Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
The amount of internet buzz is one thing, but its hard to ignore now exactly how great Apple is doing at the moment. I mean, from the perspective of a Mac user of nearly 20 years it is just hard to comprehend exactly what is going on right now. Apple and the Mac OS are growing so big right now. They just have everything going for them and I am just blown away by the numbers and products that have been created in the New-Age Jobs era.

There are hiccups here and there, but nothing is stopping the fact that they are hard to ignore right now. To see how things can change so quickly is very exciting, and I'm not talking over night change, but the Mac and matured OS X, iPod, iTunes, and now iPhone, has built the momentum behind Apple's current hot streak to a frightening speed in the past years. Let's make the world see what side the 'desktop window' close button always has been on.

byakuya

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007
I wouldn't go that far, but if the Mac gains 20% market share it's going to be incredibly difficult to ignore :)

yep...
I think a market share of 10-15% is realistic. (in the long run)
hopefully a growing market share wont have negative side effects like viruses and so on...

byakuya

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK
I wouldn't go that far, but if the Mac gains 20% market share it's going to be incredibly difficult to ignore :)

Yes, i think i wouldn't like Apple to dominate the market. Instead, a powerful, solid 20% or so would be fantastic. Then maybe in the future we'll see a 5% or so share for the Open Source Market, and Google and MS can fight out the remaining 75%.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
yep...
hopefully a growing market share wont have negative side effects like viruses and so on...

byakuya
As long as Windows is still insecure as hell there's no need to worry. Who's going to put all the time and effort into developing a Mac virus when you can create one for Windows in a tenth of the time and with far less knowledge?

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
London, UK
Personally, I'm kinda sad. I was happier when I was the user of a super-cool niche platform.

When half the population can put together a photo book in 15 minutes, make their own website, create a DVD, and all those other cool things, where am I going to direct my pent-up smugness?

:eek:

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Personally, I'm kinda sad. I was happier when I was the user of a super-cool niche platform.

When half the population can put together a photo book in 15 minutes, make their own website, create a DVD, and all those other cool things, where am I going to direct my pent-up smugness?

:eek:
Buy a Prius :p

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
yep...

byakuya

fortunately the underlying OS in inherantly more secure, partly because of apple's decisions to drop old platforms and move on (classic no longer supported, dos apps are still supported last time I looked at windows) and partly because of UNIX goodness. I'm not saying it wont happen, but it'll be really hard to do. Especially with the new application signing in leopard.

byakuya

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007
fortunately the underlying OS in inherantly more secure, partly because of apple's decisions to drop old platforms and move on (classic no longer supported, dos apps are still supported last time I looked at windows) and partly because of UNIX goodness. I'm not saying it wont happen, but it'll be really hard to do. Especially with the new application signing in leopard.

true...
but I'd hate to have to install antivirus just to be on the safe side...right now there really is no reason but who knows what will happen if market shares will grow...

byakuya

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Anyone think Apple's going to branch out into other areas soon? Maybe a true "home computer" that controls all the devices in a home (appliances, lights, garage doors, alarm systems) or do you think they'll stick with their bread and butter. I would like to see them take the leap into a total digital lifestyle where my MBP can turn on my car, unlock my home, and feed my cat.

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006
Anyone think Apple's going to branch out into other areas soon? Maybe a true "home computer" that controls all the devices in a home (appliances, lights, garage doors, alarm systems) or do you think they'll stick with their bread and butter. I would like to see them take the leap into a total digital lifestyle where my MBP can turn on my car, unlock my home, and feed my cat.

Anything is possible. They already make phones, media players, computers and computer accressorys (by which I mean monitors etc.) (anything i've missed out?)

byakuya

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007

I honestly hope they won't.
I think they should focus more on computers...while the iphone certainly is great I think many apple fans are already a little annoyed by all the mac unrelated hype...at least that's how I feel at the moment...

byakuya

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
I think they should focus more on computers...while the iphone certainly is great I think many apple fans are already a little annoyed by all the mac unrelated hype...at least that's how I feel at the moment...

byakuya

I'm just looking down the road a bit. Computers continue to integrate themselves into more and more aspects of our daily lives. As the computer evolves, how far do you think Apple will go to stay ahead of the curve? They started with computers, branched into music and movies (players and distribution), and now they've combined it all into a computing, music and movie playing phone. What's the next step?

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006

byakuya

Anyone who wanted Mac-related hype got they wanted today didnt they? :D

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Buy a Prius :p

Good for you!
"Thaaaaanks!"
(South Park anyone?)

The Mac market will continue to grow and that is fine and all. The only issue I have with this is the continuing number of naysayers that the Mac is only a visual treat (which is the typical crap I hear). Though I hear this about Vista as well, which if you are used to OS X doesn't make much sense.

Viruses is something I'm still not convinced will be a big issue in the coming years and I will continue to enjoy my computers security, it is a natural evolution that the security will have to evolve or else succumb to malware.

More Mac users means more people claiming this Mac 'cult-status', that kinda bugs me because I (and many others here) have been around long before OS X and the coming of Jobs again, and to hear others talk like they are power users can be kinda lame. Oh well, the least you can do is accept them as being able to see the crap that MS has been providing and they don't want to take it anymore.

Don't nickel and dime Apple's faults, be proud of its incredible success. You can't please everyone all the time.
At the moment I think Apple is pleasing most people most of the time.

byakuya

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007
Anyone who wanted Mac-related hype got they wanted today didnt they? :D

true too:)

but guessing from the reviews (newsweek, wallstreet, etc.) it wasn't the "wow how revolutionary" upgrade.
still excited to purchase leopard though (probably in the next few weeks or so, once I got the cash lol).

byakuya

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Even I was thinking this, I got my first mac is 2004, and I've been thinking how far Apple has come, in that short of a period of time.

(Also I know a bit about their whole history, which makes it all the more impressive)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.