Wouldnt it be easier if... (we had subforums for MBP models)

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by altecXP, Mar 6, 2011.

?

Is this a good idea or just stupid?

1. Good idea

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. Shut up

14 vote(s)
    82.4%
  3. May have a chance

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. altecXP macrumors 65816

This forums was broken into 13in/15in/17in and maybe by body style? I personally find it hard to brows over threads when there are new ones being made about 3 different sizes and even then when a person says 15in MBP you may have to guess what generation they are talking about.

If this is a dumb idea then please let me know but woudl this be a better break down?

13in MBP
    -Core 2 Duo
    -Core i

15in MBP
    -non-Unibody(or maybe the years listed)
    -Unibody C2D
    -Unibody Core i

17in MBP
    -non-unibody(again, or years listed)
    -Unibody C2D
    -Unibody Core i

General - for those that want to ask about comparing two models, or talk about return policy and such.

This might help stop come of the confusion that I see about people posting solutions that do not apply to specific models. Each sections could get it's own stickies, about how much RAM is possible in it, how-to do a tear down, replace thermal paste, common problems/solutions.

I could be wrong as I said but to me that just seems like a way to make the site not only more manageable from a support perspective and easier to use and more helpful based on a user perspective, not only because a person knows exactly where to post for his/her notebook but also that users replying know what model is being talked about and what fixes apply to that model.

2. lukta macrumors member

It would be a good idea if people clarified what they were ping to talk about in their thread title (unlike you) and then gave a good description in their post; like year, model size and specifics.

3. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

Most things are relevant to any size of the MBP and instead of having the same topic in three different threads it best to keep it all together.

4. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Nah.

Otherwise lazy individuals such as myself and many others who try to offer assistance to the hungry villagers on these boards end up camping in our respective areas and the flow of knowledge lessens.

And I can tell you right now that there aren't enough of us 17" MBP owners to populate an entire subforum :D.

6. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

I heard from Steve Jobs that the 17" are the best selling Macbooks.

7. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

Well some people are here to just ask which size notebook they should buy.

Furthermore, issues for example the over application of thermal paste is applicable for all generations and sizes.

8. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

How about mandatory fill boxes for year and size when creating a new post.

9. altecXP thread starter macrumors 65816

thats also a really good idea. Or at least a CPU type selection, a person might not not remember the year exactly but they can easily find what CPU type it has.

10. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Lies.

The 13" MBP will nevar give up that title. Teenage Girls/Soccer Moms/hipsters love em.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, don't separate them.

12. iDisk macrumors 6502a

iDisk

Site owners are to busy/lazy to do this, but it's a great idea. It will eliminate alot of mess in the forums and would be easier for the mods/admins.

13. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

IIRC Doctor Q has said that they don't like adding more sub-forums as it would make the main forum page a mess, which is true. This same thing should be applied to all products so in the end, it would be harder for the end-user to find the correct sub-forum.

It's OP's own fault if he forgets to mention what Mac he has. That is one of the most important things. There is no need to add more sub-forums since most people have no idea what MBP they even have, so people would still post in wrong forums.