Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

John Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2003
Columbia, MD
I've ordered a new Macbook 2.4GHz 4GB RAM, and I've got the following games that I'd like to try on it:
  1. Quake 4
  2. Need for Speed Carbon
  3. Unreal Tournament 2004
All Windows versions, and all will be played on Vista 32-bit via boot camp. What will the performance be like, and what kind of settings should I use? I know the Apple website says 5x the performance of the previous Macbook for Unreal, and so on, but since the performance of the previous Macbook can't have been great (GMA X3100), what kind of real-world performance can I expect?

Cheers,
- John

dunneh

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2008
anyone tried fallout 3 on the aluminium macbook via bootcamp yet? I'm very curious if that will yield playable results and can't seem to find any mention of it when i google it.

mousouchop

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
New York
I have been running it pretty well on my Aluminum Macbook. I play windowed mode because I like to surf the net and talk on iChat while I play, so I turn the resolution down to 1024 widescreen, and in places like Elwynn Forest and Westfall (started a new paladin, woo! haha) I was actually getting 100+fps, SW I got 30-50 pretty consistently. Visiting **** on my mains has been a different experience everytime, ranging from 30-40, 15-25, or 5 fps. Not sure if it is just flukes, or due to different server loads each time.

I run with most of the video settings turned down (Except spell effects, spells look so neat with good detail) since I am playing windowed and there really isn't much I gain from being able to see a reflection on the ground or whatever else you gain from high video settings. I am in it for best FPS.

Usually get from 65-76*C (better than the 85 I was pushing on my blackbook), with 5000-6200RPM on my fan.

I however, have been experiencing lock-ups. I have had two Black Screens and 2 lock-ups that were just a total freeze, having to hard reset my computer 4 or 5 times over the past 3 days. Does anyone know if this is a problem with 3.0.2 patch, or is it my macbook?

I have a Genius apointment tomorrow and am still in my 2 week period, maybe i should switch out for a new one? x.x

davwin

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2008
I am playing through Fallout 3 on my new MacBook and it plays surprisingly well (1280x800 and Medium settings). I am going from memory here but I believe I set it to Bloom instead of HDR, no AA or AF (default) and turned down the water effects. The game looked pretty impressive to me even at those settings and played pretty smoothly indoors and outdoors. Not sure if there is an in-game fps setting or how to enable console to pull up the fps but it was smooth so I'd guess 25+ fps. I guess the framerate isn't as important in a game like Fallout 3 because it doesn't need exceedingly high framerates to play well (especially with the VATS system) so I hope that helps :)

fkntotalkaos

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2007
I have been running it pretty well on my Aluminum Macbook. I play windowed mode because I like to surf the net and talk on iChat while I play, so I turn the resolution down to 1024 widescreen, and in places like Elwynn Forest and Westfall (started a new paladin, woo! haha) I was actually getting 100+fps, SW I got 30-50 pretty consistently. Visiting **** on my mains has been a different experience everytime, ranging from 30-40, 15-25, or 5 fps. Not sure if it is just flukes, or due to different server loads each time.

I run with most of the video settings turned down (Except spell effects, spells look so neat with good detail) since I am playing windowed and there really isn't much I gain from being able to see a reflection on the ground or whatever else you gain from high video settings. I am in it for best FPS.

Usually get from 65-76*C (better than the 85 I was pushing on my blackbook), with 5000-6200RPM on my fan.

I however, have been experiencing lock-ups. I have had two Black Screens and 2 lock-ups that were just a total freeze, having to hard reset my computer 4 or 5 times over the past 3 days. Does anyone know if this is a problem with 3.0.2 patch, or is it my macbook?

I have a Genius apointment tomorrow and am still in my 2 week period, maybe i should switch out for a new one? x.x

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=4028094861&sid=1:D

mousouchop

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
New York

I looked through that thread and there is no mention of the Aluminum macbook. That forum was started in Jan of this year, and most of the more recent posts are dated around a week before release of the new macbook.

I guess I will just have to get a Genius' opinion on the matter tomorrow. If they think it is as rediculous as I do that a 2 week old system is locking, I am sure I will get a replacement.

I kinda hope to not get a replacement as I hav emy current system just how I like it, but if there is a hint of hardware failure this early on I would rather not deal with that for the 2-3 years I plan to own the system.

fkntotalkaos

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2007
I looked through that thread and there is no mention of the Aluminum macbook. That forum was started in Jan of this year, and most of the more recent posts are dated around a week before release of the new macbook.

I guess I will just have to get a Genius' opinion on the matter tomorrow. If they think it is as rediculous as I do that a 2 week old system is locking, I am sure I will get a replacement.

I kinda hope to not get a replacement as I hav emy current system just how I like it, but if there is a hint of hardware failure this early on I would rather not deal with that for the 2-3 years I plan to own the system.

2-B. The Macbook Pro

Macbook Pro with 256MB or 512MB nVidia 8600M GT Graphics Card

Display:
24-bit Color, 24-bit Depth. 2x Multisampling.
Vertical Sync: OFF
Hardware Cursor: ON
Smooth Mouse: OFF

World Appearance:
Terrain Distance: 75%.

Environmental Detail: Maximum.

Texture Resolution: Maximum.

Terrain Detail: Minimum.

Ground Clutter Density: Medium

Texture Filtering: 25% of Max

Spell Detail: Maximum.

Ground Clutter Radius: Minimum.

Weather Intensity: Maximum.

Special Effects:
Specular Lighting: ON
Full-Screen Glow Effect: OFF
Death Effect: ON/OFF (User Preference)

Miscellaneous
Cinematic Subtitles: ON/OFF (User Preference)
Character Shadows: ON
Level of Detail: OFF

Notes: Expect 80-100fps.

