wouldn't buying a Mac be easier?!??

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by coletteW, Jul 26, 2012.

1. coletteW macrumors newbie

2. VTECaddict macrumors 6502

Easier, yes. But sometimes that's not the point. Some people just like to modify and tinker with things. Hackintoshes are cheaper and more customizable.

3. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Cheap, fun and functional (mostly). And much more powerful than any stock Mac if you want it to be.

4. v0dka macrumors newbie

People do this out of different purposes I think: some can not afford it and like OSX and some do this as they like technical challenges and it gives them some kind of hardware freedom over Apple - I'm aware of people which have machines which outperform every iMac/MacPro you can order - for them it's fun to have this toy and it runs OSX :)

5. chrisherbert macrumors member

I've made Hackintoshes. They are much, much cheaper than a Mac Pro (which is usually the closest "real" Mac model) and you have more flexibility in hardware choices. The installation is a hassle and the updates can be complicated (although usually they are not). If you're careful about getting stuff that will work correctly you can have a fully functioning and *very* fast OSX machine for a relatively low price.

I finally switched to a real Mac Mini but my old Hackintosh was a lot faster in day-to-day use, despite having a much slower CPU. Maybe it was because the hackintosh had a better video card and faster 3.5" hard drives.

6. SpiderDude macrumors regular

SpiderDude

Well...

Here's the thing. As much as I love my 21.5 and 27 iMacs, there is one thing that bothers me.
    Their GPU, on a 2000$ computer, is a laptop GPU.
    Also, they boil up every time I play skyrim or something else.
    I'm seriously considering going for an hackintosh as my next desktop computer.