Wow - big difference in battery on iPad 2 - worse!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bunger, Mar 15, 2011.

1. bunger macrumors 6502

I've got both versions of the iPad and I am noticing how poor the battery is on the iPad 2. I have lost 6% of my battery just reading forum posted and checking twitter/Facebook for about 35 minutes!?

Has anyone else noticed this?

Oops... Just lost another %.... Make that 7% loss...

2. Munitalp macrumors 65816

Go have a beer and relax, you'll feel better then :)

3. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Time for some maths:

35 minutes / 7% = 8 1/3 hours
    35 minutes / 6% = 9.72 hours

4. TheXIIIth macrumors member

I noticed it during the first 24 hours of usage.
    I ran it down to 9% before recharging it which seem to take a bit longer when compared to the amount of time it took to charge my original iPad.

After the first recharge my iPad 2 is getting close to the battery life I was seeing with the original. I suspect that 1, 2 or 3 more drain/charge cycles [battery conditioning] will get me back to battery life I was seeing before.

5. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

I have both over here too and I think the Batt is fine. No problem here.

6. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

My first charge seemed to last forever, despite me trying anything & everything including heavy video usage, etc. On my second charge it was the exact opposite. The battery went down faster than one of Charlie Sheen's dates!

I think there must have been a glitch in something I was running and it continued to use resources and cause battery drain. I have push off, BT off, etc. We'll see how things go over the next few weeks.

7. gravytrain84 macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

Battery life is fine with me... I work 12 hr shifts and I havent needed my charger yet. :D

8. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

What, do you have Sheenis envy? :D

9. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

This can happen. Onetime I had a bad app Running in the background of my iPhone 4 that drained my batt in a few hours.

10. dadoftwogirls macrumors 6502

dadoftwogirls

I have both and it seems like mine 2 drains a little faster but haven't done any real use comparisons. It isn't enough to warrant concern. I think with it being brand new I have hardly put it down in the first few days and am using it more than my iPad 1. That is probably speeding up the process as well as making more aware of looking at things like the battery. A few days from now, the battery will be an afterthought.

11. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I think the battery needs to be conditioned. Out of the box and after the first charge cycle it seemed to drain quickly, but now it seems to be a lot better.

12. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

Lithium batteries need 2-3 full cycles before reaching peak storage capacity.

13. marcellus7 macrumors newbie

I dunno my battery has seemed to last forever, used mine for probably 5 hrs yesterday with music, web, videos, GarageBand and I'm still at 62% now. The last time I charged it was Sunday night.

14. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

Probably the best feature of the iPad right there (super long battery life). :)

15. OptyCT macrumors 6502

When I first got the iPad 2, I played around 6 hours (not continuous) of Infinity Blade and the battery was still around 40%. You cannot base battery life on extrapolated figures, such as "I surfed the web for 30 minutes and it's run down 10% already". To determine battery life, you have to run the battery all of the way down. Only then will you know what the battery life is. My guess is that, through normal computing use, you'll experience close to the published 10 hours of battery life.

16. sigamy macrumors 65816

My kids are hogging my iPad 2, playing tons of games. By the time I got to use it last night around 10pm, battery was around 38%, which I thought was a bit low.

Do I need to condition the battery? --Should I let the battery go all the way down to nothing and do a full charge?

17. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Disable "Ping" under restrictions. Ping is a battery hog in ios 4.3.

18. citivolus macrumors 6502a

For those with both iPads, it would be interesting (and more accurate) to compare battery usage with both of them running 4.3.

19. gravytrain84 macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

What exactly will this do? Besides the obvious

20. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Not too sure, but I believe Ping is constantly using push which decreases battery life. I don't use it so I disabled it. Ping is Apple's music social networking for iTunes. I really don't care what music anyone else purchases or likes so I don't need it.

21. OptyCT macrumors 6502

Always a good idea with a new product. Let the battery drain all the way down until it shuts itself down. Then charge it back up. Once at the beginning is sufficient, then once a month thereafter.

22. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I find the battery dramatically better on Original iPad. No comparison really.

23. lvm3912 macrumors newbie

That's what I'm planning on doing soon- I feel like the raw battery power is the same, but it drains much faster in daily tasks like email on the iPad 2. My iPad 2 will lose 3% on standby with nothing on in less than 8 hours, where the iPad 1 would lose 1% if anything. When I do a raw battery test though like a video loop, it does just as well or better than the iPad 1. My experiences definitely make me feel like it's OS level. Hopefully it's fixed soon if it is.

24. Richard8655 macrumors 6502

My guess on why better iPad1 battery life between charges might have a lot to do with iPad2's dual core processor needing a lot more power than iPad1's single core. There are reports of the iPad2's back plate getting noticeably warm over extended use... something not observed with iPad1.

25. Good.Shepherd macrumors member

Yup. I was just going to say this.

I disabled Ping and am on my 4th full cycle. I got a full 11.1 hours of constant netflix playing today. No other apps open in the background, and I just let it run on a side table while I worked today.

My old ipad never got to 11. 10.5 was my best.

Without disabling Ping I was getting 8-9.

This is just my one, single anecdote.