Wow, are IPhones really this bad?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by flyingphil, Jul 23, 2009.

1. flyingphil macrumors newbie

Well, I could get a new phone every week at this rate. Waited and waited and waited for the heap of junk (good when it works) 32Gb IPhone 3GS to come out and bought mine on the 19th June in the UK. Great little device but as mentioned on an earlier posting, it kept shutting down on a random basis.

The nice manager at the O2 shop replaced it for me today with a brand spanking new one. Only trouble is that this one is faulty as well. It had absolutely no charge in the shop and so I left it charging for several hours before doing anything with it. Behaved very strangely when it came off charge and then died during a restore in ITunes. The funny thing is the screen is all white and I can't turn it off now so it will be interesting to see what the shop make of it when I return it. Bought on PAYG at a stonking £540 and to be honest I would actually expect a better product for that price.

I don't buy many gadgets like this so is this the norm? Have Apple rushed a product out to the streets that is fundamentally flawed or have they just got poor quality control?

Anyway, I'll get my 3rd IPhone in 5 weeks soon - at least I get to peel the protective films off for a 3rd time and get that consumer satisfaction.

2. big_malk macrumors 6502a

Sounds like you've just been particularly unlucky.
    The silent/ringer switch came of mine (got it replaced), but I had a habit of playing with that in my pocket so it probably had an average years use each day.

3. za9ra22 macrumors 6502

One person's experience is not all that indicative of everyone's experience. There are some who, like you, have had more than one bad unit, but we never hear from the hundreds and hundreds of thousands - perhaps millions - of users who don't have any issues at all. Because those people don't provide the counterbalance to the bad experiences, it doesn't mean the bad experiences are all there are.

Judging from your second experience, I can't help but wonder if the shop didn't recycle out a returned unit without checking it - or without noticing the problem.

Take it back, cross your fingers. If Apple's quality control was as bad as could be inferred from your 2-for-2 failure rate, or the product was rushed to market before flaws were resolved in the design, every iPhone forum would be seething with complaints!

4. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

No :)

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

+1 ^^^ I've only had one replacement NIB 3GS, so far....:p:p:p

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

The only "problem" I've had is finding devices to charge this thing with. Thing is that's not a problem, just a deal. Apparently, a lot of the old accessories (clock radios) that worked on the first-gen iPhones didn't work with the 3G, and now the 3GS.

But that's been the only issue I've had. Everything else is A-OK. Battery could go longer, but the speed increase over EDGE sure is nice.

7. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

My household owns a combined four iPhones.

2 3G 8 GIG Black Ones and 2 3GS 16 GIG Black Ones

Haven't had to return one yet. Though, I admit that one of my 3G's has the light leak but I don't care.

And my 3GS seems to be put together crooked as the glass is lopsided by about 2mm when compared to the bezel. Again, more slight cosmetic stuff that is only noticeable by me and not worth risking getting a worse unit.

8. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I went through several replacements with my 3G but I think Apple were quite smart keeping the same design. The quality control on the 3GS seems to be a lot higher.

That or I just got lucky. Had my 3GS since launch day and it's pretty much perfect (quarter inch slight light leak on upper left).

9. saldawop macrumors regular

I had the silent/ringer button fall off of my 9 month old 3G . It was replaced without arguement. Thats been the only problem with my iPhones (2G and 3G).
    You have just been unlucky.

10. Ninja Dom macrumors 6502

Ninja Dom

I had the SAME problem with my 32Gb 3GS (Ninja Black).

It would turn itself off a couple of times a day regardless of how full the battery was.

I got it exchanged with O2 for another one and this one has been sweet. Over 2 weeks using the replacement and not one problem...yet!

I've also had a 2G and a 3G iPhone and those units were fine, first time round.

11. Alexwithad macrumors 6502

Hahaha I enjoyed this. But I got a faulty iPhone 3GS too, but I had it replaced. Mine just kept freezing/locking up. Just think about it out of millions of phones produced there are a few bad ones. Other phones have the same problems just not as populated because not as many users, or as many users to share the information on a forum like this.

12. JennaLDS macrumors 6502

JennaLDS

Never had a problem with either of my iphones, but, both were 1st generations, so IDK.. what killed my first one was.. well.. me.

13. MadMacxxx macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

DFU mode restore or hard reset? [​IMG]
    Because honestly, unless your iPhone has some hardware issues then you should just keep it...... and yes, I know that the phone shouldn't do things like that, but if it's just software then you wont be getting a replacement... if fresh a restore set up as a new iphone doesnt solve things, then I dont know what to say except 3.0 software sucks, or you've been on an unlucky streak with Apple.

14. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

Don't forget to check the rattle on your replacement.

15. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

This is my first iPhone, but it's been flawless since day 1. Sorry you're having such bad luck!

16. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

This has replaced the dreaded "yellow screen" and bezel as the new thing to be OCD about. :)

17. nick4597 macrumors newbie

I'm on my second 3Gs. First unit had call issues, screeching and "call failed" messages on more than half of all calls. Second phone has worked flawlessly.

18. JForestZ34 macrumors 6502a

If you had the 3G how many times did you have to return that unit for a new one..???

James