Wow, biggest thunderstorm in years.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iMpathetic, Mar 4, 2008.

1. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Good Lord! Sheets of rain have been coming down since 7:00 this evening, off and on.

Lightning frequent, and it's starting to hail. My sister is freaking out. :(

You guys got any severe weather stories?

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

We've had freezing raid and snow here since about 13:00 in Indianapolis. When I came home and checked for the mail, I had to kick the mailbox open because it was frozen shut. Doesn't sound as severe as what you're getting, though

3. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Grr, I regret moving to Texas - My hometown in Arkansas just got 7 inches of snow.:mad:

While we down here are stuck in a drought.... As is the norm for March - September. :(

I really hate this state

4. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

You should come down here around October. Rain does not stop for a whole month, it is really depressing. I guess the lightouts that accompany it make it even worse.

5. iMpathetic thread starter macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

6. apsterling macrumors 6502a

apsterling

Stop complaining. The desert owns all your drought troubles. Actually, we've been rather green recently.

Sandstorms are fun, as were Hurricanes back when I lived in Florida.

7. iJesus macrumors 6502a

iJesus

Today was really warm and nice.
    In fact, in two of my classes my teacher's decided to hold class outside,
    it was great.

I was almost tempted to jump into the lake (if I didn't know that the Lake was sooo cold)

8. aristobrat macrumors G5

I think what you had there around 7:00PM is just about to arrive here! :eek:

Judging by the kitty factor (all three of our quasi-outdoor cats have demanded to be let inside over the last hour), it's gonna be good. :)

Attached Files:

9. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

We had 8" to 10" of pretty heavy, wet snow over the weekend in parts of the Catskills. Yesterday it was 48ºF, so the snow began melting big time. It has also rained more than 2" in the past 20 hours. So now we're on flood watch. The snowpack, the frozen ground and all that rain will put the Susquehanna and Delaware branching rivers up 6 or 8 feet. Most of them were full enough that they'll be over banks by tomorrow night.

I have 8-foot glaciers plowed up at the ends of my driveways, but the drives are now just long, muddy ponds waiting for a chance to freeze up or advance into my cellar. I vote for the cold snap!

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

When Sydney gets hail, cars are sometimes destroyed, cracked, and sometimes, they're dented so hard that it starts to look like my punching bag (you know....since I'm so strong and all). Entire car dealerships get completely pwned.

11. LifeIsCheap macrumors regular

You're not wrong. I work for a big supermarket chain and our main NSW state warehouse was wiped out in a hail storm two weeks before Christmas. Yup, asbestos roof with hailstones bigger than golf balls punching through it is seriously not good! All stock written off, decontamination and a new roof needed (and all claimed against insurance). Millions of $ in damages :(

12. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

tornado in may 1996. Dad and brother were in the house, I was elsewhere. The tornado went right through our house, blew our 20 by 20 foot glass window to oblivion, collapsed the front of the houses roof, fell several trees onto the house, and the worst part was for my dad and bro. They were in the basement in the bathroom getting the air sucked out of their lungs due to the extreemely low air pressure, but they came out unscratched. Couldn't say that about the house it was totaled and took years to repair.

13. iMpathetic thread starter macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

I'm so sorry! :( How strong was the tornado? F4 or something?

14. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

It rained pretty hard here yesterday too. I was outside working on my car (under the carport) and it started raining like no other. I nearly lost the umbrella while walking toward the house.

I saw a car at my school like that the other day. It had golf ball sized dents all over it, but it was a gold Nissan so it was already pretty ugly.

15. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

Heh. We got 4-5 inches of snow, same storm.

Biggest ever?

Well, I wasn't born yet, but back in '92, there was this tornado that went straight through downtown in the middle of the day in one of the cities around here. Then(it gets better), it went really close to the 4H Fairgrounds, with the county fair being in full swing(animals, tons of people, the whole bit), swung near the similarly-full Wal-Mart, and proceeded to obliterate two subdivisions.

Not one person(or animal, if I recall correctly) killed.

Kinda amazing, when you think of it.

16. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I was stuck inside a Wal-Mart once due to a tornado warning.

Now that I think about it, it was probably illegal for them to force us to stay there.....

17. ToddW macrumors 6502a

Can't agree with you more. I miss living in Arkansas a lot. Go Hogs, WPS!

18. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

It was an F3 mostly, at times an F4. My dad and brother had to race down the road to the house before the tornado got to it first so they could get some shelter. Thankfully there weren't any deaths from that storm.

19. chrismac00 macrumors 6502a

It was last year that one of my friends who is a hair stylist was cutting my hair in my garage. It was raining pretty hard but it didn't seem like a tornado passed by. Well it did. My aunt lived down the street and her single family home fence fell completely fell and right across the street a home was completely destroyed :( The kitchen area was hit the hardest and it took approximately 1 year to destroy. Luckily, we didn't see anything or hear anything and the only reason that we found out this happened was that my aunt had a baby and she brought her over for safety.:rolleyes:

20. iMpathetic thread starter macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Yesterday, I swear, the biggest puddles formed! :eek: Well, my father's Saab 9-3 convertible (to give you some idea of how big it is) was going down a road near our house, when there was a crash, and there was zero visibility due to riding through a foot-deep hundred-foot-long puddle. I'm surprised we didn't crash and burn....:rolleyes:

It was really, really fun.

21. neoserver macrumors 6502

The biggest storm that I've witnessed (or remembered haha) was a couple years ago, had one hell of a thunderstorm. The freeways ended up getting completely flooded under the bridges because the storm sewers couldn't handle the load. I also remember manhole covers being lifted out of their holes because the system was overloaded too. We were caught on that freeway (thankfully not under a bridge) towing our holiday trailer to our home. It was a tense hour or two, thats for sure.

But the biggest storm to hit Edmonton was the tornado in 87. Two years before I was born, from what i've heard from my parents and other sources, it ripped through the neighborhood that my parents were living in at the time, but thankfully, missed the house, as both my parents were home... I might not have been born!

22. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

I personally like thunderstorms, as long as they don't produce tornadoes or staring hailing on my car. I don't do hail...

It rained here for 30 minutes or so, but most of the time it was just thundering and the wind was blowing really hard.

23. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yeah We're just coming out of our March - September drought.

Problem is it was March 1998 till September 2007.

24. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

Has been raining all day here in Waco, TX and colder for Texas (37 degrees right now)

Attached Files: