Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
As an App wouldn't it be able to receive regular updates as glitches are discovered as is now it can only be updated thru IOS updates or am I missing something ?
What's the major difference nowadays between an iOS update and an app update? If all Apple wants to do is update the Music app to fix some issues, then it could be just a 50MB iOS update that is done in a few minutes.

I am quite sure Apple will release an iOS 8.4.1 sometime early next week which will do nothing else than fixing bugs in Apple Music.

Reactions: ohio.emt

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What's the major difference nowadays between an iOS update and an app update? If all Apple wants to do is update the Music app to fix some issues, then it could be just a 50MB iOS update that is done in a few minutes.

I am quite sure Apple will release an iOS 8.4.1 sometime early next week which will do nothing else than fixing bugs in Apple Music.
Apple is much more careful about iOS updates--takes more to create one (even if it's just for a few small things for one particular app), to test it, to set it up for release, and to actually release it. Certainly a much bigger and different undertaking than just a simple app update in the App Store.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
That's not what this is talking about. You already have the music app, this wouldn't create another one.

Then what would this be?

The OP says Apple Music would be "better as an app" so that it could receive updates through the App Store. How is that not suggesting a separate app?

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
Yes ... it would be more logical if it was an app which could be frequently updated, but then Apple couldn't force you to update your entire OS to use the app. :)

Reactions: turbineseaplane

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Then what would this be?

The OP says Apple Music would be "better as an app" so that it could receive updates through the App Store. How is that not suggesting a separate app?
Sounded to me like the reference was for the current Music app to simply be separate. But it seems like it could have been to say that the specific aspect of Apple Music would be a separate app, although I'm not sure how that would work given its overall integration with music on the device in general.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Well, the most logical thing would be for Apple to allow updating of individual built-in apps through Software Update, like they do for OS X.
Yes, that would certainly be better overall.

jacks77

macrumors member
May 19, 2015
I agree, it probably would have been faster and easier for Apple to release updates to Apple Music if Music was made a standalone app rather than being part of the OS.

Easier to update as well for the user - no need for the device to reboot.

Mercifull

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
Yes ... it would be more logical if it was an app which could be frequently updated, but then Apple couldn't force you to update your entire OS to use the app. :)
Not true. Apps in the App store could be set to have minimum requirements. For small bug fixes they could be updated via the App Store but for major revisions they could request newer versions of iOS.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
The OP's premise is sound, and the reason I use third party apps instead of the built in ones: greater chance of frequent updates, fixes and enhancements.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
Not true. Apps in the App store could be set to have minimum requirements. For small bug fixes they could be updated via the App Store but for major revisions they could request newer versions of iOS.
I was making a jab at Apple.

pjh

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2007
Airstrip 1
I'm not normally in favour of new apps, especially Apple ones that can't be removed, but in this case I think it would be a good idea. On the iPhone 6 the music App is now too cluttered. Too much real estate is given over to Apple Music, rather than my own collection. This is fine if you're a big Apple Music user, but if you prefer to focus more on your own collection, it's a distraction. While I like Apple music and will most probably keep it, I can't help but feel Apple are ramming it down my throat.

Reactions: Liam555

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
One thing I love about apple music is its because its mixed with my music on the native music app. If Apple decide to release a seperate APP for this I would be less interresyed honestly.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I'm not normally in favour of new apps, especially Apple ones that can't be removed, but in this case I think it would be a good idea. On the iPhone 6 the music App is now too cluttered. Too much real estate is given over to Apple Music, rather than my own collection. This is fine if you're a big Apple Music user, but if you prefer to focus more on your own collection, it's a distraction. While I like Apple music and will most probably keep it, I can't help but feel Apple are ramming it down my throat.
The thing is that if it was a separate app that could be updated through the App Store then it would be uninstallable.

Reactions: kerrikins

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
One thing I love about apple music is its because its mixed with my music on the native music app. If Apple decide to release a seperate APP for this I would be less interresyed honestly.
Yeah, and that's kind of why it likely wouldn't work out as a separate app on its own separate from the general Music app.

pjh

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2007
Airstrip 1
The thing is that if it was a separate app that could be updated through the App Store then it would be uninstallable.

That would be annoying, but it would just be relegated to my "crapple" folder if I decided not to use it, along with all the other detritus you cant delete. What I'm saying is, I've not problem with it being one app, and I actually see that there are benefits, but the result is a cluttered mess on the iphone. This could be solved with an improved UI, but if for some reason apple can't fix this, I'd prefer to be another app.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
That would be annoying, but it would just be relegated to my "crapple" folder if I decided not to use it, along with all the other detritus you cant delete. What I'm saying is, I've not problem with it being one app, and I actually see that there are benefits, but the result is a cluttered mess on the iphone. This could be solved with an improved UI, but if for some reason apple can't fix this, I'd prefer to be another app.
I think you might be misleading it--if it is updatable through the App Store that means it comes from the App Store which means it can be uninstalled if desired (or never installed to begin with).

pjh

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2007
Airstrip 1
I think you might be misleading it--if it is updatable through the App Store that means it comes from the App Store which means it can be uninstalled if desired (or never installed to begin with).

I assumed apple would push the new app through an iOS upgrade and hence it would not be removable. I can't see apple allowing a user to remove Apple Music completely from an iOS device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.