Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marsil

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2009
Yes I really like the mat option - but most of all, the glass thing on top. I just compared the air with the macbook yesterday and decided for the air - the reflections in the macbook (pro) are simply too distracting and kill my eyes. Hmmm... come on Apple!

marbles

macrumors 68000
Apr 30, 2008
EU mostly
We will all see. I am still predicting faster CPUs at least for the MBPs in a speed bump update within a few months. I still think the matte option is definitely going to be a BTO option with the next update. Battery may change... who knows.

Ask Kastenbrust. He knows everything. We are not going to get MB or MBP updates for seven more months. No reason to update it until Snow Leopard comes out. The CPUs are not going to change until 3rd quarter 2010 when Apple gets the Core i7 mobile CPUs. We are NOT going to get matte on the 15.4" MBP, not now not ever. No netbooks, market is saturated. No changes on anything until Jobs gets back.

Anything else you would like to know, just send him a PM. Or, he just might be too tired of explaining it all to us. According to him, most of us "arn't" smart enough to be on this site, like me according to Kastenbrust I'm a "retard" and none of us should talk here about what we don't understand.

Also one of my favorites from today, "so easy a monkey could do it" so I guess we are a bunch of monkeys too if we cannot change an SSD hard drive ourselves. I just wonder how many people he could offend in one day... could be a fun poll - just invite everyone from the 50 threads he replies to in a day and we could get that answer.

LMAO

Seriously though, the guy is a genius if he could just stop insulting people. We all "arn't" always too happy when getting called retards and monkeys by people on forums.

Isn't it weird how some people get high and mighty and very insulting when they get on a forum, it's quite bizarre reading if you take the time to 'view all posts'.

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
I don't think we can, for sure, whether Apple's going to announce a matte screen on the 15" (and maybe the 13") until they upgrade the lineup...but we're going to be waiting for awhile. I don't expect upgrades on them until August at the earliest...I'd say September they will upgrade the whole line again.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Isn't it weird how some people get high and mighty and very insulting when they get on a forum, it's quite bizarre reading if you take the time to 'view all posts'.

Shoot, I don't have to do that. Some people, cough cough, post on every single post that I read yesterday. When someone calls me a retard, I pretty much have to consider replying to every post, but in this case it would be impossible. There simply isn't enough time in the day.

Still LMAO. Sometimes we all just need to laugh off the bad days. I love Mac Rumors, where else in life do people call others names like retard? Oh, the playground that we grow out of by age eight.

Still LMAO. No really, this is fun. I love learning all things Apple/Mac, and this is definitely one way to do it. Heck, I wouldn't love my iPhone or Macs nearly as much if there wasn't a MacRumors.com for me to use my Apple products.

Cheers everybody.

Let's all have fun while we are here.

Whorehay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
All I know is I won't buy another Mac unless something other than the 17 inch MBP comes with a matte option. Vote with your wallets.

AluminumMB

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
Yes I really like the mat option - but most of all, the glass thing on top. I just compared the air with the macbook yesterday and decided for the air - the reflections in the macbook (pro) are simply too distracting and kill my eyes. Hmmm... come on Apple!

u bought the air over the macbook pro? interesting...i am kind of disappointed and will be returning this macbook pro

thank you all for the replies...I may just go for the air or just a high end PC...isn't the air still glossy though

even the imac is like a mirror, sad apple had to go that route and copy the imacs screen on the new macbooks

mickbab

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
so he says, remove the glass from the front and build a metal bezel around it to hold the display...

Howcome it is said that they remove the glass from the front and put a metal bezel on?

I would've thought they just wouldn't put the glass on in the first place... :confused:

$50 seems a bit silly to me. Oh well.

mickbab

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
even the imac is like a mirror, sad apple had to go that route and copy the imacs screen on the new macbooks

iMac a mirror? What sort of room are you using it in? Even with mine down to the lowest brightness, i cant really see myself very well. I'm sure however that outside on a laptop it would be different. Maybe my room is just dark. I find it fine...

[if a mod can be bothered could you please merge my posts? didnt see this one til later. thanks]

PeterQC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
Howcome it is said that they remove the glass from the front and put a metal bezel on?

I would've thought they just wouldn't put the glass on in the first place... :confused:

$50 seems a bit silly to me. Oh well.

The matte screen is not the same, so it might be a little more expensive for Apple to put it here (cost of the screen, bezel milling, anodizing...)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Wirelessly posted (Nokia 5800 Tube XpressMusic : Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; U; Series60/5.0 Nokia5800d-1/10.0.010; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

It's only more expensive because it's non-standard configuration, which takes them more time to do.

marbles

macrumors 68000
Apr 30, 2008
EU mostly
Shoot, I don't have to do that. Some people, cough cough, post on every single post that I read yesterday. When someone calls me a retard, I pretty much have to consider replying to every post, but in this case it would be impossible. There simply isn't enough time in the day.

Still LMAO. Sometimes we all just need to laugh off the bad days. I love Mac Rumors, where else in life do people call others names like retard? Oh, the playground that we grow out of by age eight.

Still LMAO. No really, this is fun. I love learning all things Apple/Mac, and this is definitely one way to do it. Heck, I wouldn't love my iPhone or Macs nearly as much if there wasn't a MacRumors.com for me to use my Apple products.

Cheers everybody.

Let's all have fun while we are here.
Totally agree :)

u bought the air over the macbook pro? interesting...i am kind of disappointed and will be returning this macbook pro

thank you all for the replies...I may just go for the air or just a high end PC...isn't the air still glossy though

Why don't you just pick up the current whitebook ? basically the same internals as the alu MB , I'm doing that shortly and then (hopefully) when Apple see sense and give people the option for matte on the 15" pro I'll sell the white n upgrade...

Do they make an anti-glare film ala iPhone for the MBP?
http://www.google.com/products?q=anti+glare+screen+filter+laptop&btnG=Search&show=dd
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=A0196362&cs=19&c=us&l=en
^They might be alright

AluminumMB

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
I am getting used to the glossy screen and have doubts on Apple's stance on matte screens so I may just keep it plus I got everything on here anyway now

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
according to Kastenbrust I'm a "retard"

Where did i write this?.....Exactly i didn't
Don't lie please.

According to him, most of us "arn't" smart enough to be on this site

Where did i write this? Your making a habit of lying aren't you.

The CPUs are not going to change until 3rd quarter 2010 when Apple gets the Core i7 mobile CPUs

What else can Apple do? Its fairly common sense, there wont be a new range of processors until then, and before that all Apple can do is speed bump which will disturb the current Apple line up, Apple are in a trap and being forced to follow Intel's business plan for once rather than their own, which is causing issues for them.
Its at moments like this that i bet Apple wish they were still running with their G core PPC lineup.

We are NOT going to get matte on the 15.4" MBP

Even Tallest knows this, come on man, theres so many reasons, Schiller said so, but even if we dont analyze his every word it makes business sense, people wouldn't pay $300 more for the 17" if all you got was 2 extra inches of screen space.
Apple are so disguted they're even having to offer a matte 17" that they don't advertise it on their site....or anywhere for that matter, so no-one can say they produce it to make profit from people who want a matte version. Steve even talked about it at Apples biggest yearly conference (Macworld) like it was something that he found on the bottom of his shoe.
No changes on anything until Jobs gets back.

Do you even have any idea how anal this guy is? He uses his own iPod music when giving business presentations, and is well known for being a perfectionist pedantic, nothing gets released from Apple without his every slight approval and miniscule detail inspection.

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
Would be a crying shame :(. I hate the fact Apple tells us what we want - I'd much rather have the choice, and it would be better for everyone to have the choice as matte or glossy doesn't suit everyone.

Apple doesn't care what we want. Apple is a shareholder owned company and its first and only objective is to make money for the shareholders. It doesnt have to care how we feel, it doesnt have to do what we want, it doesnt care what we think, its sole, only and legal purpose is to make hard cash for the shareholders.

Thats capitalism for you :)

majordude

macrumors 68020
Apr 28, 2007
Hootersville
Apple doesn't care what we want. Apple is a shareholder owned company and its first and only objective is to make money for the shareholders. It doesnt have to care how we feel, it doesnt have to do what we want, it doesnt care what we think, its sole, only and legal purpose is to make hard cash for the shareholders.

Well, without consumers (you and I) there isn't any hard cash to be made.

I was an Apple computer user before they came up with the iPod and iPhone. Even with iPod's success they seems to support their computer division. But I've noticed that since the iPhone, they have changed priorities. They must be making a killing with those phones.

It seems to me that Apple would rather position itself as an electronics company (like Sony) instead of a computer company like Dell.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
There's really not much to upgrade all the MBPs with. I think the next update won't come until June/July, or perhaps an announcement in June, but a release in July or August or something.

OR, how about ONE WEEK after you stated this. That is right, the MBP received updates today too!

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Where did i write this?.....Exactly i didn't
Don't lie please.

Where did i write this? Your making a habit of lying aren't you.

What else can Apple do? Its fairly common sense, there wont be a new range of processors until then, and before that all Apple can do is speed bump which will disturb the current Apple line up, Apple are in a trap and being forced to follow Intel's business plan for once rather than their own, which is causing issues for them.
Its at moments like this that i bet Apple wish they were still running with their G core PPC lineup.

Even Tallest knows this, come on man, theres so many reasons, Schiller said so, but even if we dont analyze his every word it makes business sense, people wouldn't pay $300 more for the 17" if all you got was 2 extra inches of screen space.
Apple are so disguted they're even having to offer a matte 17" that they don't advertise it on their site....or anywhere for that matter, so no-one can say they produce it to make profit from people who want a matte version. Steve even talked about it at Apples biggest yearly conference (Macworld) like it was something that he found on the bottom of his shoe.

Do you even have any idea how anal this guy is? He uses his own iPod music when giving business presentations, and is well known for being a perfectionist pedantic, nothing gets released from Apple without his every slight approval and miniscule detail inspection.

You are right, you didn't type in retard, you used a photo and typed it on the photo you included with your message.

How about the new updates to the 15" MBP, TODAY, including yes the CPU.

And I especially am enjoying just how wrong your last statement was!

LMAO all day today. Seriously this is a great day just because you are wrong. I love it when people that know it all eat their words. And my friend, today you are eating your words.

:D

Great day for Apple.

asqy

macrumors regular
May 3, 2005
Australia
For any kind of sustained use of the laptop, especially for wordprocessing or editing of large documents over long periods of time, say over the workday or for assignments, maxi reflective glass will only strain your eyes.

I have found the amount of gloss on the macbook air to be acceptable. But the amount of glare on the new glass ones is amazing. Total form over function.

I would consider the macbook pro 15 with a matt display to replace my aging IBM t42, however

GlynJones

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2005
The other option is to keep an eye on the refurb store and wait for the Early 2008 MBP with Matte screen. They do appear from time to time and I managed to snag one and save £500 to boot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.