Wouldn't the normal passcode required to enter, be required to turn it off increase security?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FeliApple, Jun 15, 2015.

1. FeliApple macrumors 6502

I was thinking that maybe Apple could improve the 'Find my iPhone' security by requiring a passcode (the same that you have in the lock screen) to turn off. It's not that annoying (Who turns off the iPhone regularly? You generally put it in sleep mode) and it would greatly improve security, as you can now turn it off even with a passcode, rendering the location useless. What do you think?

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I think maybe you don't have iOS 8?

I recently had to turn if off on a phone running 8.1.1. It wanted the password for the Apple ID the phone was logged in with.

3. FeliApple thread starter macrumors 6502

Just tried it, iPhone 5s running iOS 8.2, no passcode of any sort required...

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Interesting. Well, all I can say is I was asked for my wife's password to her Apple ID when I tried to turn off Find My iPhone. So, maybe a setting elsewhere.

5. FeliApple thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, the password is required when you try to turn off Find my iPhone, but I mean when you turn the phone off, because if you do that the phone cannot be tracked down.

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Oh I see.

Yeah for stock that would be a good idea, although you'd probably have people complaining. Particularly, if it's one of those deals where they are trying to shut the phone down because they are at some sort of event where they don't want the phone going off.

Jailbroken, there are ways. Activator can disable shutdown at the lockscreen and iCaughtU and iCaughtU Pro are tweaks that can do the same, as well as some other anti-theft tweaks. But of course they do you no good if you're stock.

7. FeliApple thread starter macrumors 6502

No Jailbreak, and probably will never jailbreak it. They could include an on/off toggle option in settings and make everyone happy though.

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

Since a shutting down for an electronic device (especially one where a battery can't realistically be pulled under most circumstances) has to be possible without much in the way, Apple is likely not going to put something in like that. It's one of those basic things that is almost inherent when it comes to electronic devices that putting it behind a password or something like that isn't the norm or an appropriate user experience basically (hasn't even been done on computers really).

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Hope something like igotya was available on stock ios or via AppStore install.
    The jb hack above doesn't let you turn off the phone while the phone is password protected locked and not inside the home screen. Takes front cam pictures and location info from anyone entering the wrong password and emails it to the owners inbox and also provides a message on the screen when passcode is entered incorrect on how to contact the owner to return the device.
    Very useful package.

10. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

how would requiring a passcode to turn off increase security? Turning off doesn't remove any security so when you turn it back on all security would still be there. Plus you can't stop someone from running the battery all the way to 0 which would turn it off even if a passcode was required. Not that I turn if off now that you can leave on on airplanes but it strikes me a a pain

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

It wouldn't really prevent it, but it would certainly slow it down giving you more time to use something like Find My iPhone.