Wouldn't it be cool to be able to delete some of the Default Apps

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by bbotte, Jul 18, 2008.

1. bbotte macrumors 65816

bbotte

With the App Store running and so many Apps that replace and do a better job of the default Apps. Why can't we delete these on the phone or why can't the new apps just replace them? Heck Apple could host those "default" apps on the app store to re-download if you accidentally delete one or just want one back....

These extra buttons clutter up the screen and are redundant.

Weather Bug > Weather
    Any other Stock/investing App > Stocks
    To do Apps > Notes

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Not really. I just move them off to another screen.

3. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

4. Tragedies macrumors 6502

If you really hate them that much, move them off to the next screen. That way your first, and main, screen has all the Apps you like.

5. bbotte thread starter macrumors 65816

bbotte

Um what do you think I did with them? I would rather have them completely off the phone, the buttons on the phone are starting to add up with all the apps.....

6. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

unless you are OCD and they are arranged by genre....

7. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Maps.app, Stocks.app, Weather.app, Notes.app & Clock.app are signature/exclusive to iPhone.

Delete them, and iPhone is no longer, iPhone. ;)

R-Fly

8. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

"Deleting" the cell antenna would make it no longer an iPhone. Getting rid of those apps and you can still call.

9. big-blue-wolf macrumors regular

big-blue-wolf

I've got them on my iPod touch... :rolleyes:

10. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

I have the default apps I don't use on the last screen, but I agree there should be a way to remove them completely (while also being able to download them back if need be).

Or better yet - why doesn't Apple just give us the option of hiding the icons, so they don't show up at all?

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Same here. This is just not something I'm anxiously waiting for Apple to do.

12. Hodapp macrumors 6502a

Hodapp

I just move them off to another screen, but it would be nice to be able to hide them entirely. Bloomberg renders the Stocks app completely useless, similar to Weather and Weatherbug. Now, if Apple updated these apps so the icons changed similar to Calendar to get the current conditions in your area for the weather icon and the current status of whatever is first in the list on Stocks... then they would regain their position on my main home screen.

13. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

The apps don't even really need to be deleted, Apple could just mod the software so that, when the apps wiggle, you can x out the default apps, but instead of being deleted off the computer, they just are hidden away. They could later be "re-installed" from the setting menu.

Not in a hurry to see this happen, but it'd be nice if it showed up one day...

14. stockscalper macrumors 6502a

stockscalper

Moving them to another screen doesn't help as they are still eating up memory.

15. Tannerozzy macrumors regular

Tannerozzy

16. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

I do not ever use Stocks and I have been starting to use YouTube for the So You Think You Can Dance dance clips. But I have always thought it would be handy to get rid of the ones that I do not use.

17. The General macrumors 601

18. Daiden macrumors 6502a

Daiden

An option to hide them is a good idea, one which I support.

19. auggie2k macrumors member

auggie2k

When the Jailbreak comes out for 2.0... simply SSH into your phone and rename all the default apps you don't want...

"Stocks.app" becomes "Stocks" and now it's just a folder... nothing more :D

Did this all the time with my iPod Touch, deleted iTunes, Stocks and robbed the Photos icon for my Installer (had it on my dock, blended much better that way :))

Attached Files:

20. The General macrumors 601

At least I can use Parental Controls to get rid of the pointless iTunes icon. :D

21. jakeacc macrumors regular

No, deleting the cell antenna would make it no longer a PHONE. But deleting the Apps that Apple has created would no longer make it an iPhone. The iPhone is all about a great software/User Interface. If you deleted all of Apples Apps, and say, installed Apps create by Verizon, the phone would suck.

There needs to be a bare minimum standard of quality. Having those dozon Apps on every iPhone assures this.

Whether you think that there are 3rd party apps that do a better job of the Apple pre-installed Apps is irrelevant.

22. iLeoMarc macrumors regular

Oh my, is there something wrong with me? I arrange my homescreen by themes: Connection Applications (aim,facebook,sms,mail), Productivity, Utilities, News/Weather, Games, and Settings.

Should I get this checked?

23. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

Me too. This functionality has existed for a long time on Installer (Poof was one app that could hide any app) but I doubt an app like that would be allowed by Apple.

24. JAT macrumors 603

Wow, some don't get it. I have 4 screens (grouped by usage/genre) and have hidden several of Apple's apps. Why would you want unused icons on this device?

It's things like this that keep me waiting a bit longer before upgrading to 2.0.

25. saminsocks macrumors regular

If you should I should, too. Although I haven't finished yet. I still need to decide what to do with a few random Apps, and if I want to combine a few categories so I don't have a lot of pages with less than 5 apps on them.