Wouldn't it make sense for iOS to...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ojaysimsanson, Sep 13, 2010.

1. ojaysimsanson macrumors member

Be compatible for widescreen slant option?
    I mean most people that text fast with the iphone, or can write fast at all use it sideways with the bigger keyboard.
    Is it just for me or does it get annoying switching back and forth.
    They should make multitasking and such also for the sideways option.
    What are some thoughts?

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Slant? You mean make things like the homescreen more landscape?

I think you may find that more people will find portrait typing faster since there is less finger movement needed to get to letters.

3. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I prefer portrait. It requires a lot less effort by my thumbs. :p

4. Ever34 macrumors regular

5. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

6. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I remember a couple years ago everyone complained that there was no landscape texting. I was one of them.

I prefer landscape for almost any typing I have to do on my phone, especially longer messages.

I for one would love landscape everything. I think it would be nice if orientation lock worked for both portrait/landscape to give everyone the option they feel is best.

7. intervenient macrumors 6502a

8. DarkCloud2015 macrumors member

DarkCloud2015

I tried landscape texting for about 30 seconds and have been portrait texting ever since. Landscape is for videos and games and stuff.

9. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

I was so used to portrait since OS 1.0.x that I never really switched to landscape, I rarely use it.

In Safari it's too obtrusive, and since I'm used to a smaller surface area I miss keys.

10. Hemmo macrumors regular

landscape everywhere.for the first time I even have landscape keyboard,i have been using iphone 2g with OS 1.4 before iPhone 4 but i still like typing landscape.

11. lbro macrumors 6502a

lbro

I like portrait a lot better for navigating around but landscape is definitely better for typing since in portrait the keys are too close together and I make a lot more mistakes. On the other hand, portrait is better for typing with one hand but I usually use two hands so it doesn't really matter.

Basically I use landscape for typing and portrait for navigating.

12. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

I also like portrait guys but no one is really answering the OPs question.

Yes, iOS should definitely support the home screen turning landscape too. All it would take is icon rotation! (Leave the dock where it is)

13. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

it wouldn't "just require icon rotation"

you'd have to convert EVERY native app to landscape (even those, wehre it doesn't necessarily make sense), you'd have to figure out what to do with the dock (just rotate the icons, keeping it on the side? moving it to the bottom, screwing up homescreen layout?)

what about swiping homescreen pages? would you swipe vertically?
    Wallpapers? would they rotate too? would you have black bars on the side or would stuff get cut off when in portrait?

etc. etc.
    it would just be a huge mess.

just rotate the phone when you wanna type in landscape :/