Would've been nice if they had "Antennae in"

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by chukronos, Sep 9, 2015.

1. chukronos, Sep 9, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2015

chukronos macrumors 6502

I know it wasn't even on the radar, but it would be nice to have that feature and not have to switch out of the appleTV.

If it is streamed,they have to pay the networks. It would be awesome to have the ability to hook up an antenna, set a station number to an icon in the app store, click on said icon and watch local nbc via antenna.

Maybe soon. Maybe never.

2. Butchie-T macrumors regular

That would assume that it would have a tuner in it. Kinda defeats the purpose of the unit methinks.

3. laurim macrumors 68000

laurim

Not if the point of the TV is to be THE tv box, especially for cord cutters. Since they are having so much trouble getting agreements with local stations, adding this functionality would have solved a lot of problems for them. Most people have the ability to get free local HD stations with a decent antenna.

Looks like I'll have to get a Tablo for this. According to the Tablo forums, they are starting on an app for the TV so it's a decent compromise, just more money I wish I didn't have to spend.

4. slu macrumors 68000

slu

But doesn't your TV have a tuner? I have two things connected to my TV: an antenna and an AppleTV. I literally have to push 1 button to switch between the two. It could not be easier as it currently is. It doesn't need an ATSC tuner.

5. laurim, Sep 9, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2015

laurim macrumors 68000

laurim

That won't get you a dvr or a channel guide. I don't want to live without being able to rewind a show a little if I miss something, either. I'm reminded of this every time I stay in a hotel. Plus, with the Tablo I can watch live tv anywhere on my iPhone.

6. Butchie-T macrumors regular

This is the way to go! Nice post. The TV has the tuner and the antenna connects to the tv. ATV is an additional input and can live together quite nicely together.

7. slu macrumors 68000

slu

You have a point about the DVR and channel guide. That is a legit reason. For my use case, it is not important because with the AppleTV and Netflix and Hulu (and iTunes), I feel like I don't need a DVR anymore so I only use live TV for news and live events (like sports).

8. Che Castro macrumors 603

I was looking forward the remote having a headphone jack
    But no

9. chukronos thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, but i'd have to switch the tv input to antenna and switch the receiver input to TV. My connections go from source to receiver to tv. It would be easier to just use a single remote and hit an app icon to get the channels I watch. An ATSC tuner would be a nice convenient addition.

10. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Check out https://www.tablotv.com/tablo-products/ . They sell either a 2-tuner or 4-tuner device that streams OTA content over your local network, and also allows recording content to a USB drive like a DVR. On their forums, they have said that their iOS team is looking forward to working on the tvOS dev kit, so I'm sure they will have an app ready soon. If their iOS, Roku, AndroidTV, and FireTV apps are any indication, it will be exactly what you (and I) are looking for.

11. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

this is very interesting
    adding to my amazon wishlist

12. ftaok, Sep 12, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2015

ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

It wouldn't be useful to people in other countries that don't use ATSC. And the number of people that use ATSC is very small relative to cable users.

A better option would be having a network tuner like a HDHomeRun and an app that will stream from those tuners.

Silicon dust is working on their DVR and they're making an iPad app. I think an apple tv app would be a no brainier.

Edit. This Tablo thing looks pretty cool. The HDHomeRun DVR sound similar, but with cable card support

EDIT 2 - apparently, I was wrong about HDHomeRun DVR having an iPad app. It's a Mac client.

13. 2010mini macrumors 68040

I think Tablo is looking into creating an app for the nATV

14. laurim macrumors 68000

laurim

Yes. They said so in the user forum. That's another reason I'm looking into it. Not quite sure because I really don't watch a lot of network tv but would like to record the Late Show with Colbert and Modern Family. But if I can get those with Hulu Plus the next day, maybe it's not so crucial to have a dvr. Dunno. I'll probably do a test run where I pretend I turned off Comcast cable and just have to live with my OTA antenna, a Hulu Plus trial and whatever I get elsewhere through the TV and Amazon Firestick I already have.

15. imaccooper macrumors regular

imaccooper

+1 for the tablo dvr mentions. I love mine and have really enjoyed being able to run through my Apple TV input exclusively and soon I will be able to do that without using my iPad to AirPlay the tablo stuff. Works great as long as you get decent antenna reception.

16. 9512tacoma macrumors member

I have read and Bluetooth headphones will work with the new Apple TV. I agree you have to pay more for those buy at least no wires.

17. ctyrider macrumors 6502a

ctyrider

Anyone knows if Elgato is working on a native AppleTV app for EyeTV? For someone like me who already has HDHomeRun and EyeTV - this would be a perfect addition.

18. alm99 macrumors 6502

It would be nice since I am in the same boat, but I doubt it. It seems as though Elgato is slowing dropping support for EyeTV. They no longer sell any TV products. I was hoping they would support the HDHomerun that accepts a cable card that came out a while ago, but they will not. Long term its probably the right decision.

19. Irishman macrumors 68030

Do you know how to switch between inputs? Chances are, you're doing it now.

I think you're gonna be okay, friend.

20. 2010mini macrumors 68040

What's stopping tablo from creating a tvOS app?

21. campyguy macrumors 68030

Lessee. OTA HD antenna in or cable service - you choose - with multiple tuners. AC wifi with streaming to multiple devices possible. Gig Ethernet, optical out, MoCA 2, 4k ready, and HDMI 2.2. Built-in storage plus eSATA & USB 2 for external storage. Netflix, Amazon Prime. Included menu service for a year. A commercial skipper. Check, check, and check!

I'd buy that. I'm getting a Tivo Bolt!

I already own a basic Roamio. I can sell that, stop the menu service since the Bolt already includes one year of that service, and then the Bolt is - for me - essentially a low-to-no-cost upgrade for me for the first year. After a year, get another one and sell that first Bolt - yeah, I'm getting ahead of myself but that's like Christmas in October. Now I just gotta figure out if that thing comes in black or I need a can of black spray paint!

22. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    ...and something to unbend it. It ships with a proactive bendgate. ;) Maybe if someone can unbend it, we can have unbendgate or straightengate?

Jokes aside: Bolt looks terrific. Tivo just keeps working it. The other players could learn a thing or three from them.

23. campyguy macrumors 68030

Funny, that. I won't be stacking anything on it unless I use 2-sided duct tape! :p

I just read a bit more, and there's a Plex app too! Score! They'll be in Best Buy stores on Sunday - there's one here on the Island, and I'll be there at opening time!

24. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Yes, I actually think they did a great job with Bolt. It looks really good with a lot of consumer-desirable capabilities all rolled into a single box. Focus is a powerful thing.

25. protobiont macrumors 6502a

That looks really cool. Any idea if there is a similar product that works with basic cable (in the US). I get all the locals for free with my internet service, and that source is just easier than messing with the OTA signals which are spotty in my area.