Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XP Defector

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2006
My Mattbook all of a sudden refuses to boot. Literally I just drove up from my fathers house, unpacked it and opened it - nothing happened. It was in sleep mode. The battery indicator on the left is showing all green (should this be there constantly?). I'm quite puzzled... Any ideas?

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
Have you tried holding the Power button down for 8 seconds? Hold it and then try to start it afterward.

No, the green lights should not be on, and if the notebook is off the white light on the front (next to the black infrared receiver) should be off as well.

XP Defector

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2006
Thanks for advice but no good apparently. I wonder why the battery lights are constantly on? Maybe something shorted, I don't have power adapter with me now so I can not try booting from the wall. Oh lord how utterly disappointing Apple :(

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
Hm, this is certainly odd. My only advice is to unplug the battery for 20 seconds.

To my knowledge the battery is held in with one phillips screw. When you start up the only issue you may have is it may warn you that the date is set before 2008. =\

angusslo

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2009
Hm, this is certainly odd. My only advice is to unplug the battery for 20 seconds.

To my knowledge the battery is held in with one phillips screw. When you start up the only issue you may have is it may warn you that the date is set before 2008. =\
he said that he has unibody MBP. unibodies don't have replacaple battery. and since laptop is new, i wouldn't play with warranty.

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
-.-'

The unibody models have INTEGRATED batteries, which simply mean they're not considered "user replaceable" by Apple. They are removable just as the hard drive and optical drive are, so again it can be removed and replaced to allow the MacBook Pro to decomatize, which I recommend in this case.

XP Defector

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2006
Thanks but voiding warranty on an apparently brand new and broken 1300 pound machine is not within my best interests.

I did replace the HD which to my understanding does not void warranty. I actually sold the stock on eBay to pay for the upgrade. Do you think Apple will request the original HD if I ask for a replacement?

thanks.

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
Um...it's new but you've already replaced the hard drive and sold the old one? Just how new is it?

Give Apple a ring up and explain that it simply isn't booting and they will offer a course that WON'T void your warranty then.

XP Defector

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2006
As I said, a couple of weeks. As soon as it arrived I replaced the stock drive to a WD 500GB. I wonder why the battery levels are constantly illuminated? Maybe the battery has a problem here? I'll go back home and plug it in and see if it boots.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
You should have your power cable with you and I would have avoided selling the original drive to be honest. At least right away.

Like I said, take it back but it is not "brand new", your title is misleading.

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
As I said, a couple of weeks. As soon as it arrived I replaced the stock drive to a WD 500GB. I wonder why the battery levels are constantly illuminated? Maybe the battery has a problem here? I'll go back home and plug it in and see if it boots.

sounds like your smc just needs to be reset

XP Defector

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2006
Hi just had the power adapter brought - ok so it booted straight from sleep and went back into OSX when I connected it to the wall. In OSX it says "No battery Available" - ??? I will try reset now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.