Wow, AT&T released their GPS Navigator software for iPhone.

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by duelingdragons, Jun 23, 2009.

1. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

2. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

are you saying you want all the map data stored on the phone?

3. co.ag.2005 macrumors 68000

co.ag.2005

I do! Traveling the mountains of Colorado or even the plains from here to Texas, cell service is intermittent (due to terrain blockage and frankly, lack of population). Using G-Map (West) has been nice because the maps are stored on my iPhone and I don't need a cell signal for the app to work.

4. ckurt25 macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

Hey Neighbor (I'm in West Bloom ;) ), I'd guess for maps of the whole US that you're looking at approx 1 GB. I had a TomTom One and there were SD cards with maps that you could buy for it that were 1 GB in size so I don't see a problem storing all that on the phone. Maybe it will let you select regions to sync on the iPhone while letting you keep the entire US stored on your computer. Like a Great Lakes Regions with Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois & Wisconsin. Throw in a coupe of other states and I'd guess you're only talking 250 MB or less.

5. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

oh ok i figured that it would take more space than that but i guess it makes sense

6. dagomike macrumors 65816

turn by turn navigation is nice, but not sure if it's worth the price. Google maps easily lays out hte route and tracks me. It would be nice to just have it open and tell me where to go so I don't have to think, but not sure if that's worth the cost of admission. Plus, you're using your phone for a dedicated task while driving. You're going to drain battery unless you want to buy what's certainly to be a pricey holder/adapter. And then what happens if you have a case? Do you need to remove your iphone every time you want to drive somewhere?

7. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

With a new 32GB phone, 1GB for the map is well worth it to me.

8. NightStorm macrumors 68000

Why is this so funny? This is the exact same navigation plan AT&T offers with all of their compatible phones. It's also the exact same price that other carries (i.e. Verizon) charge for this service.

Let me guess, you think it should be free and they should just be grateful since you're a "loyal" customer? :rolleyes:

9. duelingdragons thread starter macrumors 65816

You mad?
    I'm laughing mainly due to the fact that you have to be within their coverage area in order to acquire the information. The GPS for the UK which was released yesterday stores the maps locally.

No need to freak out.

10. akm3 macrumors 68020

Yea and it's crap. I'm stick of monthly fees for everything. Let me BUY something instead of rent it.

11. The General macrumors 601

It's funny because anyone who would pay $10/mo to use a piece of software is mad. Stark raving mad.

12. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Well, if you only need navigation twice a year, then it's stark raving mad to pay $100 when you could pay $20.

Just playing Devil's Advocate.

13. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

Exactly. I need a GPS for a trip coming up, so the decision was (1) rent GPS from Hertz for $9.99/day ($50 total + tax), get the G-Maps East version for $24 (no voice alerts, poor routing), or 1 month of AT&T Navigator for $9.99. Easy decision.

14. akm3 macrumors 68020

This is a good model I didn't consider. Is it possible to easily turn your subscription on and off?

15. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

Yep - it says right on the page that you can activate/deactivate whenever you want. Even gives the 800 # and the webpage at which to do so and warns that deleting the app does not equal stopping the service. I'm glad they were up front about the model.

16. vertigo235 macrumors 6502

I hate that there are two threads for this, however I would like to know if anyone knows the answer.

Is the $9.99 per phone or for all the phones on an account? I know that in the app store all my phones can use the same apps, however i don't know how the AT&T navigator works.

17. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Looks like you have to do it via the AT&T website.

18. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Both have their advantages.

If you are somewhere without service, but GPS is up, then having the maps on the phone is worth it.

On the flip side, if you RARELY use navigation, like me, then the 10 per month where you can cancel it any time you want is probably the way to go.

Just got to way the options.

19. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Similar to when my parents have used it on VZN.

There was a massive accident in LA on their way to the airport, having lived in the area.... in the 70's, they really needed up to date routing. It got them around it all and to the airport in time. Worth the $10! (they have Nav built into their car for all the other times).