Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Think it will happen, soon or ever?

I actually do... in poor economic times, companies offer more options, lower prices, and the customers get what they request. We have seen Apple offering more and reducing prices across the board. If enough people request it, the 13" MBP will get the option. I suggest you do something... find a petition and signup.

pesc

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2006
You mean letting the most portable laptop (the one most likely to be used outside the office desk) have a screen that can handle more lighting conditions? I don't know, you might be on to something here. </sarcasm>

If Apple released a matte 13", it would be the first small Apple laptop with matte screen since the 12" Powerbook. It would finally bring an Apple laptop I would like to upgrade to.

Why not a matte Macbook Air???

I will never buy a laptop with a glossy screen.

Apple Guru

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2009
That would be sweet! Even better if you removed the black keyboard and replaced it with white ones. All silver and white ~ SEXY!

Thiol

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2008
I have a bad feeling matte screens might only come on computers with a dedicated GPU... Don't forget that the original justification for bringing back he matte screen was for high end "professionals," the same group that would use dedicated GPUs...

reallynotnick

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
I think the MBA screen is fine. Take it and put it on the MBP. It's the glass covering that kills the MBP not the gloss screen.

I sorta agree, I much rather have glossy then glassy but I would be most happy with a matte option.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
I really hope we this see this. If the 13 inch really is a macbook pro I would hope apple would treat it like one. The only problem is I already have the glossy screen (which is okay but I would prefer matte) and it will make me want to replace what is in every other way a perfect computer :eek:

sab150

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2009
I don't see anything wrong with having a glossy screen. I haven't noticed it at all =/

i cant stand theese glossy matte debates! i do abit of causal graphic design work and have had no issues with glossy i was on the fence for ages, but i can honestly say it is the most amazing display even compared to my 24 led display it rocks.. ok it is glossy but the light that hits the display isnt spead across the whole screen!

imagine a light source hitting a glass display over 5% of the screen then it would distort 5% of the overall picture/colour accuracy now imagine on a matte, at least 25/50% of the screen would be affected as it spreads the light

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
imagine a light source hitting a glass display over 5% of the screen then it would distort 5% of the overall picture/colour accuracy now imagine on a matte, at least 25/50% of the screen would be affected as it spreads the light

Compared to a huge reflection which when dealing with sensitive colour/accuracy is hugely distracting. The diffuse of light isn't as bad as people make out. When in direct sunlight, both matte and glossy suck - there's nothing you can do in direct sunlight. But as soon as you are out of direct sunlight - there is still reflections that are catchy on the eye on the glossy in a bright room, where as on matte the light diffuse is almost unnoticeable.

But lets not beat a dead horse here.. there is both pro's and con's to each. All we can agree on is that choice is good - some people prefer and need matte where as some people aren't so bothered by reflections or are attracted by the richness of glossy.

EspressoLove

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Bay Area

You can imagine it whatever you like.
Unless you imply that my opinion is inferior, and the likes of me don't deserve what THEY like - that is non-glossy, non-glass screen.

If you are not trying to teach me how to live, and leave a choice to me after conclusion of your lectures - then I'm perfectly fine with it :p

P.S. I'm torn & smitten with 15" anti-glare right now, though 13" form factor might be a better choice for me, I really hope (coz you can not apply logic to [your expectations of] Apple :mad:) they working to bring anti-glare to 13".

EspressoLove

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Bay Area
This is a petition btw.

Sign it if you mean it.

I suggest even the glossy fans sign it - such deeds & approach ensures sustainable situation when Apple listens to : Me & You!

We all have some issues sometimes (some of them 'niche' like Matt/Glossy & ExpressCard, some of them harming all : like FW on uMB).
What we need is a uniform attitude: that while we All : Love Apple, we wan't let stop hearing what WE WANT as a community (of individuals)

reallynotnick

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
When in direct sunlight, both matte and glossy suck - there's nothing you can do in direct sunlight. But as soon as you are out of direct sunlight - there is still reflections that are catchy on the eye on the glossy in a bright room, where as on matte the light diffuse is almost unnoticeable.

Exactly, glossy works great in a mildly lit room but get into a bright room and it is toast. I would like to take my laptop upstairs but it is impossible to use up there, so I am stuck in my cave.

EspressoLove

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Bay Area
Exactly, glossy works great in a mildly lit room but get into a bright room and it is toast. I would like to take my laptop upstairs but it is impossible to use up there, so I am stuck in my cave.

True, and then there is situations (I imagine;)) where glossy is a god.

But the thread here about HAVING an CHIOCE! - not glossy vs. matte battle

.... I happen to side with your preferences, but what we need here is to ensure that we all get what we prefer (especially in this case, where no [tech] excuses like bringing down entire east coast cellular network:eek::D:cool: can justify refusal to offer us options)

P.S. it's not about whose preferences is better, it's about [influencing] Apple decide what's better for you and me.

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
I have a 15" MBP w. old-style glossy. I have a MBA with regular glossy. I have a MBP with glassy-gloss. It's the glass that kills. I can use the MBP glassy and the MBA in the same environment and the difference is night and day.

Honestly, the colors do pop on the glassy-gloss but if you're doing unfun activities in a well lit area, I have problems. The glassy can't be beat if watching a movie in the dark though.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
I have a 15" MBP w. old-style glossy. I have a MBA with regular glossy. I have a MBP with glassy-gloss. It's the glass that kills. I can use the MBP glassy and the MBA in the same environment and the difference is night and day.

Honestly, the colors do pop on the glassy-gloss but if you're doing unfun activities in a well lit area, I have problems. The glassy can't be beat if watching a movie in the dark though.

It's tempting to try one of those Anti-Glare screen covers but the feedback on people who've tried them seems mixed. I read one person thought the AG film on the glass screen was the best ever, then I'll read a post that people 'hate it' .... personal preference like anything else I suppose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.