the SIM card, disabling WIFI and disabling data?

10. 700-Grizz macrumors 6502

I had to put a Ipad BB in a 3G for a person so they could run differant carrier--GPS has been working since day 1--no issues at all