WOW! Another Refurb success story...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by whdigital, Jun 2, 2012.

1. whdigital macrumors regular

If any of you have ever been on the fence about ordering a Refurb from Apple, I can assure you - don't be.

I just opened up a 15" Late 2011 MBP ordered as a 2.4 with HR AntiGlare, 750GB 5400rpm HD & 4GB RAM.... (yeah, yeah, don't talk to me about the potential refresh upcoming!)

As I cracked the seal on the box with good lighting and a critical eye, I inspected the entire chassis and defy ANYONE to find one speck of evidence that this thing is anything less than flawless with respect to visual condition and screen condition (no dead/stuck pixels or surface marks). It looks 101% factory fresh. :)

I also bought it knowing I would be glad to use the money saved on refurb to up the RAM and swap the drive for a faster 7200 one (i.e. a Hybrid)... So I go to fire the thing up and it reports 8GB RAM installed and a 7200rpm HDD!

A perfect Refurb and a bonus as well. :)

2. ShrubbySoup macrumors regular

ShrubbySoup

Thanks this was really helpfull, went into my apple store today and they told me refurb is much better than buying new as nothing will go wrong due to extensive checking before dispatch, guess their right.:D

3. 76morgan macrumors newbie

I bought my MBP refurb from Apple.com and couldn't be happier! I was expecting a scratch, dead pixels, or a dent... The thing is immaculate. It's my first Mac ever after 20 years of Windows and I am in complete awe on it's ease of use, speed, beauty, etc.

Also, the deal was too good to pass up (17in MBP @ almost $1000 discount).

My advice, bookmark the refurb page on Apple.com and watch it for a week or two.

4. auero macrumors 65816

I always recommend to prominent buyers to go with refurbished if they don't need the latest and greatest. The savings are terrific if you bump down one revision. I've only had one instance out of maybe 5 where I had to switch out for a new one because of a GPU issue but that can happen to anyone.

5. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

I never hesitate to go with a refurb apple product. They are top notch. I am however, usually able to get a better deal (or close enough that I'd rather buy new) buying through amazon because I don't have to pay sales tax. But on the higher priced products, or older models (and iPads, since amazon isn't an authorized retailer) refurb is definitely the way to go.

6. kolax macrumors G3

Refurbs aren't always used - they are sometimes new (e.g. if a new model comes out and they've got a lot of unopened old models).

Luck of the draw if you get one that's been used by someone. But who cares, it's like taking a dump in a public toilet - doesn't matter who's been there before, as soon as you've sat there for more than 30 seconds, it's yours now.

7. whdigital thread starter macrumors regular

Uhh... "Interesting" analogy. ;)

8. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

True, some refurbs are brand new units. The ones that aren't brand new do get brand new chassis so externally, they're clean and usually flawless.

9. SaggyBagz macrumors newbie

Mine was absolutely flawless as well. You can still get the newest and greatest (mine is a 2.5GHz that pops up in the Refurb section of the Apple store once in a blue moon).

I got lucky and ordered it right away. After several months, I don't regret it a bit.

10. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

Both my refurbs were GREAT! And the most recent one I bought (see sig) last year came with 8GB of RAM!

11. bRADYPUS macrumors member

bRADYPUS

how long will it take to get a refurb of new mbp?

If the new macbook pro come out nx week,
    how long will it take to get them in the refurb section?

Anyone have any guess on it from the previous products..:)

12. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Several months. New iPads still arent in there.