Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ToxicMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
We could download wallpapers and ringtones directly from websites like MacRumors!

I really like the wallpaper thread that is building up here but it would be so nice to browse it from the iPhone and when we see a wallpaper we like, just touch it and it downloads and saves to the photo library.

As it stands now, we have to browse from a PC/MAC, click to save it to said PC/MAC, move it to a folder that we enable photo sync'ing from within iTunes, connect our iPhone, and then sync. Or download the wallpaper to our PC/MAC, attach it to an email, and send it to ourselves, open it from the iPhone and then save it.

Would love the same for ringtones too. I remember the good old days when you could get content right from these great public forums on your Motorola, or HTC, or Blackberry, or Nokia, or any other phone except Apple... Well, I suppose you still can, just not if you have an iPhone.

Wouldn't it be great if...

Apple allowed just a little bit of freedom on our iPhones. Oh well, I guess if we wanted freedom we'd move to a place where democracy and free markets reigned. (oh man, am I gonna get flammed for that remark!)

iGuardian

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2008
I really like the wallpaper thread that is building up here but it would be so nice to browse it from the iPhone and when we see a wallpaper we like, just touch it and it downloads and saves to the photo library.

You can already do this. Press and hold, then touch "save photo"

beamer8912

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2009

Umm....you can. Touch and hold any picture and you can save it, and use it as a background.

Wouldn't it be great if...

Apple allowed just a little bit of freedom on our iPhones.

Troll

maddux2005

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
Ummm I have been downloading wallpapers from that thread directly on my phone. Just save it. Pretty simple 

maddux2005

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
We have been able to save images from the web since iOS 2.0
Before you write a huge thread about a rant. Make sure you know what your talking about 

ToxicMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
I had NO IDEA you could press and hold on an image in the browser to save it! Frikkin Great!

And no, I'm not a troll. Frikkin people. Lighten the #$@$ up!

Is there a way to do ringtones too?

beamer8912

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2009
you can do that with photos already.

Jailbreak your phone and create your own ringtones(obviously not yet, but soon). easy as pie.

You can create your own ringtones in iTunes, without jailbreaking your phone. I have 30-40 custom ringtones on my iPhone.

maddux2005

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
You can create FREE and custom ringtones by going to audiko.net
Albeit you have to sync the ringtones through iTunes, it's still better then paying for em.

Apple-NoEscape

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2010
United Kingdom
Albeit you have to sync the ringtones through iTunes, it's still better then paying for em.

You can do it through iTunes.
YouTube something along the lines of 'how to make custom iPhone ringtone' probably add the word 'hack' at the end as the YouTube community thinks everything is hacking.
I've always done it like this, it's a actually really simple.

Laimbeersux

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2010

You don't need to pay or use somebody else's website in order to make custom ringtones from any audio file in your iTunes library. The following is a guide I pieced together from a few different websites. Again, I am not the original author, just don't remember my sources.

On Mac computers:
How to create custom ringtones for iPhone 3G using iTunes for free?

The following steps show how to create free ringtones for your iPhone using only iTunes and songs you already have on your computer.

Note 1: This method only works with songs that are DRM free. To make iPhone ringtones using DRM protected songs please follow This Guide to remove the DRM protection first.

Note 2: If you want to avoid the trouble of making custom iPhone ringtones by following the steps below, you can simply get an iPhone Ringtone Maker Tool to help you easily and quickly create ringtones for your iPhone.

To make iPhone ringtones using only iTunes:

1. Right click on the song you are going to make into a ringer and select "Get Info".

2. Go to the "Options" tab and go down to the "Start Time" and "Stop Time" check boxes. Check both boxes and input the time you want your ringer to start/stop. The ringer has to be 30 seconds or less. Click "OK" when you're done.

3. Right click on your newly "clipped" song and select "Convert Selection to AAC". The song will be re-encoded using the start and stop times determined (If your menu item does not read "Convert Selection to AAC" and reads "Convert Slection to MP3" (or some other format) please go to iTunes -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Importing and change the "Import Using" drop down menu to "AAC Encoder").
make free ringtones for iPhone, create free iPhone ringtones

4. After the song is done encoding navigate to your iTunes Music folder, locate your song, and drag it to your desktop. After the song is on your desktop go back to iTunes and delete the clipped version from you iTunes library (It won't delete it from your desktop, it will only remove it from iTunes).

5. Go back the song on your desktop and right click on your song and chose "Properties". Go to the name and extension section and change the extension from .m4a to .m4r (or you can just change the extension right from your desktop).

6. After the extension is changed simply double click on the file to add it to your iTunes library under the ringtones section. Sync your phone with iTunes and you're done!

Note: Remember to go back into iTunes and uncheck your custom start and stop times for the original version of your song.

On PCs
1. Start iTunes and find the song you want to convert into a ringtone. (It must be an MP3.
2. Right-click the song and choose "Get Info."
3. Click the "Options" tab.
4. Check the "Start Time" and "Stop Time" boxes, then enter times for each (no more than 30 seconds apart, the maximum length for a ringtone.)
5. Click OK, then right click the song again and choose "Create AAC Version." You should immediately see a new 30-second version of the song.
6. Drag that version out of iTunes and into the folder of your choice.
7. Delete the 30-second version from iTunes and undo the start/stop time changes to the original.
8. Open the folder containing the 30-second AAC file that you dragged out of iTunes, then change the file extension from ".m4a" to ".m4r." Double-Click it and it immediately gets added to the iTunes' Ringtone library.

How to turn file extension changing on
(Do this either before doing anything, after creating a folder with your ringtones, or at least before step 6 in the above sequence.)
1. find the folder that you dragged the file into from step 6 above.
2. click the dropdown box that says "organize"
3. Click the option that says "folder options"
4. click on the tab that says "view"
5. un-select the option that says "hide extensions for known file types."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.