Wow, cheapest I've seen for a ATI 4870...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by AppleWorking, Jul 29, 2009.

1. AppleWorking macrumors regular

http://cgi.ebay.com/GENUINE-Apple-M...in_0?hash=item3a51433b36&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I was thinking of bidding on this because it's so cheap, like very for a genuine card. :p;) I have one in my MP, but will it work on older Macs also? My sister has a older one. Apple says only 2009 and 2008 models but is it confirmed that it will work on all models? Thanks

(Also I don't want to mess around with the hassle of hacking a PC card... I want the mini port so she can use a ACD.)

2. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

Looks like a few other people have some interest in it too. You may do better to look elsewhere as I am sure the winning bid will be higher then what you are looking for.

3. MacVidCards Suspended

especially now that you've posted it here

or are you the crafty seller?

FWIW, I managed to find an OEM 4870 right after the card came out.

Someone had it "Buy It Now" for $150. They seemed to have thought "OK...$200 new with the Mac....so I'll subtract $50 for it being used"

I still plan to figure out the 5.0GTs problem with it.

4. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

5. netkas macrumors 65816

what problem ?

link speed reporting in system profiler based on IOPCIExpressLinkStatus key in device's node in ioregistry

it's set by IOPCIFamily when creating device, basing on information from PCI COnfiguration space.

the value can easily be overwrited by any injector (for example a mini-natit).

real link speed you can get with lspci utility for osx from joblo (posted in another thread)

i dont see here any problems after all.

6. aibo macrumors 6502

quoted ftw.

why would he share the link, if he's trying to get it cheap?

Also, it's not a Buy-It-Now so obviously it wasn't gonna end at that price. So why would he state it's such a good deal if he doesn't know the final price? Cause he's trying to generate interest in his auction. This thread should be deleted.

7. MacVidCards Suspended

according to that Ars Techica writer named Beige, he could document that a flashed 1 Gig 4870 that displayed 2.5 Gts was SLOWER in Mudbox than a OEM 4870 512 running at 5.0 Gts

If he was right, it was more than cosmetic.

8. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

Every bodies assuming he is the seller. What if he is not? Should the thread be deleted than? If he is that is good marketing. I think either way the thread should stay...

9. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

Oh come on, the question he asked was "Does the 4870 work on 06 Mac" but the topic title was "Wow, cheapest 4870" and linking to a Ebay auction.

10. netkas macrumors 65816

did he provide output from lspci ?

i think he didnt. so we cant know had he 2.5 or 5.

11. shipra macrumors newbie