I would assume FPS at 28% increase to those numbers on average, "Get up to 2.3x faster performance with discrete graphics over integrated graphics."

mousouchop

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
New York
2-B. The Macbook Pro

Macbook Pro with 256MB or 512MB nVidia 8600M GT Graphics Card

I would assume FPS at 28% increase to those numbers on average, "Get up to 2.3x faster performance with discrete graphics over integrated graphics."

I have a Aluminum Macbook 2.4 (NOT Pro) with nVidia 9400M graphics, those settings don't apply to mine. Infact, this whole thread is about the Macbook with nVidia 9400M, so-- not sure why that urged you as being relevant to my problem. And, as I stated in my last reply, that comment was made on 01/17/2008, this nVidia chip debuted three weeks ago. Not trying to be a bitch, just saying the facts.

I have all graphics settings turned down, and anything extra turned off (Shadowing, Full-Screen Glow, Death Effect, vsync, etc), I don't even play full-screen or full resolution. I am not putting the system beyond it's means at all. I am getting the best framerates I have ever seen in my WoW gaming-- aside from the full system lock-ups.

moslayne

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2007
Call of Duty 4

I'm not sure if anyone has said this yet, but I just played call of duty 4 on a new macbook 2.4 ghz in mac OS. It ran extremely well and it looked really good. Consistent 30 fps even in fire fights.

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
I have all graphics settings turned down, and anything extra turned off (Shadowing, Full-Screen Glow, Death Effect, vsync, etc), I don't even play full-screen or full resolution. I am not putting the system beyond it's means at all. I am getting the best framerates I have ever seen in my WoW gaming-- aside from the full system lock-ups.

It is the graphics card overheating. Black screens is what I suffered on my Imac before it just up and died. I have a 7600gt iMac and I got a day or two of black screens in WOW out of the blue and suddenly the display stopped working.

jbrenn

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
can anybody test crysis/crysis warhead? i'd like to kknow if it runs at all, unlike my family's 5 year old win pc

played crysis demo on a mb 2.4 2gig in xp. it will play in a window with all setting to low. i was actually surprised it ran at all

jbrenn

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
I intalled Eve Online on a 2.4ghz 2gig ram Macbook. Game looks very nice, runs pretty good.

Havn't tried any Steam games yet, not sure if the SP1 Win XP cd I have would work in boot camp or not. Wish steam and source games could get ported to mac os.
sp1 will work. install windows download sp2 to a usb drive or cd. then install sp2 then install the drivers.

Jonesy85

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2008
Has anyone tried Everquest 2 on the macbook? I'm wanting to get back into that game.

Also, should I buy Vista 32 bit or 64 bit?

ChrisN

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2007
Demarest, NJ
Okay the left 4 demo is out so can someone please try that! I really want to know if the new macbook can run it and can someone try cod waw?
I really don't know if I should wait like 4 months to get a pro or wait 1 month to get the macbook.

ChrisN

blaster_boy

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2004
Belgium
Try Crossover games

I intalled Eve Online on a 2.4ghz 2gig ram Macbook. Game looks very nice, runs pretty good.

Havn't tried any Steam games yet, not sure if the SP1 Win XP cd I have would work in boot camp or not. Wish steam and source games could get ported to mac os.

Have you tried Codeweaver's Crossover Games for Mac yet ? Steam works, and quite a few of the Source games as well (HL2, HL2 ep1, etc...) all work fine on my iMac !

junkhead

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2008
has anyone already picked up wrath of the lich king by any chance? cause i'm wondering if it will perform as well als the original wow does on the unibody macbook. on one hand it should, cause wrath doesn't demand much more from your computer than bc does, but you never quite know 'till you tried. any and all tests with wrath will be highly appreciated.

TonyHoyle

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Manchester, UK
has anyone already picked up wrath of the lich king by any chance? cause i'm wondering if it will perform as well als the original wow does on the unibody macbook. on one hand it should, cause wrath doesn't demand much more from your computer than bc does, but you never quite know 'till you tried. any and all tests with wrath will be highly appreciated.

It's a new graphics engine (as TBC was as they keep updating it). I can run TBC on maxed settings on my old mbp with 8600M. Going into Northrend drops to 5fps. I had to drop all my settings a lot lower to get a decent framerate (on some of the more complex scenes it went into slideshow mode.. they've put a heck of a lot of detail into the new levels).

On the 9400 I'd expect you'd have trouble above minimum settings.

cheeseadiddle

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2007
Honestly, I'm utterly amazed by the difference. The white Macbook is hovering between 10-15 FPS: not great, but playable. The new Macbook is between 45-50 FPS. A huge difference. I also decided to see what I could do to make the new Macbook equal the framerate of the old by turning everything on and up to max. With everything, and I mean everything, on and cranked as far as graphic options go, the new Macbook never dipped below 30 FPS.

That's been my experience on a 2.0GHz stock aluminum MacBook too.

ChrisN

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2007
Demarest, NJ
I'm not sure if anyone has said this yet, but I just played call of duty 4 on a new macbook 2.4 ghz in mac OS. It ran extremely well and it looked really good. Consistent 30 fps even in fire fights.

hows multiplayer? is it the same as SP

well in most games are MP and SP the same?

ChrisN

Nith

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2008
Kyoto
Thanks bluemouse

i know this is an old forum, but i just signed up today and wanted to say thanks to bluemouse for all the work he did on games on the AluMacBook when it first came out.

Everything works great except for WoW crashes at random. still trying to figure that out.:confused:

junkhead

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2008
i know this is an old forum, but i just signed up today and wanted to say thanks to bluemouse for all the work he did on games on the AluMacBook when it first came out.

Everything works great except for WoW crashes at random. still trying to figure that out.:confused:

would you care to share your wow experiences, particularly those in norterend?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.