Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I don't think I've ever seen anyone on the internet write this before. :eek:

There are a few. But they all live in the US. It's about the only place in the world were Apple maps is OK. (There are features in Apple Maps found in the US and are actually useful, like traffic issues, construction zones, etc. Not sure if this functionality has made it outside the US?)

Apple will never be on par with Google because they lack Google's street view.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Apple will never be on par with Google because they lack Google's street view.

This. Until you've used it real - time on an Android phone one might not understand, but it is a great feature.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Not if your in a very rural area where there is no mapping ;) :p

You do know that anyone can now add mapping data to Google? If street view isn't covered for whatever reason, you can submit photos to add that coverage. Same with photo spheres. All those hiking and bike trails, underwater images, etc are being added to street view through crowd sourcing.

T-Mac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2007
Tennessee
Just a quick update since I started this thread. After a little over a week of use, I am still loving the Nexus 7 and the maturation of Android.

My daughter got an original iPad mini for Christmas which she loves, but I don't think it's even in the same league as the Nexus. I'm sure the new mini is a great device.

Considering that I got the N7 for $179 plus a $25 Google Play credit, I feel like it may be the best tech purchase I've ever made.

I really don't understand why these things aren't flying off the shelves. It's an equal-to-better experience at half the price.

Since Verizon doesn't have the Nexus 5, I'm thinking the Moto X is in my near future.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
I just ordered a verizon moto x dev edition. Can't wait for it to arrive. I set up a moto x for a friend a few days ago and it rocked.

----------

Since Verizon doesn't have the Nexus 5, I'm thinking the Moto X is in my near future.

Yeah, you'll be happy with the moto x. Motorola did an excellent job on this phone. I hope they make the next nexus.

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
Android has improved but it still has its fair share of crappy apps. iOS will likely have it beat there for the foreseeable future

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Android has improved but it still has its fair share of crappy apps. iOS will likely have it beat there for the foreseeable future

I've been using Android full time on my phone for the past year and haven't run into this problem. The apps are comparable to the ones on my iOS devices. Not sure what apps people are using or if it's just the same stuff that's been regurgitated on the internet since 2009.

janitor1999

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2008
I don't think I've ever seen anyone on the internet write this before. :eek:

I have tried google maps, don't need street view just proper turn by turn voice navigation, with house numbers, I am a delivery driver in the uk and find apple maps better.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
You do know that anyone can now add mapping data to Google? If street view isn't covered for whatever reason, you can submit photos to add that coverage. Same with photo spheres. All those hiking and bike trails, underwater images, etc are being added to street view through crowd sourcing.

That's cool :)

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010

I consider myself a strong power user of mobile devices and have yet to really find any apps from my iOS use that aren't available on Android. In several instances the android app is actually better.

I've been using Android full time on my phone for the past year and haven't run into this problem. The apps are comparable to the ones on my iOS devices. Not sure what apps people are using or if it's just the same stuff that's been regurgitated on the internet since 2009.

^^ what he said

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
So does iOS. Crappy apps aren't an Android exclusivity. ;)

Of course. But the ratio of crappy apps to good apps is higher with Android

I consider myself a strong power user of mobile devices and have yet to really find any apps from my iOS use that aren't available on Android. In several instances the android app is actually better.
It's not so much that a certain app isn't always available on iOS and not on Android, but rather that the iOS version is usually superior. Even Google apps seem to function better on iOS. This is more so a problem of Android rather than the app itself.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
It's not so much that a certain app isn't always available on iOS and not on Android, but rather that the iOS version is usually superior. Even Google apps seem to function better on iOS. This is more so a problem of Android rather than the app itself.

I find the opposite. Now I realize my current Note 3 is smok'in fast compared to my iPhone 4s that I came out of but still many apps offer a better experience overall. Grocery IQ is a great example. Looks better and functions better on the Android OS. Google Maps integrated with Street View...again, no comparison.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Of course. But the ratio of crappy apps to good apps is higher with Android

Google Apps don't function as they should on iOS. Work arounds are needed because iOS locks down the file system and/or Apple prevents apps from running as they should. Think Safari vs Chrome. Which one is allowed to optimize javascript, while all 3rd party browsers are hamstrung. Then there are Google apps that just plain don't exist on iOS because Apple won't allow them. Google Keep pops to the top of my head.

As for the ratio of good apps on either store, a recent review of both stores found 9 out of 10 apps on both stores were crap, legacy or zombie (meaning dead or no longer supported) apps. That's a lot of crappy apps. ;)

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
iTunes files are DRM-free AAC files that should be playable in all android music players without conversion; no need to run it through an app like Sound Taxi.

That wasn't true until late 2009 when iTunes Plus came about and they initially tried to charge more money for DRM Free songs. Those DRM free songs will appear as .M4A format when downloaded. They even demanded customers pay an upgrade for previously purchased songs to have the new version re-downloaded. No way...just Sound Taxi them and in minutes you'll be free. Besides, it's not just Apple that has/had various types of DRM. Amazon Instant Video, Zune Marketplace, BBC iPlayer, etc. all try and limit your use. Don't pay anyone to strip out DRM of older previously paid for music.

However, even with iTunes 11.x there are still songs that are downloaded as M4P files that continue to be protected by their FairPlay Digital Rights Management (DRM). It limits limits the number of computers that the file can be played on to (5) five.

Either way, there's no need to pay all that money to iTunes when there are other great sites available such as ivave or mp3million, mp3panda, etc.. Great quality and DRM Free, not to mention far less money.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.